UEFA EURO 2008

OK, here we go in the Semis! I have changed my prediction for today's match to as follows:
GER 3, TUR 1. The Turks' cinderella story ends today!
HEIL DEUTSCHLAND!

GER 3, TUR 2
It's all over in Basel! Way to go, Germany! The Turks made a match of it, though.
GO SPAIN tomorrow!
Look out for the likes of Plyushenko and Arshavin of Russia, though.

Thank god...
I had 5 heart attacks during that game, lingering on verge of death...
I love little Lahm. As I told my brother earlier, Lahm, Sweinsteiger and Podolski don't get much love because they play for Bayern in the German league. The team is great, but that league doesn't get any love from the press. 1 more game for my pick... 1 more.

Thank god...
I had 5 heart attacks during that game, lingering on verge of death...
I love little Lahm. As I told my brother earlier, Lahm, Sweinsteiger and Podolski don't get much love because they play for Bayern in the German league. The team is great, but that league doesn't get any love from the press. 1 more game for my pick... 1 more.
I HATE Bayern Munich, but LOVE Kaiserslautern and Borussia Dortmund. I used to watch the Deutsche Bundesliga all the time when I had the Fox Soccer Channel!:headbang::kickass:

I HATE Bayern Munich, but LOVE Kaiserslautern and Borussia Dortmund. I used to watch the Deutsche Bundesliga all the time when I had the Fox Soccer Channel!:headbang::kickass:

I support them because I support the German National Team, and Bayern are just the bastion of power when German teams play in European cups.

Despite my rooting for Bayern, I am a die hard Werder supporter. I love them, I just wish they'd do better in European cups....

Oh ya, FSC no longer carries the Bundesliga. Only the EPL, Serie A and reruns from Barca TV.

Ya...
That's why I don't follow the US Men's National Team. Come on, how couldn't we qualify for the World Cup in our region (CONCACAF)???? Mexico and the US dominate the region, and then it's always between the Central American/Carribbean countries for the third berth... and possibly, a fourth berth (depending on the result of a playoff between the 5th place team from the South American CONMEBOL).

Yes, I'm American, but I simply cannot appreciate the USMNT fanboys who only follow the USMNT and the MLS because simply put, as we've seen time and time again, we're a second-tier footballing country that needs a miracle to beat a European team in a meaningful match. God, why didn't we appoint Jurgen Klinsmann after WC06..............?

The way I read into it was that Jurgen wanted more control over operations tham USSF was comfortable with. I think he'd have been a fine choice - I think he lives in California.

Though we've come out on top of the past few rounds of WC qualifying, it's never as easy as it looks. Those road matches to Azteca and Central America are always difficult.

The upcoming semi-final round (4 teams per) usually scares me more than the final (6 teams). But we only have 1 Central American team this round (Guatemala), and we play there the first game (good to get it out of the way), so my comfort level is better this year, though I'll still be on edge for every qualifier.

I support them because I support the German National Team, and Bayern are just the bastion of power when German teams play in European cups.

Despite my rooting for Bayern, I am a die hard Werder supporter. I love them, I just wish they'd do better in European cups....

Oh ya, FSC no longer carries the Bundesliga. Only the EPL, Serie A and reruns from Barca TV.
That's too bad about FSC not carrying the DB anymore. How about the Dutch Eredivisie? I used to love watching Ajax matches. I also loved their coverage of the Argentine League. I have nothing against Werder. How are they doing these days, in terms of league finish and transactions? I'm already looking forward to the UEFA CL kicking off in September!:headbang:

I had to resort to "watching" today's match on the match tracker - despite a slow start to the 2nd half, it looked like an exciting one!
Yeah, it picked right up in the second half. Turkey was in it until the end. Fatih Terim is a soccer icon in Asia Minor these days!:worship:

The way I read into it was that Jurgen wanted more control over operations tham USSF was comfortable with. I think he'd have been a fine choice - I think he lives in California.

Though we've come out on top of the past few rounds of WC qualifying, it's never as easy as it looks. Those road matches to Azteca and Central America are always difficult.

