Watch Andy mixing an album ?

Thats exactly how these courses should be treated, as a means to work with gear you wouldnt normally have the opportunity to use.
Going to music tech college has allowed me to get hands on experience and to me, thats made it all worth it. Next year its protools training, i'd never have that opportunity anywhere else

You're not "working with gear" at school. You're learning about it. But to really understand how the gear works you have to be in the studio using it every day. Instead of paying someone to "teach" you, you can get paid to actually work with the gear.

Of course, if one applies themselves at school there aren't really any drawbacks from an educational standpoint. My point is that the best classroom, where the best and most legendary engineers are conceived, is the studio.

I have studied Music Production at the University for almost a year now. I wouldn't recommend my school to anyone. There will never be as much time for practice in any school as if you had your own gear and your own place.

I think Andy said in an interview that too many young people throw away their money in school instead of buying gear for the money and record local bands to learn the art...

and you say you KNOW recording schools are a waste of time, well thats a matter of opinion not fact

If you've seen as many recording school-bred losers come and go without ever making a single penny in the music biz as I have, then by the law of inductive reasoning, it becomes fact.

i go to a recording school, and i think the reason why It seems like it's a waste of time, is because the majority of people in the schools are idiots, and they lack the passion or interest to really be an engineer.

An example of this is that part way through the term, the school lets us have sometinhg like 12 hours a month of free time in any of the studios. We have all these awesome consoles and rooms and gear, but the majority of students don't actually want to utilize that time. The majority of students make electronic music (no offense to electronic music fans) and they don't have any use for an ssl9k, neve or a studer.
Most of the students just want to smoke weed and goof off. I've only met a tiny handful of people that are dedicated to their craft. Also the majority of students who go to the schools, have ZERO knowledge or experience. They just think, hey it's easier to get into here than a 4 year.

suckme.gif

special%20olympics.jpeg

Whats so shocking about that statement? I wouldn't bother to learn about half the shit I learn in school if I wasn't there. I also agree that school (alot of it) sucks and is a waste of time. For instance internships waste of money and time, how is rolling up cables and going to puchase the lunch learning anything? But seriously I have no idea some of the basics, nor do i get it when reading about it. Still don't get what side chaining is or what it does (even after reading and seeing a vid on it). Don't understand patchbays or why I would need one. Basically I see it as home studio= exsperience and school= learning why shit is done the way it is. You can disagree I don't care, I really don't. the fact is that most people can't exsplain shit with the mentallity that they are talking to a newber. Even some of shit that goes on in here is way the fuck over my head.

This is a fucking nightmare.

One guy just wants to learn a few techniques...

One guy wants to shit on it and force his ideals...

Naming names? Not my game.

Ive been playing drums for 19 yrs, and still bought Thomas Lang's DVD... because he's got ideas I didnt have... I dont think anybody is saying there should be a DVD of a guy sitting there listening to the same track for the day's length.. Im thinking people are just saying they wouldn't mind if someone had a DVD saying "this is my idea about this" or whatever. And even if not Andy, maybe CR or Townsend or Nordstrom or whomever, that's really the point, I'd guess.

Some people learn better from "hands on" school type instruction. Some learn better with some of their own gear and free time.

Everyone here has a point, of course, but I enjoyed the "a year and a half" thing by metallica, the one on the studio, it inspired me a lot and got me thinking differently not only on studio trickery.
It would be good to see footage from sessions, but sure it's not like standing there.

I went to a recording school and most of the guys I was there with had some sort of a setup at home. We learnt techniques at the school and developed them at home. We also had loads of practical time at the school and I managed to get 3 bands in to record and spend a decent amount of time on the projects as well. I also now work as a live engineer.

Having said this I do think a lot of recording scholl graduates cant find work so just set up another recording school.

This is where I'm hoping to go when I get some cash together:

http://www.s-s-r.com

I want to do the 18-month Audio Technology & Engineering course there. I've been writing, recording and mixing my own music at home for around two years now, using things I've learned from this forum, things I've taken from archived articles from Sound On Sound, EQ and Mix magazines, and through just generally dicking around. However, the only equipment I own is a guitar, a bass, a Line6 Guitarport, some shareware drum sequencing software, and a pirated copy of Adobe Audition. I live with my parents, so I can't very well build a studio of my own, nor could I afford it even if I was able. So the SSR will be a great way for me to get proper, hands-on experience (through booking studio time and recording local bands) with actual professional equipment that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to get near.

I don't expect to get a job immediately after walking out of the place - in fact, I fully anticipate many evenings and weekends of coffee-making, CD-fetching, toilet-scrubbing and general toadying in whatever studio I can get to take me on before I get near a desk again - but the education will help as will the experience and, possibly, the networking opportunities.

I don't see anything wrong with people who want to get into the recording industry using whatever resources that happen to be available to them to get ahead. Anything can be useful if applied in the right way - dismissing things out of hand as a waste of time would seem to be an excellent way to shut yourself out from new ideas that otherwise may not have occurred to you.

Just my two cents.

the secrets of the master dies with master :)

Gotta disagree , Andy has been very kind in divulging many of the techniques that he uses !

We can't replicate his mixes because we're not him and we don't listen for balance / details / sound like the way he does and we don't have his ears.

Even guys like Andy wallace and Charles dye have put out most of the their "secrets"

There are some guys here who have even studied Andy Wallace's mix notes using recall but are unable to duplicate his mixes

guys, the best thing is reality-show Andy on Mixing
or The Speap'ers

or maybe it will be a talk-show: Andy Sneap show - where guests will discuss a problems of music)

haha

i go to a recording school, and i think the reason why It seems like it's a waste of time, is because the majority of people in the schools are idiots, and they lack the passion or interest to really be an engineer.

An example of this is that part way through the term, the school lets us have sometinhg like 12 hours a month of free time in any of the studios. We have all these awesome consoles and rooms and gear, but the majority of students don't actually want to utilize that time. The majority of students make electronic music (no offense to electronic music fans) and they don't have any use for an ssl9k, neve or a studer.
Most of the students just want to smoke weed and goof off. I've only met a tiny handful of people that are dedicated to their craft. Also the majority of students who go to the schools, have ZERO knowledge or experience. They just think, hey it's easier to get into here than a 4 year.

+1

I see this at the college i'm studying at, burns me up inside. So many people there just to kill time with a complete lack of interest in everything.

they don't have any use for an ssl9k, neve or a studer.
That's something you don't hear everyday!:lol: Yeah there's a lot of people in these classes, sucking down their parent's money. The people who are truly passionate about it, stick with it, living on ramen noodles and cheap beer.:lol: The ones who don't care about shit, because daddy's not there with the checkbook in class, get weeded out.