Vilewoman's off-topic random retardation thread.

Your german seems to be excellent!
So what do you think about....

It's so funny, so real - the problem with "th", the articulation....:D
Ok, I will sign up for Berlitz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha, yes i know this one. Zie djerman accent is great!!!

More or less horrible I would say.:D
But often it makes people smile, so.... Specially if it's obvious from which part of Germany the speaker is. In train announcements in English are already kind of running gag. There is even a book titled "Senk ju vor träwelling"...

Birthday soon.:)

Yeah but try having any announcement in German, French or Dutch in the US or England.
I find it ironic how Americans and Brits always expect people to speak English and cater to their monolinguistic skills when they travel around Europe (or the rest of the world for that matter).

Hmm, of course, but those announcements are not specially directed to Americans or British people. As far as I can remember, things like those announcements started with EU, at least in Germany. Fact is, that English is World Language No.1. Most pupils in EU learn English as their first foreign language in school, don't they?
It makes some sense to have kind of common language I guess, at least it makes things easier. Maybe Esperanto or something like that would be the better choice, don't know. Anyway, how could they decide there in US for an announcement in another language? For which language? Would be quite exhausting listening to an announcement in any language.
Apart from that, travellers from US or GB and even (pitiable) Call Center Agents often ask when they start: Do you speak English? At least that's my experience.

Hmm, of course, but those announcements are not specially directed to Americans or British people. As far as I can remember, things like those announcements started with EU, at least in Germany. Fact is, that English is World Language No.1. Most pupils in EU learn English as their first foreign language in school, don't they?
It makes some sense to have kind of common language I guess, at least it makes things easier. Maybe Esperanto or something like that would be the better choice, don't know. Anyway, how could they decide there in US for an announcement in another language? For which language? Would be quite exhausting listening to an announcement in any language.
Apart from that, travellers from US or GB and even (pitiable) Call Center Agents often ask when they start: Do you speak English? At least that's my experience.

Mm, I worked on a call centre (I guess I had sins to atone for) for a number of years, providing multilingual support- I had more calls in the Spanish line from the US than from Spain. Why? Latino community. Spanish is gaining pace as a second language there very fast and I think Americans are more open to learning languages than we give them credit for.

After that I had a short stint teaching languages in Scottish secondary schools, two of which were in quite poor areas. Obviously I still had some previous lifes to atone for or something, because it was HELL!. the motivation of these kids to learn languages was nil because they are too used to everyone else learning English and had no interest in other countries/cultures.

However- Esperanto never came to anything because it is more or less an academic joke.

@ Maria, what will happen when Scotland gets independence in 2014 (if it goes through)? Will you switch to Scots?

Aye ;) I'll post in Scots. All exam papers in Secondary school are already available in Lowland Scots and Gaelic. Little takeup of either.

I won't be able to vote on this one. But I tell you many people all over Europe will be watching carefully and taking notes and trying to see whether it applies to their own home turf.

Aye ;) I'll post in Scots. All exam papers in Secondary school are already available in Lowland Scots and Gaelic. Little takeup of either.

I won't be able to vote on this one. But I tell you many people all over Europe will be watching carefully and taking notes and trying to see whether it applies to their own home turf.

Aye, Belgium won't be too far behind. Oddly enough, an article in a Belgian newspaper this morning mentioned plans in Wallonia to let go of Brussels and work on a plan B alone by 2014 and latest 2019. Here many people agree that our country without government for 500 days was only delaying the inevitable split of the country. Of course, if Scotland achieves independece that would launch a wave of similar movements across many regions of the EU.

The Dutch always liked the idea of splitting Belgium. Give us Vlaanderen and together with all our dutch specialities we will be the country with the most beer, chocolate and "frieten" in Europe ;o)):kickass:

For the dutch speaking members: translated message on facebook: ROTFL
We hebben een winnaar voor de leger overschot jas geselecteerd!
De winnaar zal worden aangemeld via e-mail.
Het was uiterst moeilijk, aangezien de meesten van u had heel goede redenen voor het winnen van het! Wij wensen hadden we honderden van deze uit te geven, maar helaas was het slechts zulks men.
We moeten meer raffles coming up, dus we raden wie dit keer opnieuw controleren en nemen in de toekomst give aways niet gewonnen!
Bedankt voor uw steun en toewijding