[Un]Official 2011 Metal Thread

The Opeth is good, give it a chance. It helps to know beforehand that you're not going to be listening to metal :)

i knew that and i still think it's really boring

why shouldn't i just pop in aqualung or argus instead of this try-hard nonsense

why shouldn't i just pop in aqualung or argus instead of this try-hard nonsense

because anyone could say why shouldn't I just pop Under a funeral moon instead of any low-fi BM album produced ever since. It is pretty much a question of how much prog rock/folk/whatever you need in your music time and whether two or three milestones are enough to sustain that need, or if there is room enough to accomodate new, worthy contenders like Heritage - that actually, while not a masterpiece by any measure, is cool and brings something of its own to the genre.

I like it that I started "hating" Opeth just when the circlejerk blew out of proportion, and dig them again when everyone else I know thinks they turned to shit. [/feeling smart for no reason]

because anyone could say why shouldn't I just pop Under a funeral moon instead of any low-fi BM album produced ever since
and i do say that.

I like it that I started "hating" Opeth just when the circlejerk blew out of proportion, and dig them again when everyone else I know thinks they turned to shit. [/feeling smart for no reason]
actually i started disliking opeth around blackwater park and this new one, i dunno, i liked the idea and i felt like i wanted to give it a chance but it feels fake and i don't like music that feels fake

I think there are some really damn good songs on the album, The Devil's Orchid and Famine, but it's very disconnected. I can barely listening to the whole then without thinking, eh, when is this going to be over?

I don't feel the disconnection at the level of the whole album. Within the songs there are some abrupt transitions and meandering parts, but nothing shocking for Opeth, and after all they did try a proggier course, and we all know prog music is, well, prog. But the album itself folows a pretty obvious scenario I feel. There is for instance a clear shift in dynamics towards the middle of Folklore that makes you know the end is coming, and the last song has a definitive scent of farewell.

anyone hear the new ARCH/MATHEOS?

* John Arch (FATES WARNING) - Vocals
* Jim Matheos (FATES WARNING, OSI) - Guitar
* Joey Vera (ARMORED SAINT, ANTHRAX, FATES WARNING, SEVEN WITCHES) - Bass
* Bobby Jarzombek (HALFORD, FATES WARNING, SEBASTIAN BACH, RIOT) - Drums
* Frank Aresti (FATES WARNING) - Additional Lead Guitar

the new Opeth is pretty depressing - I will say that much. Otherwise, it's pretty durn good. Looking forward to listening to the 5.1 mix.

as if I have a 5.1 system

been reading that the new DT has eerie similarities song structure wise to IaW?!?!?

I've read this same thing. I've actually only listened to it once so far haha so I can't really comment. I bought Octavarium at the same time and I've been spinning it in the car. It's got some ok stuff on it. Anyway....I've been thinking that DT would've been a much better band over the past decade if they would just fucking give up on the keys. Jordan Rudess is a major irritant. After giving the horrible Derek Sherinian the boot, they should've not even bothered replacing him.

anyone hear the new ARCH/MATHEOS?

* John Arch (FATES WARNING) - Vocals
* Jim Matheos (FATES WARNING, OSI) - Guitar
* Joey Vera (ARMORED SAINT, ANTHRAX, FATES WARNING, SEVEN WITCHES) - Bass
* Bobby Jarzombek (HALFORD, FATES WARNING, SEBASTIAN BACH, RIOT) - Drums
* Frank Aresti (FATES WARNING) - Additional Lead Guitar

Oh snap!! :eek:

Those who hear, keep me informed.

pulled it and the first track rules ... long epic 11 minutes songs.

not really catchy so far ... but you prog heads need to hear this instead of DT or Opeth ... fuckin' Opeth.