Viking mythology and all that goes with it

Yep, but I've been working pretty hard - we had about 1000 visitors to the haunted house that me and my friend Katie spent three days setting up last week. Now I'm still taking it down and trying to get other work done. Going to some swag dinner thing tomorrow, but I'll get on it as soon as I can. /T

Its alright, take your time, i was just wondering :p Theres absolutely no hurry on this one anyway

So it was a busy night! Do you have pictures!? sounds impressive!!!

It was an awesome night! We made over 1700 bucks, had well over 600 visitors. I made both papers this year and we freaked out so many people so badly. nobody crapped their pants this year like last year though... We made them scream really loud, however!

Thats so great!!! You should record their scream and use them the next year hehe
Does the money you made (how anyway!!??) gonna finance next halloween ?

Any pårofit goes into the museum for whatever we need, like my wages, next Halloween, educational materails, research etc. It all helps a bit, even if it's "only" $1700. Some events aren't as much fun as this one, though. It's interesting, too, to stop and consider what you're doing and what it is that we're really celebrating as you're decorating this historic house with a multitude of skeletons, some of which are feasting on night crawlers, eyeballs, rats and bones, while others are part of the props for our Dr Jekyll. We even have a real coffin (not a prop coffin, but the real thing, weighs lead) that we usually make someone lie in and scare the hell out of people. This year I amde a costume that made my face blacked out, so you could not tell if I was human or not. That feaked out the kids like you wouldn't believe it. Nothing like coming face to face with an apparition in the dark in a haunted house that supposedly has a real ghost in it even when it's not Halloween...

So I'm trying to read the Edda poems but i could understand nothing, does anybody know a good book that relates the Edda in a simpler way??

So I'm guessing you're reading the Poetic Edda? How about starting with the Prose Edda? The Edda is not one book, it's two, and yes, one is difficult!

So I'm trying to read the Edda poems but i could understand nothing, does anybody know a good book that relates the Edda in a simpler way??

As Tyra said, you should start with the Prose Edda before the Poetic Edda. But I'd recommend you read something that explains and summarizes norse mythology before reading the actual texts. Then you read the translated texts but the book should have notes because obviously with all the kennings (sort of metaphores) and such you'll have difficulties understanding what's going on.

This thread is awesome I'm gonna bookmark this. Btw, are there any good viking-themed/norse mythology movies?? So far I have seen Pathfinder and The 13th Warrior.. I hated Pathfinder, portrayed Vikings in a bad way.

This thread is awesome I'm gonna bookmark this. Btw, are there any good viking-themed/norse mythology movies?? So far I have seen Pathfinder and The 13th Warrior.. I hated Pathfinder, portrayed Vikings in a bad way.

Apparently there are some good Icelandic movies about Vikings, but obviously they are hard to get if you're not Scandinavian.

The recent danish film Valhalla Rising is pretty good IMO, but somewhat hard to grasp. Yet I liked the beginning which pictured the tension between pagans and christians, and the general harsh feel of the film.

Think all you want about Mel Gibson, but he's a great filmmaker and wanted to make a film about vikings, in old Norse (like his work in Apocalypto and The Passion), but the latest news I heard was that it was pretty much canceled because of the latest scandal with his aggressive phone conversation with his girlfriend or whatever which pretty much ruined his career or something... I hope he'll still make the movie because I'm sure he can do something great.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check out Valhalla Rising. Yes, Mel Gibson can do justice in making a brilliant film on Norse Mythology IMO, too bad he had to cancel the project.

in the song "For Victory Or Death" there's :
Raise the flag once more
in the east the eagle will be fed
we will march to war
for victrory or death

does anyone know the meaning of "in the east the eagle will be fed"?
I searched a lot over the internet but couldn't find something that satisfies my curiosity :D

just a random guess, but I think it just means there will be bloodshed from warfare in the east...didn't the Swedish vikings travel east, to the Byzantine Empire and Russia, etc?

just a random guess, but I think it just means there will be bloodshed from warfare in the east...didn't the Swedish vikings travel east, to the Byzantine Empire and Russia, etc?

Yeah they did indeed travel east through the Baltic Sea, then went up/down the rivers. Anyway it's a good guess, better than anything I can come up with

yeah maybe, but i don't see the meaning of an eagle!!

Yeah the eagle is confusing =/