UEFA EURO 2008

The game showed the same thing we all knew already.

Portugal can't handle decisive matches just yet. They've been doing this for years now. Yes, I'll admit that every now and then the ref comes and makes it worse for them, but that doesn't justify it.

By the way, what a beautiful job Scolari did with Portugal. I'm sure he'll be successful now with Chelsea.

Why do you say that? It's not like portugal is a #1 ranked team and Germany is 50th, they are pretty evenly matched and imho the Ref lost the game for Portugal.

Choke?? Did you watch the game? The Refs handed Germany a victory, it should have been 3-2 Portugal with difference in calls, or atleast 3 all and gone to OT. What a joke that main ref was, I hope I dont see him in another game

You're kidding me!

Germany attacked Portugal, and Portugal crumbled. Who else in this tournament had the balls to attack Portugal like that? No one. Sure, the ref made a few bad calls both ways, but the Germans won because they exploited a defense that is short and thin.

The average German player is 6'3''. The average Portuguese? 5'9''. Two of Germany's goals were through POOR defending (*cough* Ronaldo *cough*) and scored via header and the first goal was simply a brilliant piece of counterattacking football.

Germany, hands down, took it to the Portuguese and their defense crumbled. Germany has always been compared to a blitzkrieg style of offense and a wall of tanks on defense. For the most part, what I saw yesterday holds true.

Now that my dream final is over, I'm really hoping for a Dutch v. Germany final.

Why do you say that? It's not like portugal is a #1 ranked team and Germany is 50th, they are pretty evenly matched and imho the Ref lost the game for Portugal.

I know. I say that because Portugal has started very well and done good in most of the past international competitions they've been in, sometimes considered to be favorites, and, they drop the ball at some point.

Just like Spain and Holland. It's just history.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them both get out too, although I hope it won't happen. It'd be the best semi-final (Holland x Spain).

You're kidding me!

Germany attacked Portugal, and Portugal crumbled. Who else in this tournament had the balls to attack Portugal like that? No one. Sure, the ref made a few bad calls both ways, but the Germans won because they exploited a defense that is short and thin.

The average German player is 6'3''. The average Portuguese? 5'9''. Two of Germany's goals were through POOR defending (*cough* Ronaldo *cough*) and scored via header and the first goal was simply a brilliant piece of counterattacking football.

Germany, hands down, took it to the Portuguese and their defense crumbled. Germany has always been compared to a blitzkrieg style of offense and a wall of tanks on defense. For the most part, what I saw yesterday holds true.

Now that my dream final is over, I'm really hoping for a Dutch v. Germany final.

Agreed 100%. Germany showed balls playing against one of the so called "favorites". Ronaldo... he's a great player but he's not all that.

Portugal did crumble.

Agreed 100%. Germany showed balls playing against one of the so called "favorites". Ronaldo... he's a great player but he's not all that.

Portugal did crumble.
Germany Vs. The Netherlands would be a GREAT final!:headbang: I say GER will beat TUR 2-1. Obviously, the Dutch won't be advancing now, but the Russians WILL meet their match in the semis regardless of which side they play.

The game showed the same thing we all knew already.

Portugal can't handle decisive matches just yet. They've been doing this for years now. Yes, I'll admit that every now and then the ref comes and makes it worse for them, but that doesn't justify it.

By the way, what a beautiful job Scolari did with Portugal. I'm sure he'll be successful now with Chelsea.
Good luck to Scolari with the Blues. I'm happy for him. Cristiano Ronaldo and Ronaldinho are my favorite active soccer players in the world right now, with Beckham in 3rd place.

I'm for the Netherlands and Spain in the other 2 Quarterfinals matches.
Predictions, anyone?

I'll take that. The Dutch are magnificent, and the Russians are good attackers as well (that's why they're showing the game on ABC - to show Americans GOOD football).

Dutch will take it though because although they're defense is shoddy, the Russian's defense is just as shoddy, but younger.

The Italians v. Spain is almost to close to call. The Italians always start off slow, but can lockdown the entire pitch if necessary. If they do that, then Spain's controlling midfield will have trouble and start to throw up longballs to Torres and Villa. Yet, just with the dynamic playing of Spain, I have to pick them. The Italians are getting older and they've made some very fundamental mistakes that players like Silva, Fabregas, Torres, and Villa will capitalize on.

You're kidding me!

Ronaldo played pretty damn well, im not sure what game you were watching. Sure, the first goal was his fault but he's probaly thinking he's hot-shit not need to defend, or maybe thought offsides, but regardless a poor decision on that part. Crumbled is really ridiculous, they had a 1 goal victory :lol: (which you obv know my feelings on).

Ronaldo played pretty damn well, im not sure what game you were watching. Sure, the first goal was his fault but he's probaly thinking he's hot-shit not need to defend, or maybe thought offsides, but regardless a poor decision on that part. Crumbled is really ridiculous, they had a 1 goal victory :lol: (which you obv know my feelings on).

I know Ronaldo was at fault for at least the first header. I'm not sure if he was supposed to mark Ballack on the second header. Ronaldo, playing for Portugal, is not the same as when he plays for Man U, that much is obvious.

Crumbled refers to their defense. In fact, I never mentioned anything about their offense because they kept coming at Germany. In fact, at 2-0 down, the game was still open enough to consider the Portuguese's ability to get back in the game. Simply put, all I was saying is that the Germans won because they exploited the weak Portuguese defense, that no one else had done prior to this game.

It's scoreless at halftime of the NED/RUS match. I predict a 2-1 Dutch victory. In tomorrow's matchup, I predict Spain gains a 2-1 result over Italy.

I'll take that. The Dutch are magnificent, and the Russians are good attackers as well (that's why they're showing the game on ABC - to show Americans GOOD football).

Dutch will take it though because although they're defense is shoddy, the Russian's defense is just as shoddy, but younger.

The Italians v. Spain is almost to close to call. The Italians always start off slow, but can lockdown the entire pitch if necessary. If they do that, then Spain's controlling midfield will have trouble and start to throw up longballs to Torres and Villa. Yet, just with the dynamic playing of Spain, I have to pick them. The Italians are getting older and they've made some very fundamental mistakes that players like Silva, Fabregas, Torres, and Villa will capitalize on.
Yes, the Dutch don't seem to know how to play defense, but their vaunted offense usually overcomes their defensive miscues. The Russians are talented but very young and inexperienced. For the Spanish, Torres and Villa are certainly the keys. If they prevail, so do the Spanish. Should the Azuri strike first, they will be tough to vanquish. The Italians know how to defend a lead. Tomorrow's match should be a dandy.

The impossible has happened! I don't believe what I just saw! The Russians have just done the unthinkable and handed the Dutch a monumental 3-1 upset in Overtime! HOLY COW!:OMG: I am still in shock, denial, and disbelief over what has just occurred!:loco::err::erk:

VIVA ESPANA! THE CURSE HAS BEEN REVERSED! The Spaniards finally WIN a big match on June 22 and end their long draught against the Italians. Spain earned the hard fought 1-0 victory on the strength of a 4-2 PK shootout triumph versus the boys from Italy. I couldn't be happier for ESP!
:OMG::worship:rock::kickass:

I predict a wild and wooly 3-2 Spanish victory over Russia in the Semis!
Turkey will really be tested Vs. Germany, especially with all the injuries and suspensions. The cardiac kids from Asia Minor won't be easily eliminated until the final whistle sounds.
Both matches should certainly be real nailbiters!
See ya on Wednesday!