Video game music

action platform is like... hmm level games. like Sonic, Mario, etc.

however, its important to note that those examples RULE. modern ones however, bore me.

was never into sports games. snowboarding is about it.

Yeah old arcade platform style games were more or less the foundation for modern gaming. It's a shame that the genre in itself degenerated to crap.

I don't mind sports games every now and then. They're good if you don't have alot of time and patience and just want to play a few games and remain detached. RPGs are more or less the polar opposite to that mentality though.

I'd agree with you about Torment. I thought that game was brilliant.

When I dug it back out a year ago to give it another go, I found that 2 of the discs were completly stuffed. Thanks to the power of the internet and DC++, I downloaded the ISOs and burnt them. Now it works perfectly. :D

I never bothered going through it as a fighter or thief though. Being a mage was more fun to me in that game.

Yes definately one of the only games I ever felt being a mage was advantageous. Having high Charisma/Wisdom/Int stats really pays off in that game. In the sense that it unlocks more narrative opportunities for the character and that game is ALL about story anyway.

It's on PC, Silent Song. You probably won't find the boxed game anywhere anymore so your best bet is to just grab the isos from BitTorrent or DC++.

Hey people don't forget about fighting games. Tunes like Ryu's or Ken's in SF2, Super SF2 and Alpha 1 and 2 are quite memorable and very cool.

But all in all, Castlevania music dominates everything.

forgot about castlevania. which version are you talking about? the only one i ever played was original NES. speaking of, does anyone remember Ghosts and Goblins? the most difficult game ever produced (i used to think mine was cursed in some way).

as far as I know, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil is the most difficult game ever produced...I played with cheats for unlimited weapons and ammo and still got anihhilated

Ok, i just went and hired out Planescape Torment - this game better be good!

...3 days is plenty of time to clock it, right? It better be, because i would never even THINK of copying the cds then returning it...no, not at all....no more questions.

Moonlapse said:
Haha, probably the geekiest question since the rise of Bill Gates, but I was wondering if there are any fans here of game music?

It's really strange but I feel alot of the time when the music is written to complement already established themes like those in games, and particularly strong games, it tends to come out alot better and more meaningful than normal music.

Alot of the old SNES RPGs had composers who only had MIDI to deal with, yet they created IMHO some of the most evocative music I've ever heard. Games like Chrono Trigger, Terranigma and the Final Fantasy series are but small examples.

It doesn't stop there though, I personally love the symphonic soundtrack to Total Annihilation and would quite honestly love to hear more music of that caliber (the term neo-classical comes to mind, but in the true sense of the word, not some shemale who wanks the guitar at 10,000BPM).

Just wondering if there are any more fans.. or perhaps if any thoughts on the subject come to mind. I'd like to hear them.

No don't really like a whole lot of them, most of them I guess sound artificial, except for those that you cited above I guess, maybe I'll give em a try...

I do sort of like one song off of Castlevania SOTN, "Wood Carving Partita" I think thats the name of it, right? OOOOOOOOOOOO and some of the songs off the Resident Evil Rebirth, creepy right? Lets see there was one more I think...
Oh damn where is my head? Of course I love most of the tracks from all 4 of the Silent Hill games, I particularly love "Theme of Laura", "She" is second and (don't laugh) "Room of Angel"...