Top 5 Favourite bands (to get an idea of range)

;)
empyrium is in your top five but not opeth???????

is empyrium's music really similar to opeth's ? ...

i don't know why, but i don't really like opeth that much. i love "april ethereal" of mayh, but that's about it ... they are too prog rock orientated for my taste.
... and now i'll coil up to a ball and await severe verbal beatings from all those opeth addicts out there ... ...
;)

:) dont exaggerate it. i wont do anything of that kind.

of course the two bands are not similar but most opeth fans tend to like empyrium due to their dark, romantic style. april ethereal is indeed a great track. im sure you need a few listens to like opeth. give them a try. theyre my fave band.

give them a try.

well, i've tried for years ! especially because i love akerfeldt's growls.

but i haven't been successfull so far.
i even nearly fell asleep when i saw them live last year. i know they are great musicians, i love the lyrics, the vocals ... but still: something is missing ... ... ...

but i won't give up trying, i promise :)

1. Iced Earth
2. Therion
3. Sentenced
4. Virgin Black
5. Nightwish
6. Moonspell
7. Opeth
8. Blind Guardian
9. Arch Enemy or Anathema
10. Winds or My Dying Bride

Have to cheat abit and just name my top genre's of metal and in no particular order either:

Stoner Rock - (Sabbath, Kyuss, Quill, Spiritual Beggars, Trouble)
Prog - (Marillion, Rush, Genesis, Pink Floyd)
Prog Metal - (Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Anathema, Opeth)
Classic - (Rainbow, Aerosmith, Blackfoot, Alice Cooper, Burning Tree)
Total Metal - (Manowar, Maiden, Black Symphony, Motorhead)

There's a whole lot more of course, and I'm sure I've missed some of my fave's and not everyone will agree with the way I've grouped some bands and labels together, but I don't care - they're still bloody good bands whatever pigeon hole you want to pop them into.

Now - who can tell me what Jeff Buckley is like? Seems a few who have similar tastes to me also note him in their top 5 too.

i don't think J. B. is a depressive sad pop. 'grace' is more like a 90's update on 70's classic rock (close to Page/Plant), but he's actually as good as the best 60's-70's bands; he's got an original style and an incredible voice full of music... the tunes are more complex and the playing more lively than those of Katatonia or Anathema.

Difficult, difficult, difficult.
My number one band is Skepticism, that's for sure.
After that, there's My Dying Bride and Anathema.

But what else?... I have no idea. Too much to list.
I should add Debussy and Beethoven.
John Mayall. Winter. Eric Clapton. Jeff Buckley. Evoken. Tori Amos. Immortal. Nick Cave. Tindersticks. Unholy. Pink Floyd. Trail of Tears. Emperor. Levellers. Dead Can Dance. Bolt Thrower. Loreena McKennitt. Morgion. dEUS. Björk. Paradise Lost. Monteverdi. etc. *sigh*

*OPETH* (definately number one)

In no particular order

Mayhem
Emperor
Immortal
Children of Bodom

There are so many other bands that I should include though...but if it can only be five, it can only be five...hmph!!!

Guns N' Roses
Dan Swano or Nightingale
Anathema
Amorphis (New only)
Antimatter

Honorable Mention

Winds
Pink Floyd
Opeth

Originally posted by D Mullholand

you're the second person who brings up this band here... great music. i suspect many fans of Anathema will love them.
I think so too!
They're playing some kind of alternative rock, but have a very melancholic feel to most of their songs. Great atmosphere, and especially: great vocals!!

Some more music that fills up my record collection:
Smashing Pumpkins. Ulver. Radiohead. Opeth. Katatonia. R.E.M. Live. Insanity Reigns Supreme. Esoteric. Tchaikovski. Primordial. Simon & Garfunkel. Tristania. etc.