Viking mythology and all that goes with it

I thought there was a place called that, too...come to think of it, isn't there a famous woman named Finnbogadottir? Oh, yeah, the premier of Iceland was named that! Duh. Must be where I remember it from...
Anyhow, "skogsfinnar" have lived all over Sweden, and not just in the north. Later on in history, we "imported" Finns (actually from Finland, as a difference to the skogsfinnar) as labourers, often times to work in the forest as treefellers etc. Also, don't forget that Finn is and was quite a common personal name in both Norway and Sweden. Johan had a great uncle named that. Places are sometimes named after just one person, but in the case of Finnveden, I specifically remember that it was named for the group of people, because it was one of the examples that whatever text we had to learn from mentioned the etymology of.

That's because they overlap to a certain degree. "Volkserinnerungen" heisst das wohl, oder? Oder Völkes-, was weiss ich?? I forget...

@ tyra: i'm honourd that a lot of people from other countries speak german so well
respect! it means "volkserinerung" but here nobody is remembering on this stories =( we got only those materialistic hiphop youngsters anywhay...
@ thelastwithpaganblood why the last my family came 1400 from norway and then we sattled here and at the northcoast i want back to Schleswig holstein ^^

Pagan, it depends on who's describing them. Were you thinking of a specific source? I don't know too much about their origin and such, as I really have only studied migration to that particular area much later in history. As far as the Norse are concerned, I can remember much writing about Finns in general, as their magic was feared, but not so much about Finns from that particular area. Here's a blurb I found regarding what Jordanes wrote (I do have the original manuscript somewhere, but I've not had time to check and see what it actually says...):
"I den romersk-gotiske historieskrivaren Jordanes arbete från 500-talet omtalas finnaithe, vilket kan uttolkas som finnvedsbor. År 550 omnämns området som ”Skogen med den goda jakten och det rika villebrådet”. Bygdenamnet Finnveden och den ursprungligare namnformen ”Finnheden” förekommer även på runstenar från 1000-talet."

Oh, and Vigdis Finnbogadottir was Iceland's president from 1980-1996, which made her the first elected female president ever.

Ehh Ghaldez did I ask you anything?
Tyra, in Röde Orm they are described with quite different csutoms, and that they are taller than the others, and with their chins shaved (so with giant "slokmustascher") and that they aren't very humourous etc. CAn't remember exactly. The disco-techno-pop-star E-Type wrote a Vi-Fi (viking fiction) book also where they were described the same. I think his name is something like Erik Magnusson and he is by the way building some viking museum-park in the archipelago of Stockholm at the moment.

Hmmmm...Not sure what to tell you. Frans G Bengtssons book is fiction, though, but I am sure he researched it (although a lot of the "facts" are outdated, as the book is old and much research has been done since - it's still a good book). I'm not sure where he would have found the info from, but I'd be curious to know, since the Finns from Finland usually are described as shorter and stockier. From what I understand (and also judging by Jordanes, who is not a very reliable source IMHO) the place Finnveden was called that well before 500 AD, so, in other words, a very old name that is more likely to do with the wandering population, as in the original meaning of the word, and not necessarily to do with a population from Finland. (Damn that was a weird sentence, do you get what I mean? The word Finn can denote either someone from Finland, or "a wandering people". It is uncertian which came first, the Finns -who then may have been perceived as a wandering population, thereby causing other populations to be called Finns- or the word describing them as a wandering population. All I am saying is that the placename is so old, that it doesn't necessarily mean Finn as in Finland, but rather Finn as in a nomadic population. Then it'd make sense that that were tall etc.) But, that is just my opinion, and not something reserached and so on.

No I'm sure theyre not from finland, hes just talking about a tribe from småland (it's actually around the Växsjö area - I've heard something about how they once conquered the place, but anyways). I know Röde Orm is fiction - duh! - but these people are described very interestingly and I was just wondering if you heard anything else about them, cause Ive searched but havent found.

Oh and as a Swede I want back the areas around Schleswig-Holstein too :p Ghaldez sehen wir uns heute im ColumbiaFritz für Amon Amarth?

No, I hadn't, but now that you've brought it up, I am curious! When I get some time, I'll have to look and see what Jordanes actually wrote etc.

And as Swede, I'd like to have all of Prussia back, too, while we're at it.

Hello,

I am Anthropology major in a Magic and religion class and I wanted to get some opinions about a concept we have worked with in class. By researching Asatru on the web, I have came across people who believe that Norse mythology and the Norse Gods/Goddess as being literally true and other’s who see them more as metaphors. I have even come across those who claim to be both an Asatruar and atheist. For those who either consider themselves to be Asatruar or knowledgeable about the religion: do you think it is possible to be both an atheist and an Astruar?

