Viking mythology and all that goes with it

aye, Im totally gonna make a shield. should be fairly cheap too.
Anyone have any good links for building an actual shield... non of that plywood one piece crap.
Try this:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/shield/shield.html
It's from this really big site (not all in English, but you can look at the pics...): http://annat.net/ac/armor.htm
Tehy have armour construction and all sorts of shields etc there, but this is one done without using plywood...
I'm outta here for the week a of right now!

Try this:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/shield/shield.html
It's from this really big site (not all in English, but you can look at the pics...): http://annat.net/ac/armor.htm
Tehy have armour construction and all sorts of shields etc there, but this is one done without using plywood...
I'm outta here for the week a of right now!

yeah, I've seen that first link, didnt really like it.
I think I might just do it without any plans or anything, basically just saw screw it. :)

shit, the more I think about it, I might just use the plywood one piece crap :lol:

Plywood looks just as good once painted, and seems to hold up better if used. I haven't managed to get one to go together the right way, either, but I'm not so good at woodwork. Not much better at metalwork either, but doing it satisfies something deep down, so I'll just keep learning the hard way. (Free time would help, too, oi.)

Plywood looks just as good once painted, and seems to hold up better if used. I haven't managed to get one to go together the right way, either, but I'm not so good at woodwork. Not much better at metalwork either, but doing it satisfies something deep down, so I'll just keep learning the hard way. (Free time would help, too, oi.)

Making a dagger is not that hard i made a couple sharp fuckers all you need is a basic metal shop and patience, i even made a harpoon when i was still in metal class(thats really how its called:p Has nothing with music though iam a afraid)

I want to make a crossbow, a regural bow would be to exspensive :erk:

It's not hard to make a workable bow, but to make a good one is tricky. My friend's father is a bowyer, makes traditional Native American bows generally... they're sweet. Not quite as accurate as my modern compound, but they pack almost as much punch (75lb draw on the compound, ~60lb on the longbow).

As for the daggers, you're talking machining, right? Because if they have a forge in your school, my ass is moving my kids there. :p

yeah im thinking plywood. maybe I'll do that this weekend. who knows

It's not hard to make a workable bow, but to make a good one is tricky. My friend's father is a bowyer, makes traditional Native American bows generally... they're sweet. Not quite as accurate as my modern compound, but they pack almost as much punch (75lb draw on the compound, ~60lb on the longbow).

Thats pretty sweet, 60lb! At the archery where i come, we've got some people who made their own longbows, they use them in competitions and everything. I'll probably make one myself one day :rolleyes:

As for the daggers, you're talking machining, right? Because if they have a forge in your school, my ass is moving my kids there. :p

@ one school we did have one. But it was a different class than me.:kickass:

But the one i made the daggers i just used a blowtorch, an anvil, a hammer and polishingtool:headbang:

To bad the actual work fucking sucks, way to destructive on your body.

Not a miner, but I have been a lumberjack, farmhand, truck driver, umpteen varieties of construction laborer... these days I have a job that's almost white collar. Hel, I just got offered a job working at Harvard, lol. (I'm the copier guy ;) )

Hello everybody! My first post and first of all I’d like to thank all of you veterans for sharing your knowledge! I started reading this thread some five days ago, and I read all the posts, gaining lot’s of new knowledge and got some specifying to some things that were before a bit unclear to me. I also got a couple of good laughs and my eyes started to ache sometimes (mostly because of Tyra’s huge posts :p).

But now, I’ve got a couple questions to make. 8)

First: A couple of months ago I accidentally found an article which had been published in Kaltio magazine 4/2001, and it was titled “Olivatko viikinkikuninkaat suomalaisia?” (“Were the Viking kings actually finnish?”). I couldn’t find more info from the net, but I bet some of you have read those books the writer refers to, so maybe you could check the article and tell what you think of it?

http://www.kaltio.fi/index.php?81 (in finnish)

When I was half way done translating it for you, I found the same article in English in some dude’s blog, with some other info added to it (it’s got some little details dropped out, but it’s good enough):

http://aleksur.blogspot.com/2006/07/nordic-kings-family-tree-alternative.html (in english)

I haven’t read the books the writer refers to (YET! because I’ve just finished upper secondary school and have got no money to buy the books. I’ve got a very very long list of books I would like to get, and my library really lacks those books, or someone always borrows them just before me!). I read a lot of books, so it’s just a matter of time when I get to read everything I want to.

And my second question: I’m reading a book called Old Norse and Finnish religions and cultic place-names, and in the opening address written by Carl-Martin Edsman he mentions Christian rune-stones.

Old Norse and Finnish religions and cultic place-names p. 16

“Linderholm returned many times to the rune-stones, for instance in a printed statement from a session of the Chapter of Uppsala in 1933, where he was speaking on Bishop Osmund, sent out from England, and called by Linderholm “apostle of Uppland”, and identified with the rune-carver Asmund Kareson: “My own studies on the christianization of Sweden, based on THE CHRISTIAN RUNE-STONES from the eleventh century, have led to the general conclusion, that our people was Christianized both earlier and more widely than has been hitherto believed…”

(Actually, I think that someone might have mentioned Christian rune-stones just like 10 to 20 pages ago?)

I found out a little about them from Wikipedia, but would like to know more and more precisely. So if anyone knows anything about them...

And third: Is anyone familiar with Jesse Byock’s translation of The Prose Edda? (That’s the only version they’ve got in Finland’s biggest bookstore’s netstore, and Amazon doesn’t support any of those paying methods I can use.)
So should I buy it, or try somehow to get my hands on the versions you've recommended before in this thread?

Byock sounds familiar, but I haven't read that one myself, and can't remember where I saw it referenced. As for the Christian runestones, my understanding is that, yes, many of them do date to the post-Christianized period. I'm not real up on Scandanavian history, except where it happens to intersect with my families history, and I really don't know jack about you crazy Finns. ;)

Hey Reinhold! Nice to meet you.
I have the mother of all migraines tonight, so I am going to start with answering your question with a question becasue I can't seem to think clearly (sorry): Do you mean Saxo Grammaticus and Widsith and that kind of litterature in your first question? If so, I have read bunches of it, and you can too, for free on the net. I can give you links to a lot of them if you tell me which ones you want to read, and which language(s) you can read. Anyhow, I'll read the article properly as soon as my head stops making my stomach turn itself right side out...I'm seeing double right now, and not just because of the Smirnoff Ice this time!

I am not familiar with that particular translation of the Edda, but you can find many on-line versions to compare it with. I can recommend BookPlus.fi as a good, reputable dealer in Finland. They may be able to help you find another version and work out a way for you to pay for it if you are not so sure about that other one. Or just do a Google Book search for the Bylock version and it'll probably let you read some of it on-line, so you can see what you think yourself. Don't they have Finnish-language translations of the Edda??

The vast majority of the Scandinavian rune stones were raised by Christians. That means that there is an awful lot that I could say about this particular subject, so maybe, rather than my posting one of those super-de-duper long posts, do you have specific questions regarding that or do you just want some general info re. Christian rune stones, like why, where and when?

Hi there, im new here (in this sub forum, i came from the Nekrogoblikon forum), and i have a few questions:

Does Freyja have a rune?, ive been searching and i never found it (with "her rune" i men the rune that represents her, like Tiwaz represents Týr and Ansuz represents Odín).
Is possible to get the Saemund Edda? I barely managed to get the Edda Snorri (im from Argentina, South America) and i want to know if theres a posibility to get the poetic Edda from internet, because it seems to be impossible to find it here.
Can you also recommend me some mitology books?
And finally, this is more concerning to you -the people who posts here-:
Just to know: Are you a really Ásatrúar (or Wiccan)? Do you really believe in The Ases and Vanes or you just say "hail Oden" because it sounds cool or because you imitate what you hear in a song of the bands you like?
The last one is just to know how many of the people how says to "hail" the gods really does it, i expect to not hurt anybody's feelings with this, but i think there's a lot of "posers" (to say it of someway) hanging around (not here exactly, i mean everywhere).