Ultimate Metal Hall of Fame August 2016 Inductions

i don't think there's a worse kind of person anywhere in the world than people who spend their time retweeting tweets by richard dawkins and stephen fry

Reactions: CiG
These exist, definitely. And they get on some high horse about "science" without ever having done any themselves. Nor shown where scientists have clearly supported their opinion. they take the opposite leap of faith and claim it as fact because an invisible Simon says.

Also, If you give it some real thought, the existence of an invisible creator God is entirely unprovable, but also non-disprovable. thus it is impossible to logically be a theist or atheist 100%. but you can lean towards one side or the other by opinion.

It is not "more logical" to be an agnostic atheist or to be an agnostic theist, since again the existence of a deity is unknowable, and it is entirely opinion based.

Most of my life I chose to be an agnostic atheist. In the past few years I have switched to an agnostic theist* who believes there was Some form of a creator but believes religions are manmade.

... Usually when people talk about religion I just say it's complicated.
You'll get no argument from me as I agree with essentially everything you've said. Also, I think what you've classified yourself as makes you more of an agnostic deist, rather than a theist, given you believe in a creator, however feel religions are human constructs. Other than that, you've essentially just regurgitated my exact thoughts and feelings on the matter, with the noted exception that I lean towards agnostic atheism by opinion.

Reactions: Baroque
You'll get no argument from me as I agree with essentially everything you've said. Also, I think what you've classified yourself as makes you more of an agnostic deist, rather than a theist, given you believe in a creator, however feel religions are human constructs. Other than that, you've essentially just regurgitated my exact thoughts and feelings on the matter, with the noted exception that I lean towards agnostic atheism by opinion.

Ah yes, you're correct. I meant to say agnostic deist.

i don't think there's a worse kind of person anywhere in the world than people who spend their time retweeting tweets by richard dawkins and stephen fry
Dawkins I only value for his scientific expertise, his contributions to his field, his musings on atheism serve only to make my stomach churn as I haven't any respect for his petulant whining of "BE LOGICAL!" and the like. Stephen Fry on the other hand I value as a great comedian and a decent social commentator, though I don't agree with him on everything by any means. Anyhow, I don't have a Twitter account, so I haven't a clue what they blather on about over there anyways, though I suppose I've a good guess as the nonsensical histrionics Dawkins might get up to.

Immanuel Kant, "The Impossibility of an Ontological Proof of the Existence of God," from the Critique of Pure Reason, 1781 :D

Atheists can have their cake, but they can't eat it. But at least with cake, they can correlate the experience of eating it with the sensory experience of tasting an object in their mouth. Which is why, for some theistic sects, the godhead must be made material; and so Jesus tastes like stale waffles and cheap wine.
What if we transubstantiate the cake into the body and blood of "MY OPINION IS CORRECT!", then what? Simple, we have a food fight with the Catholics with our cake, and their bread and wine, and whoever comes out on top, wins the theology debate for all time, no questions asked. Clearly this is the best solution.

Reactions: Einherjar86
I'm more of an agnostic atheist on the principle that neither atheists nor deists have a clue whether gods exist or not. However, I was never raised religiously so that's why I'm more on the other end of the spectrum.

Either one seems equally valid to me since there's no evidence either way. I personally lean towards agnostic atheism since I find the idea of a creator figure to be improbable but it doesn't matter to me what people think unless they try to push it on those around them.

The entire question of belief or disbelief in God is faith-based. Religious people understand this, atheists pretend to not know this.

It's all a position of faith and that's why religious people are rarely swayed nor do they care much when some internet douche shoves a thousand Daniel Dennett quotes in their face. They choose to believe in that stuff, I as an atheist choose not to, when I was younger I tried to rationalise it by citing x, y and z. Now I don't bother.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
The entire question of belief or disbelief in God is faith-based. Religious people understand this, atheists pretend to not know this.

It's all a position of faith and that's why religious people are rarely swayed nor do they care much when some internet douche shoves a thousand Daniel Dennett quotes in their face. They choose to believe in that stuff, I as an atheist choose not to, when I was younger I tried to rationalise it by citing x, y and z. Now I don't bother.
Exactly.

So, in conclusion, in the sage words of the late George Carlin, "Keep thine bullshit to thineself."

Imo it's ok to talk about it, but only if both parties are respectful, and realize that any difference between a belief and an opinion is all in the head.

opinions are still interesting, and usually have a why behind them, whether it's a full justification or not

Imo it's ok to talk about it, but only if both parties are respectful, and realize that any difference between a belief and an opinion is all in the head.

opinions are still interesting, and usually have a why behind them, whether it's a full justification or not
Yeah, discussing it is cool, I'm just saying don't be a noxious bastard about it.