Traditional Metal

2021-trad-metal.jpg

maybe i've just deep-dived more than usual, but to me it felt like a pretty damn good year by 21st century trad standards--the first three HMs would be top ten most years. i also didn't feel the need to include EPs this year which is usually a good sign.

sampler playlists for those so inclined:
youtube: side A | side B
spotify: side A | side B

Honourable Mentions
Iron Fate - Crimson Messiah
sample here. queensrÿche, crimson glory and vintage maiden loom large over these germans, topped off by a cameo from none other than señor fucking conklin, so obviously it smokes and is unfortunate not to make the ten.

Dragonbreath - The Awakening
sample here. this year was pretty short on high quality epic metal, but these cypriots were an exception. same label as buddy yoda's olórin, cardinal's folly, purification and mega colossus.

Tower - Shock to the System
sample here. this might've been teleported straight out of 1982 and it's fairly low on ambition, but it's elevated by an unbelievable vocal performance from sarabeth linden, bringing a wild energy that almost makes it sound more japanese than american. don't think it's a spoiler to say there will be another cruz del sur LP further up the list...

The Night Eternal - Moonlit Cross
sample here. i liked the EP a couple of years ago and now they've come into their own; it's a lil too much like surface-level pop-metal for me to fully embrace it, but they're also impassioned and extremely catchy. highly recommended to fans of in solitude.

Blacksword - Alive Again
sample here. these russians are 'alive again' after an 11 year hiatus with songs that are triple the length and ambition, albeit not really hot on quality control (as you might infer from their godawful fucking cover 'art'). there are stretches when it's top ten worthy though, and give me that over a relentlessly solid album any day.

Mega Colossus - Riptime
sample here. this is a pretty good record in its own right, but the real reason it's here is motherfucking x-com.

Olórin - Through Shadow and Flame
sample here. they might win cover art of the year at least! just a shame about the pleb on drums.

10. Galaxy - On the Shore of Life
We are lambs to the cosmic slaughter
Not protagonist, nor chosen...

71AiDE4yHzL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

sample:

living up to the potential of their EP, these aussies have crafted an occasionally awkward but ethereal, off-kilter gem that productively builds on influences like judas priest, mercyful fate and megadeth without aping them. my personal favourite dying victims release this year ahead of more acclaimed stuff like heavy sentence, significant point and knife. the legendary simon phillips guests on drums, olórin must be jealous!

9. Helloween - Helloween
Oh masterful one, wake up, wake up!
Your head may still be fuzzy from intoxicating dreams
But it's the emperor's chariot race day
Your dedicated old guard eagerly await your
Presence at the Colosseum
As for your large flagon of ale, alas it went flat
And regrettably I had to throw it away
Come now, not a moment to waste!

Helloween-helloween-s-t-art-ghostcultmag.jpg

sample:

more or less as good as you've heard. it never quite lives up to the two magnificent bookends, and you could cut tracks 7 and 9 without losing anything, but 2 out of 11 isn't a bad ratio for an hour+ long album which contains other huge tunes like 'fear of the fallen' and 'robot king'. probably one of the best metal albums ever made by dudes pushing 60.

8. Seven Sisters - Shadow of a Fallen Star Pt. I
Speak of the crystal that resides deep below,
Guiding our people ever further into the unknown...

a0769948684_10.jpg

sample:

another great band off the high roller conveyor belt, and while these londoners have parted ways with that label now this is their best work so far. not the only immersive sci-fi concept album on this list, and i'm excited that this is the first of a trilogy. this one isn't completely consistent ('wounds of design' is ass) but the peaks are incredible, from the opener above to 'the artifice' and its miracle of a chorus.

7. Fortress - Don't Spare the Wicked
All the propaganda and lies,
We’ll be lost forever...

71-MWX-5z6L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

sample:

only three things are certain in this world: death, taxes and high roller releasing quality fucking trad metal year in year out. i'm always bemoaning the state of modern metal vocalists but god damn there are some major talents on this list.

6. Project: Roenwolfe - Edge of Saturn

In a whirlwind you're not alone,
My child of destiny...
Project-Roenwolfe-Edge-Of-Saturn-Divebomb-Records-art-ghostcultmag.jpg

sample:

proggy american power-thrash which contains former members of theocracy but is largely the brainchild of alicia cordisco from judicator. their label aptly describes them as "combining the thrash attack of bands such as heathen, artillery, and toxik with the progressive vocals and stylings of arch-era fates warning, savatage, and sanctuary".

5. Lucifer's Fall - III - From the Deep
Across the void they came to Earth,
bringing ancient eldritch ways...

lucifers-fall-iii-from-the-deep.jpg

sample:

it isn't one for the originality nazis, but this aussie doom record does justice to the legendary bands it channels from vitus to rev biz, every riff a hulking wrecked thing salvaged from way down below where all manner of lovecraftian terrors lurk. i could do without the sub-3 minute throwaway 'doom 'n roll' but otherwise it's the most consistently great doom album of the year and surprisingly diverse as well, with tons of attitude and atmosphere.

4. Herzel - Le Dernier Rempart

Cemetery on the sea, at the edge of the universe...
a4271754302_10.jpg

sample:

every year there's an album that's a litmus test for good taste. this year it's herzel, who sit at a ludicrous 168th on RYM's metal list but 3rd on my friends' list. an unbelievably elegant and sophisticated mixture of heir apparent, warlord, winterhawk (actually cited as an influence!) and of course the GOAT french metallers sortilège. they're operating on a different level to nearly everyone else and objectively should probably be in the top 2.

3. Starscape - Colony

Coordinates set to start anew,
Into the starscape we gaze...

a3979583005_10.jpg

sample:

i can't remember the last time a new heavy metal concept album gave me shivers through the vividness of the storytelling; an eloquent, poignant and chilling sci-fi story come to life. the vocals take some acclimatisation but they perfectly convey a fragile hope underpinned by mounting dread. thanks to @Vegard Pompey for recommending this one.

2. Ravenlaw - For the Sign of Trident Crossed

Black smoke and fire, rising in the east...
1200x1200bf-60.jpg

sample:

the most recognisable member of these czechs is a guy who used to play timpani for avenger, and this album only has 7 RYM ratings at the time of writing, but this is some primo wainds shit. they cite manowar, rhapsody, virgin steele, manilla road (listen to the amazing chorus above), bal-sagoth and old school video game music as influences, which sounds about right. yeah there are moments when it's janky and painfully european, but i wouldn't have it any other way. inject these keyboards right into my veins.

1. Pharaoh - The Powers That Be

Grain by grain, all our works are borne to the sea...
Pharaoh_The-Powers-That-Be-01.jpg

sample:

standing as testament to the value of waiting 9 years between albums, pharaoh return with a more mature, evolved sound and deliver a modern classic that stands among the very best of the last decade irrespective of genre. i don't particularly care about the sub-3 minute ballad and maybe 'freedom' is overly straightforward (even the songwriter asked to exclude it), but everything else is wall-to-wall great and the two longer epics are absolutely gigantic. don't let that hideous eyesore of a cover put you off.

Awesome post, cos I'm totally out of the loop on trad metal lately. Other than that Cirith Ungol EP and the new Tales of Medusa demo, I haven't really been paying attention.

Haven't even listened to the new Lucifer's Fall, but regarding doom I'm all about the new Count Raven. <3

Reactions: zerostatic
His vocals suck way harder for sure. Shitty ozzy rip off style.

but that’s just the way I sing! Fuck off posuer.

Awesome post, cos I'm totally out of the loop on trad metal lately. Other than that Cirith Ungol EP and the new Tales of Medusa demo, I haven't really been paying attention.

Haven't even listened to the new Lucifer's Fall, but regarding doom I'm all about the new Count Raven. <3
tales of Medusa?? You still talking to Omni? Haha

Digging this lately, idk if I posted elsewhere

Last edited:
i'll check that out at some point, i dunno if i'd include a rerecording in a 2021 list either way though. do you like it better than the original?

I think that Cauldron Born album is a bit redundant. The riffs still rule hard, but the new singer has more of an over the top Euro style but also in places is near identical to the original vocalist. The production isn't radically different either, so I don't think there was any real need for it.

I have very much been enjoying Luzifer's debut. Sounds like some of Dio/Sabbath and Saxon's more epic mid-paced moments with love it or hate keyboards. The vocals are a hi-light, my favourite tracks are Hexer and Attila.

Reactions: rms and CiG
i'll check that out at some point, i dunno if i'd include a rerecording in a 2021 list either way though. do you like it better than the original?
I'm such a pose(u)r these days I forgot it's a re-release. Not sure I ever listened to their second album, and their Bandcamp doesn't have it. Oops

@CiG haha is cauldron born a dodens/Omni band? I can't remember.

Yeah that loser was a massive Howie Bentley ball-licker. Pretty sure he even interviewed the guy for a blogzine or something.

I actually don't remember him ever talking about Tales of Medusa though.

I actually don't remember him ever talking about Tales of Medusa though.
that was funny, go back 15 years and it's just dodens posting them in any thread :lol: even @Einherjar86 got tired of it when he listened to metal and contributed here :lol:

Just to further comment on Tales Of Medusa's musical ethos:

Tales Of Medusa is a band that is entirely about the music. They do not want to have any distractions from their music, which is why they choose to be 100% independent in all things and do not work with record labels or have a website or myspace or anything. They write, record, produce, press, and distribute all of their music by themselves, and they do it all at their own expense. They don't even charge people shipping when they send people their records for free. This is why their music is so hard to obtain. Because they want to remain independent and distribute their music for free, they can only afford to press so many copies of their music. The largest run of any of their releases so far has only been 100. They're not trying to be kvlt or artificially obscure. It's just that their wishes to remain independent necessitate that. To be honest, it's a practice that I greatly respect, because it allows them to focus 100% on their music without worrying about dealing with record labels or PR agencies or even maintaining a website. They can hardly get off their ass to check their email more than a few times a year. The last time that I emailed them, I asked them about their thoughts on fans distributing their music. Obviously they haven't gotten back to me yet, but if it's okay with the band, I'll try to share their releases when I have the ability to rip cassettes and LPs. Though, I have my doubts of how many of you would even feel about them, since most of you talk about gay European Flower Metal and other assorted gay metal, whereas their music is more in line with the 80s American tradition.

np tales of medusa

greatest band of our times

Okay, so Tales of Medusa definitely exists, and they're definitely really good. :p

i just downloaded tales of medusa's entire discography and am currently sharing them on kazaa-lite