Watershed is a Watershed

The thing is: They do what they want however you feel about it. Personally I would like to see a "more metal"/heavier album but only time will tell...

And leaves them free to create the mindfuckingest mindfuck of a metal album ever recorded next time... with STEVEN WILSON AT THE HELM!

Think about it!

I agree with the Steven Wilson part, but this is a Watershed into a much more diverse band from now on. I'd say they should push the limits into all other musical styles that they see fit. I mean a truly progressive album for the next one with no bounds. I want to listen to Opeth for once, and say, "Wow I truly didn't expect them to do that."

A bit with the small circus part in LTE, but I'm hoping for more, much more.

i think opeth has done enough metal records, glad to see them moving even further away.

just because its mellow doesnt mean its any less evil.. remember that!

Only because Watershed were less metal dont mean that the next one will be even more mellow.

Like he said it doesn't mean it has to be more mellow or less dark sounding, but diversity is key especially for a band with this many records. Remember that.

I agree with the Steven Wilson part, but this is a Watershed into a much more diverse band from now on. I'd say they should push the limits into all other musical styles that they see fit. I mean a truly progressive album for the next one with no bounds. I want to listen to Opeth for once, and say, "Wow I truly didn't expect them to do that."

I can definitely see them doing that. He told everyone in another thread not to ask them, or expect them, to "go back". I say, always go forward! Opeth are pretty much ahead of their game, and at this time, in contemporary progressive music, nobody can touch them. People may be disappointed with WS not being as heavy as older releases, but they must take in account the progressiveness and maturity of Opeth as they continually move forward. It's really amazing on what they've accomplished, and what they've yet to explore.

Did you expect Watershed to come out how it did? (this isn't directed toward you, Bluesky, but to everyone. I just quoted you because I am in 100% agreement):cool:

Did you expect Watershed to come out how it did? (this isn't directed toward you, Bluesky, but to everyone. I just quoted you because I am in 100% agreement):cool:

I really liked Ghost Reveries in fact it's in my top 3 Opeth records, but I was honestly getting a little worn out of the formula. Watershed revitalized my interest in the band not because it's truly the record I'm hoping they have yet to accomplish, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

All I can ever expect from Opeth is something different.
And that's pretty much the best thing ever.

As long as they don't start sounding too pretentious musically (I really really doubt it).

Can't wait to see what they come up with next time, now that Axe and Fredrik are settled into making Opeth music with Mike.

I agree with the Steven Wilson part, but this is a Watershed into a much more diverse band from now on. I'd say they should push the limits into all other musical styles that they see fit.

Really? They smashed so many genres into watershed I would hope they wouldn't try to add even more. I'm sorry but some things just don't sound right on that album. Lotus Eater would have crushed if it wasn't for the circus music break. In my opinion the only really solid tracks on the album are Burden and Heir Apparent. A lot of the songs just come off very odd sounding and erratic to me. Hex Omega is one of the most boring Opeth songs ever, and as the ender? Cmon...

Of course this is just my opinion and I know I will get flamed but whatever. Obviously everyone is going to have different musical tastes but I feel Mike is moving somewhere with Opeth that is very different than the band I fell in love with years ago.

Really? They smashed so many genres into watershed I would hope they wouldn't try to add even more. I'm sorry but some things just don't sound right on that album. Lotus Eater would have crushed if it wasn't for the circus music break. In my opinion the only really solid tracks on the album are Burden and Heir Apparent. A lot of the songs just come off very odd sounding and erratic to me. Hex Omega is one of the most boring Opeth songs ever, and as the ender? Cmon...

:devil:Of course this is just my opinion and I know I will get flamed but whatever.

:lol:Seriously, I think what they did with Watershed is absolute brilliance. They are managing to do what no other band can do with this. Any band that tries will not succeed. This is definitely the most progressive album of Opeth's to date, and Opeth, in turn, are becoming the pinnacle of what prgressive music is/should be all about. Heir Apparent (blistering metal) to Burden ('70s style progressive power ballad), and then plenty of experimental songs in between all on the same album? You can't deny the creativity and innovation!:cool:

Of course. I never said it was a bad album, ever. I went on a road trip by myself last weekend and listed to it like 4 times all the way through trying to get into it. It's just not clicking for me like all their prior albums have. It's Opeth, but a different Opeth. To me it has less atmosphere and darkness and some of the songs are all over the place. But I think that is what they were trying to do with the songs...

Of course this is just my opinion and I know I will get flamed but whatever. Obviously everyone is going to have different musical tastes but I feel Mike is moving somewhere with Opeth that is very different than the band I fell in love with years ago.
If you think Watershed broke into so many genres I'd say you need to expand your horizons. Bands shouldn't make the same albums even once, but after 9 albums if you're not ready for some real change again then there's something wrong with you, and not the band.

:lol:Seriously, I think what they did with Watershed is absolute brilliance. They are managing to do what no other band can do with this. Any band that tries will not succeed. This is definitely the most progressive album of Opeth's to date, and Opeth, in turn, are becoming the pinnacle of what prgressive music is/should be all about. Heir Apparent (blistering metal) to Burden ('70s style progressive power ballad), and then plenty of experimental songs in between all on the same album? You can't deny the creativity and innovation!:cool:

Opeth have perfected the formula for dynamics between extreme brutality to sedatively soft, but they are far from pushing the limits of progressive in terms of the amount of styles they cover. Most prog bands go into far more genres. For example bands like Pain of Salvation do much more within a cd span.

Opeth push the limits betdynamics between extreme brutality to sedative soft they really aren't pushing the limits of progressive. Most true prog bands go into far more genres. For example bands like Pain of Salvation do much more within a cd span.

But seeing where they came from to where they have currently arrived, they've come a long way as far as mixing genres. Obviously they still have their limitations (which continue to be exceeded with every album), but I can't think of one other band that sounds like them, or does what they do. As far as progressive metal is concerned, they're right on top. Opeth are very forward thinkers, and I can definitely see them spreading their style(s) out more and more over time. Watershed is without doubt their most mature.

Edit: I think it also has something to do with HOW they do it. PoS is extremely progressive, but they (to me) can get a little annoying and quirky from time to time. It's all a matter of taste, I guess.

I agree with all of that, but I'd say they're among the best of their class for sure.

Edit: I wasn't speaking about subjective things though. PoS certainly can do anything they set their minds to, which is a vast amount, and do among the highest of caliber regardless of if you personally like it or not.

One of the aspects of Opeth I enjoy is a general vibe they create. The total album experience. I think Watershed nails that, as well as most of their albums. A directive feel to them. By the way, I love Hex Omega...my favorite track on the album, and a perfect finisher.