The upcoming semi-final round (4 teams per) usually scares me more than the final (6 teams). But we only have 1 Central American team this round (Guatemala), and we play there the first game (good to get it out of the way), so my comfort level is better this year, though I'll still be on edge for every qualifier.
We can at least draw with GUA over there and we'll surely beat them here in the States. Azteca is another story, however. I'd settle for a scoreless draw in Mexico City anyday. We can beat them in the Estados Unidos.:saint: We are head and shoulders above the island teams of the Caribbean, but that's still why we play the games, right? Anything can happen in any given match. Here's to WC qualification for America's (Soccer)Team! :kickass:

That's too bad about FSC not carrying the DB anymore. How about the Dutch Eredivisie? I used to love watching Ajax matches. I also loved their coverage of the Argentine League. I have nothing against Werder. How are they doing these days, in terms of league finish and transactions? I'm already looking forward to the UEFA CL kicking off in September!:headbang:

Werder placed a distant second behind Bayern, in typical form. I haven't heard of any incoming transfers, but they have sold Owomeyola and Klasnic (plays for Croatia as well) is looking to England. He had two kidney operations and it's surprising he can play again.

FSC still carries the Argentine league on Sundays, but no Eredivisie. They broadcasted a repeat of the Old Firm match in late April or May, unfortunately it wasn't live.

Ya...
That's why I don't follow the US Men's National Team. Come on, how couldn't we qualify for the World Cup in our region (CONCACAF)???? Mexico and the US dominate the region, and then it's always between the Central American/Carribbean countries for the third berth... and possibly, a fourth berth (depending on the result of a playoff between the 5th place team from the South American CONMEBOL).

Yes, I'm American, but I simply cannot appreciate the USMNT fanboys who only follow the USMNT and the MLS because simply put, as we've seen time and time again, we're a second-tier footballing country that needs a miracle to beat a European team in a meaningful match. God, why didn't we appoint Jurgen Klinsmann after WC06..............?

As much as I liked to see Klinsmann become the US Gaffer, Bradley was a better choice long term. The problem with Klinsmann was do-re-mi MONEY! The USSF did not have the cash that was required to retain Klinsmann. I am not talking salary, either. One of the problems that Klinsmann wanted solved was a real training facility for the USMNT. Home Depot Center was not what Klinsmann wanted, but a real training facility for the exclusive use of the USMNT. The other was sole authority over the USMNT. Which means he controled EVERYTHING from who plays, coaches, to what food they eat to the air they breathe. Gulati (USSF boss) was not about to do that.

As for the US running roughshod over the opposition: the late NFL Commissioner, Bert Bell, once said that any team can beat any other team on any given day. Got news for you, the US has had their share of problems in qualifying. For the 2002 WC, the US got beat by Honduras (on National TV, no less) in RFK 3-2. The US has long had problems with Costa Rica and sometimes Guatemala. The US has also been known to play down to others level. The US had a snoozefest vs TnT in East Hartford (I had VIP seats for that game, listening to two cackling old ladies talking about their Muffy and Buffy in equestrian), where the US should have scored 8 goals easy. Their Gold Cup Final in 2006 vs Panama was a disgrace. So, until the US formally books their passage to South Africa, I would say NOTHING is guaranteed.

Werder placed a distant second behind Bayern, in typical form. I haven't heard of any incoming transfers, but they have sold Owomeyola and Klasnic (plays for Croatia as well) is looking to England. He had two kidney operations and it's surprising he can play again.

FSC still carries the Argentine league on Sundays, but no Eredivisie. They broadcasted a repeat of the Old Firm match in late April or May, unfortunately it wasn't live.
Thanks. Guess we'll be seeing Werder in the CL, then? Can't wait!:headbang:

Stingray makes a great point in that the US is surprisingly good and bad on alternating occasions. We never know for sure which team is stepping out onto the pitch on any given matchday. Good luck, boys! GO USA!

For the 2002 WC, the US got beat by Honduras (on National TV, no less) in RFK 3-2.
So, until the US formally books their passage to South Africa, I would say NOTHING is guaranteed.

I was at the Honduras game - they played well and deserved victory. There were thousands of Honduras supporters - they probably outnumbered US supporters that day.

Good post - nothing is guaranteed in qualifying.