Top ten bands that ruined metal in your opinion

Wow, this thread went to shit for no reason.

Old School Death Metal is Awesome. But so is Black, and Thrash Metal. Just because not everyone ONLY listens to your old school bands doesn't make them a pussy/ fag/ poser. The more you say those things the worse it makes YOU look, because you come off as a try-hard poser.

And Pantera is great, you can't deny how amazing Dimebag was at guitar. So what if he "drank alot" or was a "whitetrash" or whatever you say. Thats fucking metal: Sex, Drugs and Rock&Roll! :kickass: Cowboys from Hell is an amazing album. I haven't listened to Pantera in awhile but that doesn't mean they aren't fucking awesome.

People's musical tastes evolve man. The stuff i used to listen too,(which i consider to be a little gay sometimes), is not what I listen to anymore. I don't even listen to thrash anymore to tell you the truth. But it's not like i hate those bands since they aren't as brutal as Incantation. haha Save your hatred for bands that really do suck like Metalcore and Deahcore bands.

Edit: And you don't like guitar driven bands? WTF Isn't most Old School DM really guitar driven and riff based? you make no sense

This is one of the dumbest statements I've ever read.

Not all metal is super serious. All the old classic bands were all about drinking partying and making great music. It does sound cliche and 80's hair metal bands "gay-afied" the lifestyle but it was really prevelant in the early stages of rock and metal.

You seemed to have missed my point. I was saying that hating all those bands because they aren't as good as the bands you listen to now is pointless. Many of them came out BEFORE your Cannibal Corpse or Incantation. Metal evolves. Peoples tastes evolve.

I don't listen to bands anymore who really live up to the "Sex, Drugs, and Rock&Roll" lifestyle anymore, since I have matured and now look more for bands that create amazing ambiances and sounds and grooves or whatever. I love DM, I love Black Metal, I like Thrash, I hate anything that ends in core(except early grind core).

Can't we all just be friends?

I don't like CC. And no, metal wasn't originally a "sex, drugs, and rock n roll" genre. It was supposed to be a dark and evil genre. Sabbath said themselves that they wanted to scare the shit out of people. They didn't do it to get laid or any other bullshit like that.

Dimebag Darrell sucked at guitar. The average hairband guitarist could do what he did. I have no idea how he got so big.

I don't like CC. And no, metal wasn't originally a "sex, drugs, and rock n roll" genre. It was supposed to be a dark and evil genre. Sabbath said themselves that they wanted to scare the shit out of people. They didn't do it to get laid or any other bullshit like that.

They nearly broke up because of Drugs. Ok, maybe the whole Sex thing was made popular during the gay Hair Metal era. But drugs and alcohol have always been a part of metal.

Any why don;t you like CC? They are amazing, just because everyone knows about them doesn't mean their bad.... which is what I hope you weren't getting at.

Cannibal Corpse is mediocre, always has been. Corpsegrinder should've stuck with Monstrosity.

Go listen to Mozart or something.

They nearly broke up because of Drugs. Ok, maybe the whole Sex thing was made popular during the gay Hair Metal era. But drugs and alcohol have always been a part of metal.

Any why don;t you like CC? They are amazing, just because everyone knows about them doesn't mean their bad.... which is what I hope you weren't getting at.

They were Christians too, does that mean that metal is a Christian genre? Just because an idea was present in the originators of metal doesn't mean they wanted that idea to be associated with the genre itself. Black Sabbath's S/T track is the epitome of all things metal IMO and it was about evil shit, not drugs or pro-Christianity (even though Satan is technically a part of Christianity, it was glorifying the darker side of Christianity so it could easily be seen as anti-Christianity).

And CC is just overrated as fuck. The only thing they ever did that was even remotely interesting was The Bleeding.

They were Christians too, does that mean that metal is a Christian genre? Just because an idea was present in the originators of metal doesn't mean they wanted that idea to be associated with the genre itself. Black Sabbath's S/T track is the epitome of all things metal IMO and it was about evil shit, not drugs or pro-Christianity (even though Satan is technically a part of Christianity, it was glorifying the darker side of Christianity so it could easily be seen as anti-Christianity).

And CC is just overrated as fuck. The only thing they ever did that was even remotely interesting was The Bleeding.

Goddamnit man. Your not getting my point. The music wasn't about "Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll", the LIFESTYLE was.

When did Pantera sing about getting fucked up? I mean, they probably did a little but most of their songs wern't about that. And ofcoarse Black Sabbath wasn't singing about that. Oh wait, what about Sweet Leaf? I mean, they were about dark and deep shit too but all those bands had something to do with drugs or sex, etc...Ozzy and them were always getting really fucked up off stage.

So yes, rock&metal used to be alot about "sex, drugs and rock and roll." Maybe not in the music but they way they bands lived their lives.

I don't even know why we are even still arguing. I like alot of the bands you do:
Incantation
Asphyx(which is your sig by the way)
etc

All I'm saying is don't hate old bands just because they don't live up to new standards. Everything has a time and place.

Goddamnit man. Your not getting my point. The music wasn't about "Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll", the LIFESTYLE was.

When did Pantera sing about getting fucked up? I mean, they probably did a little but most of their songs wern't about that. And ofcoarse Black Sabbath wasn't singing about that. Oh wait, what about Sweet Leaf? I mean, they were about dark and deep shit too but all those bands had something to do with drugs or sex, etc...Ozzy and them were always getting really fucked up off stage.

So yes, rock&metal used to be alot about "sex, drugs and rock and roll." Maybe not in the music but they way they bands lived their lives.

I don't even know why we are even still arguing. I like alot of the bands you do:
Incantation
Asphyx(which is your sig by the way)
etc

All I'm saying is don't hate old bands just because they don't live up to new standards. Everything has a time and place.

Pantera sang about getting in bar fights and other dumb shit. But I'm talking about the atmosphere the music creates. There's nothing dark or sinister about Pantera's music, nor is there anything noteworthy about it either.
And even Sweet Leaf was dark considering what the mainstream was at the time. I don't hate old bands, I just hate shitty bands. Black Sabbath is way older than Pantera, and I love Sabbath but hate Pantera with a passion.

I've never considered Black Sabbath's lyrics evil or anything like that. Sure their music is dark, but hell even the song Black Sabbath is from a common person's(who believes in God) view.

I've never considered Black Sabbath's lyrics evil or anything like that. Sure their music is dark, but hell even the song Black Sabbath is from a common person's(who believes in God) view.

Yeah, they may be dark but i never considered them to have "Evil" lyrics other then the song Black Sabbath

I'm talking about the atmosphere the music creates. There's nothing dark or sinister about Pantera's music, nor is there anything noteworthy about it either.

Trendkill is one of the great metal albums. And the solo on this song shows at least some of what made dimebag such an awesome guitarist.

Last edited by a moderator: