Viking mythology and all that goes with it

I need to just read every page of this thread. I got a lot of shot to learn.

Tyra, where you live in Canada? Me and my fiance were thinking of moving up to Canada but I want to go somewhere with others who live by the old traditions. There isn't many down here. I only know of 1 other and he happens to be my best friend lol
I live an hour or so outside of Vancouver, BC, but you do NOT want to move here, because of the zillion mennoniyes to one Old Traditionalist factor. On the coast, especially on Salt Spring Island, are more heathens, some of whom are in the process of building a long house. Washington has a fairly large heathen population, too. My husband and I have been toying with the idea of setting up a Norse village for educational purposes, and I know one such village is being built by one asatru group in Wa.

Yes, they make decent wages, especially right now, what with the real estate market exploding. It's absolutely in sane. The question is how long the economy can keep up with the boom. Cost of living is great here comparatively speaking, but with the gas prices how they are and then housing eating 70% of the monthly income, it still feels expensive...

Yea. Pretty similar down here except the cost of living sucks and the real estate market is shit right now. But I need to get out of this hot crap and go somewhere colder. I hate the heat.

I think it's pretty similar everywhere, and I hear ya on the heat. The market here isn't bad, and the cost of living is alright, but holy shit does the climate suck. I had thought about the northwest, but my folks just bought a good sized chunk of property up in New Hampshire, so I'm going to look into stuff up there when I go out there to help them move next week. Mountains, the sea, and nice cool weather, what more can a man ask for? :)

Yea. I love the nature. I hate cities and I live 20 minutes from Baltimore. This area even though it isn't Baltimore is just trash. The night sky is ruined in parts cause of the city lights. And I have looked at the price of housing in neighboring states and there a lot cheaper then here. Maryland is pretty expensive. I can barely afford living here. I just picked up a second job so I can get money and leave.

:lol: :lol: :lol: OK, but they traded with China, so maybe they got Udon by way of the Chinese, along with the silk and all those jade Bhuddas? For the sake of scientific accuracy, I will agree with Belgar, though.

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I think a samourai would beat a viking, just for the fact that Samourais were organized and trained in the art of warfare. Vikings had more of the unorganised structure that was typical of tribes such as the celts and germans who relied more on sheer numbers and ambushes.
Remember, a beard and muscles never won a war even if you were a viking.

One thing comes to mind, the Greek hoplite, mighty elite troops, soon surpassed by phalanx and later by Roman maniples. I can think of other more "actual" mighty invaders getting their ass kicked all over the places, but I won't get into that.

Tyra? any opinion? samourai or viking?

It's hard to call, seeing as the samurai as we know and picture them didn't come about until around the 14th/15th centuries with the advent of the katana. By this time, the descendants of the Norse and related tribes had also developed professional armies, cannon, and firearms. (Hundred Years War). I think the samurai in the Viking era were still primarily mounted archers, not the swordsmen we generally think of.

But taking both at their "idealized" state, well, that could be rather interesting. Both the katanas and the Viking swords were generally forge-welded steel, but the fighting styles were very different. And while a katana is sharp, it doesn't have quite the bulk to break a shield, which weren't generally used by the Japanese. Yeah, it would be an interesting fight. :)

Just for you, Bates...From the kids' Fun Fair at school:
img0111st3.jpg

As for the samuraj vs Norse, there were infinately more samuraj than Vikings, so more canon fodder, and they were appx 1000 years after the first Vikings, and thus must had better steel = weaponry. My vote is with the japs, but I am not an expert on samuraj warfare...

Egads, I can't let my wife see the necklaces. They're bigger then hers :p
Looks awesome, and reminds me.. I've seen quite a few mentions of the ladies often having some sort of key charm on their belt... any idea what that's about?

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I think a samourai would beat a viking, just for the fact that Samourais were organized and trained in the art of warfare. Vikings had more of the unorganised structure that was typical of tribes such as the celts and germans who relied more on sheer numbers and ambushes.
Remember, a beard and muscles never won a war even if you were a viking.
Pure bullshit!
Beard + axe = Victory
AND some vikings were highly skilled warrior, ever heard of stav?

The "key charm" was not a charm, it was all the keys of the household: When a free woman married, she would receive all the keys to her husbands farm, all the storage sheds and so on, much in the same fashion women now recive a ring for the finger. The keys were status symbols that showed her power and standing in society, and it was the proof that she was married. By virtue of having those keys, she had the power to say who ate, who didn't, when and what. It was her domain to control, so those keys are no joke. I have a stack hanging off my broaches, but in the pic, they're in the creases of the apron dress, so they don't show. I've a knife that is not visible hanging off there, too, and that white thing on my right is a bone sewing kit. On my skirt are chains with my scissors and my whetstone. The horn is another female attribute, also indicative of power and standing in society. Lesser people (such as men...) had cups at their disposal, but women were in charge of the horns. The horns were used to seal contracts and at blóts. Without the horn, no deal. Without the woman that owns the horn lending it, no horn. Gives women all sorts of non-official power. A man could not be elected lord w/o it being drank to from that particular horn (in other words, women had power at the thing, becasue they supported or withdrew support from the lord who'd represent her people), a man could not receive his inheritance w/o drinking from it, a man could not marry, complete a bussiness contract or perform a blót without drinking from it, and if the woman of the house did not agree, all she had to do was NOT offer up the horn and the deal was effectively off, without the man being able to do a damn thing about it. The horn was passed from one woman to the next in wills, and was actually give more importance in those wills than, for example, who was to inherit land and homes.