Watershed Questions

CrimsonEdge6

New Metal Member
Apr 27, 2008
As a new member(but not a new fan) I wanted to make this the overall Watershed question thread since i didn't see one. My question is: What tuning was the album done in?

I'm going to go ahead and guess standard tuning. Alot of their riffs are based around the low-E string...so standard seems about right. If anyone knows any better feel free to correct me.

cool, i wanted to know this so i could learn The Lotus Eater. This question has nothing to really do with watershed, but has Opeth every used a crazy low tuning?

I personally think higher tunings make a death metal band sound more cynical and evil, and low tunings make them sound like a dull nu-metal band.

Opeth's Still Life and Ghost Reveries seemed tuned pretty high, and to me, they both sound the most evil.
Dark Tranquillity always tune pretty high, and they are the most evil sounding death metal band ive ever heard dispite their not-so-evil songwriting at times.
The Black Dahlia Murder tune pretty high and i love their sound, they sound so evil and cynical.

Low tunings sound like shitopia to me. You'de think it'd be the other way around. But idk i think it also depends on the singer's voices.
Opeth's singer has a low voice and higher tunned guitars sound better.
Where as it seems Cradle Of Filth sound abolsultely gay with high tunnings and evil with lower ones, because the guys voice is high pitched like crazy.

I also think tuning and sounds like that arent something modern bands pay much attention to.

Most of Ghost Reveries is in Open D, I believe. Very cool tuning, good for acoustic stuff, beats me how they managed to solo in it coz that's a pain in the ass.

Is porcelain heart in DROP D or OPEN D?

Please clarify, and thanks. I've been wondering about the new tuning for a couple weeks now.

the DADFAE tuning in GR wins

Its DADFAD actually I believe.

As far as TBDM tuning, they definitely tune in C...

I generally hate low tunings because they sound so loose and undefined.
TBDM does a good job with still sounding decent at a low tuning though.
Soilwork tunes in B and also still manages to sound very good.

I personally think higher tunings make a death metal band sound more cynical and evil, and low tunings make them sound like a dull nu-metal band.

Opeth's Still Life and Ghost Reveries seemed tuned pretty high, and to me, they both sound the most evil.
Dark Tranquillity always tune pretty high, and they are the most evil sounding death metal band ive ever heard dispite their not-so-evil songwriting at times.
The Black Dahlia Murder tune pretty high and i love their sound, they sound so evil and cynical.

Parts of Still Life were in drop D, GR was in DADFAE. TBDM tunes in C and DT tunes in C# I believe. So no, they're not "high" tunings.

I think there is no problem with low tunings... check Bloodbath,Hypocrisy etc. they usually tune B and sounds so fuckin' brutal. I never used higher tuning than EADGBE so I don't know how is it sounds but I think it sounds shitty :D On ghost reveries they used DADFAE in lot of songs ,and it sounds a bit strange i think, but Mike said it too that they used DADFAE not DADFAD

I think there is no problem with low tunings... check Bloodbath,Hypocrisy etc. they usually tune B and sounds so fuckin' brutal. I never used higher tuning than EADGBE so I don't know how is it sounds but I think it sounds shitty :D On ghost reveries they used DADFAE in lot of songs ,and it sounds a bit strange i think, but Mike said it too that they used DADFAE not DADFAD

Higher than E standard you use a capo. Most of Damnation had a capo on the second fret, so it's like tuning F#BEAC#F#