Top albums of 2016

Thats my thoughts exactly. I ALWAYS gave this band a chance when they released something new, never enjoyed it a bit. Same deal with Dream Theater. Its all gay and boring.

Thats my thoughts exactly. I ALWAYS gave this band a chance when they released something new, never enjoyed it a bit. Same deal with Dream Theater. Its all gay and boring.

Well then its not like you have a problem with "the album", you dont like the band (yet) and this is not the album to start with, its one of their weirdest and most pretentious album to date.
I guess The Great Cold Distance is a good start, and if thats still too gay for you then current Katatonia is not for you, try Brave Murder Day and the old stuff if you want heavy, if that doesnt work for you then you just suck, give up.

Brave Murder Day was only okay thanks to Akerfeldt, although it still sounded pretty generic, again, no memorable tunes. Still much better than their "not heavy" albums.

Well, they invented a boring genre, cogratz to them then. I havent heard enough good doom metal (does it count as doom?) to call doom metal a good genre. Yea, it may be good as a background music, but something to actively listen to or listen to on mp3? Nah. Even tried some tracks during a run throufh the woods, not good enough.

Objectively its probably a good album, but nowadays im looking for melodies or really good atmosphere and black metal / doom metal dont deliver. As i said in the first post, in 2016 metal overall didnt deliver.

Well you are not entitled to bash The Fall of Hearts then. :)

Have you heard Uada's debute album, Devoid of Light? MGLA style BM.

Last edited:
Top 10 2016:

1. Forteresse - Themes Pour La Rebellion
2. Deströyer 666 - Wildfire
3. Grand Magus - Sword Songs
4. Eternal Champion - The Armor of Ire
5. Wretch - Wretch
6. Panphage - Drengskapr
7. Asphyx - Incoming Death
8. Mordant - Demonic Satanic
9. Hellbringer - Awakened From the Abyss
10. Black Funeral - Ankou and the Death Fire

Honourable mentions:

Abbath - ST
Sodom - Decision day
Behexen - The Poisonous Path
Dark Funeral - Where Shadows Forever Reign
Desaster - Oath of an Iron Ritual
Destructor - Back in Bondage
Vader - The Empire

DIE!!!

Reactions: PhlegethonVeins
My album/discovery of the year was Young and in the Way - When Life Comes to Death, a crushing Black Metal freighttrain of self-loathing and hopelessness. But that album's from 2014..

My 2016 list would be:

1. The Wounded - Sunset (finally after 12 years, this is a great comeback album, Katatonia/Anathema fans listen NOW, that's an order!)
2. Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts (tough nut to crack, still can't say I'm crazy about it.. but my most-played album in 2016, so it deserves a place high in the list)
3. Blood Incantation - Starspawn (great Death Metal, so many elements combined, still very death metal)
4. Gatecreeper - Sonoran Depravation (kickass groovy death metal, crushing sound)
5. Svartelder - Pyres (excellent atmospheric and melodic Norwegian Black Metal)
6. Fifth To Infinity - Omnipotent Transdimensional Soulfire (very good (progressive?) Black/Death Metal with former Opeth drummer Lopez)
7. Epitaph - Sinner Waketh (groovy old school Stockholm Death Metal)
8. Testament - Brotherhood of the Snake (pretty good, not as good as the last one though)

Disappointments (more or less):
Megadeth - Dystopia (don't get what all the fuss is about, the fact that it's a more thrashy album doesn't automatically make it good. Thirteen was a much better album)
Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-destruct (should pay some more attention to it, but there's simply better and more interesting music to keep me busy, so it keeps being moved to the bottom of the pile)
Thenighttimeproject - Thenighttimeproject (nice, good, but not as good as I hoped)

Last edited:
Reactions: nizzon