I have my own opinions, but would appreciate any comments people have on the subject. I plan on sharing this with my class. BTW, I have read a lot of the comments on Norse mythology and have enjoyed them :)

Holy sh** what a question! Not easily answered in a short post, for sure…
In my kindred, we have both the type of people who take the stories as 100% fact, and some who see them as metaphors. You get that in most religions, certainly in the Judeo-Christian ones. The thing about asatru and atheism is that if you do not take the myths as fact, but still adhere to the general lifestyle of the ON, then at some point or another, you find yourself at a spot where it is no longer a religion, but rather, a philosophy. You can adhere to a philosophy and be an atheist. The same holds true for ancestor worship: if you do not believe that all the myths are 100% factual events, but let’s say 50% fact, 50% fiction added for us to learn/explain something pertinent to the lifestyle at hand, then you can look at Odin and co as ancestors who lived a long time ago. In that case, you can also be asatru and atheist, because then you are merely honoring your ancestors the way you would remember a dead grandfather, and hope that some of his spirit lives in you,and also hope that your grandchildren will do the same (hence the “kinsmen die, cattle die” stanzas 76 and 77 from the Havamal as well as the memory-stones spoken of in stanza 71). Then it boils down to DNA (some people see that as our ancestors’ legacy) and quantum physics (their energy transferred to other things but still being here), but for the sake of giving things a name, when people partake in such things, we call it ancestor worship, which falls under the heading of religion. If someone then asks you which religion you are when you think your ancestors’ names are Odin and Figga, then you’d have to say that you are asatru, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you feel like a religious person. Asatru actually lends itself extremely well to quantum physics, even in the way the old texts are worded and in the things within the things that are emphasized in the Norse culture, so for someone who does not have religious visions etc, it is quite easy to say that you can be both asatru and atheist. If you believe that the sky really is made up of Ymer’s skull, yes, then obviously you are adhering to a religious stance. If you think that that explanation is one which our ancestors came up with to explain things they did not understand, and that we as modern people must honor those same ancestors by keeping their stories (legacies) alive, because this is according to the Havamal (stanza 76 and 77) what a good descendant does. The concept of the good name being the way to gain eternal life is central to this thinking. But if it’s the name that lives on, and not the person’s soul or energy, then is it really a religion? Or are you asatru and atheist at the same time?It is because the likes of you and I (anthropologists, ethnologists and archaeologists) have to have a name for things under which to group them, such as religion as a difference to philosophy, that we in the modern western world view this as a contradiction of terms. That in itself is a very ethnocentric way of looking at things, and it stems from an inability to understand the archaic mind. If you look at asatru purely from a religious standpoint, you’ve failed to recognize the philosophy part and all the other parts that cannot be removed from it. It stems from a westernized way of viewing the linear time concept, whereas nature religions and many other non-western religions, have a three dimensional concept of time. In such a concept, one cannot remove religion from, say, lovemaking, cooking, hunting, fighting and so on, as there is no distinction. Every act is then a holy act, set up to maintain the bond between past, present and future, or else chaos will ensue. Does that help you any? I mean, I can answer it in personal terms, but this is the ethnoarchaeologist in me telling you this in very general terms. /T

Thank you so much Tyra, it’s exactly what I needed and I have similar opinions on this subject. In class we started with a discussion on what is religion and attempted to define it, so that we can look at it in an anthropological way. We discussed functions of religion and this made it easier for people to understand other peoples beliefs, since the western ethnocentric viewpoint tends to label any faith other than the “top 3” as being a cult, etc. including belief systems that do not necessarily believe in the supernatural, but find answers in the natural, anthropologists can include other groups of people. This wasn’t discussed in class, but I think this allows those who call themselves atheists to be included into the religious group. Since all people have a belief system that allows them to deal or understand the unexplainable, as well as the cause and effect relationship’s in the world. This is basic function of religion anyway. While I started doing research the idea of atheism as a religion came up, as well as Atheist Asatru. My idea is that they are not atheist asatruar at all, just asatruar. In a roundabout way I hope I made sense.

I explained this to my husband (he calls himself an athiest) and it made sense to him... So getting him to agree that atheism is a beleif system was pretty cool.

BTW, right after reading this post last night, the south park atheist episode was on...weird :)

Again thank you. I always learn so much while reading these posts.

Also, has anyone read the Old English Caedmon's Hymn, the "first" English Christian poem? I love reading the original and then looking at the accepted translation...the english verison says "lord almighty" but it says in old english "Frea allmehtig" ... Lol no body probably cares, but their are other examples of this in old english "christian" lit. :)

Also, has anyone read the Old English Caedmon's Hymn, the "first" English Christian poem? I love reading the original and then looking at the accepted translation...the english verison says "lord almighty" but it says in old english "Frea allmehtig" ... Lol no body probably cares, but their are other examples of this in old english "christian" lit. :)

Yeah, interesting, isn't it?
If you want something really mixed up, see if you can find an English translation of Solarljod (Thorpe made one, but I can't find it on-line for you - I use the Swedish or German versions myself). It is a Christian vision-poem, complete with nine rune carving daughters of Njord, and the line "on the chair of the Norns I sat nine days" etc, etc.
If you go here:
www.stavacademy.co.uk/mimir/aecerbot.htm
you can read the aecerbot, and then compare it to the heathen landtaking ritual in Landnamabok (is available at northvegr.org) and the "Hail Day and Day's sons" prayer in Sigrdrifa. It is quite an overlap!!

No, I hadn't, but now that you've brought it up, I am curious! When I get some time, I'll have to look and see what Jordanes actually wrote etc.

And as Swede, I'd like to have all of Prussia back, too, while we're at it.

Actually that was suppose to be "as a Dane". But as a Swede I can take Pommerania etc. What the hell, I'll take it all. Muahahahha...

Just reread Röde Orm and realised it was not the Finnvedingar I was talking about, but the Virdar from Värend. they were the ones who were described as of a "kind of their own" and with different, weird customs. They apparantly sometime in history conquered Växsjö, but I know little else.