Traditional Metal

It's certainly not bad, but it's probably my least favorite song on the album.

is this a trend with new trad bands to have a killer opener and then some whack follow ups? gatekeeper does the same shit as haunt

I think it's an old gimmick that goes back to the start of full length pop music albums. Most people previewed a tape or LP before they bought it way back in the day, so record labels would put the band's catchiest song as the first track. Somehow this is trapped in the DNA of rock music in general to the point that heavy metal bands still do it even though people can listen to the entire album for free online before they even spend a cent.

Blade of Cimmeria rocks. I have to give the album another spin, I remember that the following tracks were much slower and less memorable as well.

is this a trend with new trad bands to have a killer opener and then some whack follow ups? gatekeeper does the same shit as haunt

I'd rather listen to literally any other song on the Gatekeeper album over the opening track. All of the others have way more thought put into the compositions, where "Blade of Cimmeria" is just a straightforward trad metal song.

If you say so. They sound fine to me. I'd rather hear bands trying to do creative and different things than bands that just sound like clones of 1980s bands. The fact that they wrote so many different types of songs makes it even better. A lot of the other new trad metal bands only do one sort of thing over and over on every track.

I'm not sure what you're even listening to if you say that track isn't metal. You're being very dramatic.

I'll admit I wanted East of Sun to be better than it was, I still prefer Prophecy & Judgement.

But I'd hardly call it a bad album at all, my favourites from it are "Oncoming Ice" and "Swan Road Saga."

never made it that far down but man this sounds right for this band. oh christ this band is lead by former UM hero Jean Pierre? :lol: christ either Borrowed Time is 10x this album

Jean-Pierre is only the singer and he joined only just before the recording of the album. They had another singer before that. One of the guitarists is the primary songwriter and band leader.

Borrowed Time is pretty great, but you just admitted that you haven't even listened to this entire album so I'm still not sure why you're still giving opinions that suggest that you have.

Cool. It's still obviously a trad metal album despite your hilarious hate boner. A lot of what you praise is much less metallic than an album like that which doesn't really draw from any other styles of music.

gatekeeper should learn to do one thing first. maybe they can have a rock opera album next to help them focus their abilities

I wonder what it's like to live an existence where you have to pretend that things aren't metal or that Manilla Road is the most influential underground band in order to feud with other posters on heavy metal forums.