Ultimate Metal Hall of Fame August 2016 Inductions

Oh okay, fair enough. Also isn't that an oxymoron? Agnosticism is the idea that nothing is known or can be known about God and isn't that what atheism means except with the addition of disbelief?
No, it just means I don't personally believe in God, but I'm not gnostic about my position, in other words I acknowledge I can't disprove a negative, and thus make no definitive claims either way. In other words, I'm cognizant that I very well could be wrong, and make sure to let that be known. Whereas a gnostic atheist would claim they know there is no God.

I've never met a gnostic atheist, seems like a pretty pointless distinction to make to me, since an inability to ever be certain is implied within the term atheism.

Hitchens fleshed this out years ago I thought.

I've never met a gnostic atheist, seems like a pretty pointless distinction to make to me, since an inability to ever be certain is implied within the term atheism.

Hitchens fleshed this out years ago I thought.
Sadly, I've met gnostic atheists. A rarer breed, but a present one nonetheless.

I guess that's what a "militant atheist" would technically be. They're fucking insufferable.
They tend to be of that persuasion, yes. The ones that claim "THERE IS NO GOD!" and shit like that. Some of the most fantastically absurd and nauseating human beings to walk the Earth. The ones that jerk themselves raw to the fact that they're atheists every waking moment and make absolute claims of disbelief in God. That not only do they disbelieve in deities, but they claim definitively that they don't exist.

They tend to be of that persuasion, yes. The ones that claim "THERE IS NO GOD!" and shit like that. Some of the most fantastically absurd and nauseating human beings to walk the Earth. The ones that jerk themselves raw to the fact that they're atheists every waking moment and make absolute claims of disbelief in God. That not only do they disbelieve in deities, but they claim definitively that they don't exist.

These exist, definitely. And they get on some high horse about "science" without ever having done any themselves. Nor shown where scientists have clearly supported their opinion. they take the opposite leap of faith and claim it as fact because an invisible Simon says.

Also, If you give it some real thought, the existence of an invisible creator God is entirely unprovable, but also non-disprovable. thus it is impossible to logically be a theist or atheist 100%. but you can lean towards one side or the other by opinion.

It is not "more logical" to be an agnostic atheist or to be an agnostic theist, since again the existence of a deity is unknowable, and it is entirely opinion based.

Most of my life I chose to be an agnostic atheist. In the past few years I have switched to an agnostic theist* who believes there was Some form of a creator but believes religions are manmade.

... Usually when people talk about religion I just say it's complicated.

Whatever, therefore, our concept of an object may contain, we must always step outside it, in order to attribute to it existence. With objects of the senses, this takes place through their connection with any one of my perceptions, according to empirical laws; with objects of pure thought, however, there is no means of knowing their existence, because it would have to be known entirely a priori, while our consciousness of every kind of existence, whether immediately by perception, or by conclusions which connect something with perception, belongs entirely to the unity of experience, and any existence outside that field, though it cannot be declared to be absolutely impossible, is a presupposition that cannot be justified by anything.

Immanuel Kant, "The Impossibility of an Ontological Proof of the Existence of God," from the Critique of Pure Reason, 1781 :D

Atheists can have their cake, but they can't eat it. But at least with cake, they can correlate the experience of eating it with the sensory experience of tasting an object in their mouth. Which is why, for some theistic sects, the godhead must be made material; and so Jesus tastes like stale waffles and cheap wine.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft