Video game music

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Haha, probably the geekiest question since the rise of Bill Gates, but I was wondering if there are any fans here of game music?

It's really strange but I feel alot of the time when the music is written to complement already established themes like those in games, and particularly strong games, it tends to come out alot better and more meaningful than normal music.

Alot of the old SNES RPGs had composers who only had MIDI to deal with, yet they created IMHO some of the most evocative music I've ever heard. Games like Chrono Trigger, Terranigma and the Final Fantasy series are but small examples.

It doesn't stop there though, I personally love the symphonic soundtrack to Total Annihilation and would quite honestly love to hear more music of that caliber (the term neo-classical comes to mind, but in the true sense of the word, not some shemale who wanks the guitar at 10,000BPM).

Just wondering if there are any more fans.. or perhaps if any thoughts on the subject come to mind. I'd like to hear them.

Moonlapse said:
Haha, probably the geekiest question since the rise of Bill Gates, but I was wondering if there are any fans here of game music?

It's really strange but I feel alot of the time when the music is written to complement already established themes like those in games, and particularly strong games, it tends to come out alot better and more meaningful than normal music.

Alot of the old SNES RPGs had composers who only had MIDI to deal with, yet they created IMHO some of the most evocative music I've ever heard. Games like Chrono Trigger, Terranigma and the Final Fantasy series are but small examples.

It doesn't stop there though, I personally love the symphonic soundtrack to Total Annihilation and would quite honestly love to hear more music of that caliber (the term neo-classical comes to mind, but in the true sense of the word, not some shemale who wanks the guitar at 10,000BPM).

Just wondering if there are any more fans.. or perhaps if any thoughts on the subject come to mind. I'd like to hear them.

i wouldnt say im a big fan or anything...but a few games had music i certainly enjoyed. megaman 2 for NES, friday the 13th for NES, castelvania: symphony of the night for playstation, and chrono trigger i enjoyed the music for.

and anyone whos played virtual tennis for dreamcast...does the music at all remind you of "wayfaerer" from the jester race? it does for me. :p

*goes out and buys a dreamcast and virtual tennis instantly*

@Blackhorse: Well by the guidelines yeah, but so is the Nevermore thread that Mike posted in. I think with the petition we all agreed to subvert those rules a little to see this place become a bit more prosperous. I haven't heard any complains from the admins yet! So we'll see.

Décadent said:
But seriously, Sonic the Hedgehog music > everything - ever

youre right, i totally forgot about that...quite catchy and nostalgic of my late childhood.

i recently bought one of those remake little sega genesis systems that just plugs into your tv, and has 6 games or so on it...altered beast, sonic the hedgehog, golden axe and a few others...for about $25.00 what a deal.

Moonlapse said:
*goes out and buys a dreamcast and virtual tennis instantly*

@Blackhorse: Well by the guidelines yeah, but so is the Nevermore thread that Mike posted in. I think with the petition we all agreed to subvert those rules a little to see this place become a bit more prosperous. I haven't heard any complains from the admins yet! So we'll see.

Yeaaa I dont care. I was just being a ball buster.

...and I like the music from DOOM I and DOOM II

Yeah the Sonic music is definately very nostalgic. It seems every time I plug in the old Sega Master System it brings a tear to my eye :p.

There's a really good Master System emulator out there called FreezeSMS. Been playing Ninja Gaiden on it again :)

FFX&X2, as well as Xenosaga Ep.1 have the best videogame music i've heard.

although i also really love some of the riffs in Unreal Tournament's various incarnations

Yes! Sometimes the first person shooters get some good riffs going while you're fragging. In recent times it's been the RPGs and Strategy games for me though.

Total Annihilation, Command & Conquer, Red Alert, Starcraft etc. all the classics.

And with RPGs the Baldur's Gate series are pretty damned good.