Top 3 things that turned you on to Opeth

"Nice Thread" :)

1/ The Drapery Falls (Edit) Kerrang Issue 844.

2/ Opeth's amazing live gig I saw at "Mean Fiddler" London last September, I was standing above "Bass Player" :) on the balcony watching over them and headbanging. :D

FOM = Sublime, they should play this more often live imo. :loco:

Axe had such a serious expession on his face, drumming like crazy, great, thanks man. :)

3/ Their Kindness, Honesty and Humanity, I discovered this during their Uk tour in November/December 2005 and seeing them on their amazing DVD Lamentations I bought for my 50th Birthday in October :headbang: :kickass:

Thanks guys, keep it up. :)

loved the live show. particularily the Deliverance U.S tour. Only had BWP and Deliverance at the time and had just got Still Life burned like a day before the show. ..was compeltely blown away.

1. The part leading into the acoustic interlude in Godhead's Lament plus the acoustic part following. It managed to express so well the feeling of despair followed by resolution that I was constantly facing during my rebellious teenage years.

2. When I bought MAYH I was amazed at the atmosphere conveyed by the prologue. I remember so well the day I bought the album - it was dark and stormy outside and it was pouring with rain. To this day, that prologue and the start of April Ethereal are like the musical representation of that storm.

3. The personality of the band members. I had heard and read a couple of interviews and was impressed by their sincerity which was far removed from the rock star attitude I was used to from other metal bands.

I heard Demon of the Fall about two years before I got into metal. I liked it because of the majesty of the song and especially the clean singing part at the end. I downloaded a couple other songs but the growling turned me off and I gave up on Opeth. Then last December after I was into metal for a couple of months I gave Opeth another try and bought Ghost Reveries, which was hitting big among the proggy crowd at my school. At first I was confused and put it on my shelf for a couple weeks. When I picked it up again I started to get hooked. I soon went out and got Morningrise, then Blackwater Park, etc...

1. The guitar work, including the solos. I'd never really listened to music like this before.

2. The song writting. I'll be honest, at first most of their songs sounded pretty random and messy, but I was only used to very straight forward stuff prior to this. So once I 'got it', i've never looked back.

3. Believe it or not (as I find it hard myself), but the other main factor was the vocals. I had never really listened to the heavy style vocals much, and after first only hearing Damnation, I found it hard to believe their other albums were the same band. But the fact Mike used such brutal vocals ontop of such beautiful guitar lines (not just dropped D chugga chugga riffs), really made me pay attention and take them in, and after awhile started to really like them.

Since then, and mainly thanks to this forum and particular ppl on it, i've been exposed to a wide variety of styles and genres.

1.) Bought Ghost Reveries after hearing MA and GOP (i know MA isnt on GR)
2.) Saw them live last November.
3.) Fell in love; now own all their cds and Lamentations.

In chronological order:

1. The level of musical ability and complexity in the songs.
2. The lyrical imagery.
3. The brutality with purpose, unlike goregrind that is like mindless noise.

1. Windowpane
2. 'What would they care' part of godheads
3. First 2 minutes of moonlapse vertigo

I don't remember what it was exactly but, i think I heard Harvest as the first song. And then I heard the whole Damnation record, and fell in love.
Then i got more and more into the more heavy tracks. Now I love it all.

So i have to say:

1. The dynamic between the heavy and the soft parts, and of course Mike's voice (both as an angel and satan) :worship:
2. Hard to explain, but it's their sound.. no one sounds like them, they are unike, I just love it!!
3. I like all their gitarplaying. The riffs, the solos and all the old harmonystuff!
And all the progressive-inspired soft tracks, its topp class!
Lopez drumming (was) very jazz'y, and i liked it, Mendez bass work, well, insane.. nuff said.

its all good.

I read a review of Blackwater Park, which described the music, and I immediately went out and bought it(I never do that without hearing the music first, but it sounded so good that I just had to get it). I have been in love with Opeth ever since:)

The three things would be:
1. The mix of ultra heavy riffs, growling, clean singing and acoustic passages that blend perfectly. In my opinion there is no other band that does this as well as Opeth.

2. The musicianship. Awesome solos, complex song structures, the best damn growl ever!

3. That the guys seem like really down-to-earth, nice people. There are too many obnoxious rockstars in the world!

Doomsinger said:
The mix of ultra heavy riffs, growling, clean singing and acoustic passages that blend perfectly. In my opinion there is no other band that does this as well as Opeth.
quite true