Top ten bands that ruined metal in your opinion

I think with Pantera there's a number of reasons why I don't like them.I did enjoy them for a little while but these were the reasons I grew to dislike them.
1.As Velocibrad points out,the 'tough guy' thing just did'nt cut it,especially with the excellent occult based bands around at the time who got very little to no recognition.
2.They played up big to the mainstream and then split because of the trappings that goes with fame,drugs,bitchiness,whatever.
3.And the last reason that I can think of whilst slightly hammered is just that I really did'nt like their sound,I grew up on Thrash,progressed to Death and Black and just did'nt really like them,even as a kid.In saying that I know alot won't/don't agree because they were'nt exposed to this stuff prior to Pantera.

Watching the Vulgar Videos, vid 1, what comes across in their live shows is just how much fun they were having, Phil's actually pretty goofy!! I think the tough guy thing arises from the aggression of the lyrics that really kicks in with Phil's drug addiction. I don't think that's a tough guy image, I think that was his honest view of the world at that time, not a gimmick, so I just see it as part of the band's evolution.
I think they clearly achieved amazing commercial success, but continued to do it with music that could hardly be called commercial. Ego clearly played a big part in the break-up you're right, I heard Dimebag had all kinds of interesting stuff ready to go for RTS then Phil basically veto'd it all and demanded screamy stuff. Still think there's some great stuff on RTS though.
I totally respect 3. fair enough.

Lamb of God also has some fun tunes. Some of the songs from Wrath and Sacrament are actually pretty pleasing to my ears.

I think a lot of the people accusing them of being ultra-horrible and a "plague unto metal" are guilty of the same tough-guy posturing that they accuse the bands of.

Cheers man,don't work too hard.
Well I accomplished that :lol:

So if a person does'nt like Pantera you can assume they have a narrow perspective on music and life...interesting.
That was actually better phrased than what I wrote, since by my logic all the dumb rednecks who listen to Pantera have a broad perspective on music and life.

But anyway, my point is that you guys hate Pantera for stupid-ass reasons which I think reveal aesthetic prejudice on your part. Who cares how dumb their fans are, how spoiled they were by mainstream success, or how much of a bunch of general dumbfucks the band members were? They wrote catchy, tight and fucking heavy music that pretty much epitomized the full potential of dumb redneck metal, much as Manowar epitomizes the full potential of retardedly cheesy fantasy metal. You may not like their style, but no one to my knowledge does that style better.

So what bands do you like Grant? I very rarely see you post outside the social section.Obviously you like Pantera,there's a few around here like that.Or is it because you're an esteemed UM member that you can get away with that shit and noone realises/mentions it?
What exactly does an 'esteemed UM member' get away with that a normal member doesn't? I think if anything most people who know me here have by now adjusted to my predilection for being an antagonistic prick, and just ignore it if anything.

The reason I rarely post outside the social section is basically that I'm not as hardcore/nonstop a metal listener as those who regularly post outside social. I generally only care about a select few bands per metal subgenre, and most of the ones I care about have already been discussed to death. I don't listen to 20+ new metal bands per week because if I did I would be bored shitless by the mediocrity.

I have a hard time taking any opinion VelociBrad has on bands seriously because he's so hyperbolic about it.

There is no hyperbole in my statements on Pantera. They are literally one of the worst bands in metal. I am thankful that I was able to grow up listening to shit like Morbid Angel and Malevolent Creation instead of boring ass devolved thrash garbage like Pantera.

There is no hyperbole in my statements on Pantera. They are literally one of the worst bands in metal. I am thankful that I was able to grow up listening to shit like Morbid Angel and Malevolent Creation instead of boring ass devolved thrash garbage like Pantera.

lol, I can just imagine now how hard you were biting your tongue while we were waiting in line together on the first day of MDF and I was going on about how much I like Pantera.

I was speaking more of the new thrash metal thread where you shit upon 90% of the bands listed.

have you seen the list of thrash bands he listens to??? LOL! ...... wouldn't pay attention to anything coming from him about TM.... guys opinion on thrash is VOID.

Someone calling me opinion on thrash void when they think Evile is good thrash and Testament are untouchable? Hilarious.

Someone calling me opinion on thrash void when they think Evile is good thrash and Testament are untouchable? Hilarious.

u must really be fucking retarded, do i need to quote myself AGAIN from the new thrash thread??

Evile's first album is okay, second album is pure crap,

now, where the fuck do you see me saying that their a good band or that i even like them you fuckwit??? which leads me back to my question from the other thread that you forgot to answer ...

.... autism????

and stop making shit up you faggot, i said Testaments first two albums are untouchable, which they are.

yea their first two are untouchable classics

... and once again, are you fucking autistic? ... because it seems like your brain is not processing what you seem to be reading the right way.

lol you are so mad it's hilarious. why do you get so worked up? put down the Hatebreed CDs and relax. Evile sucks, Testament sucks, Municipal Waste sucks, and Pantera sucks. Get over it little man.