We Are The Void

I just heard Shadow In Our Blood in a local metal centered radio show. It's very good, uptempo song and starts with slightly oriental sounding keyboards before turning into a full blooded metal song. Those same keyboards are present in the chorus too which sounds good. Mikael's vocals are growls and those also sound very good and slightly dirty, just like ATPOI and DO. I would say it's about as good as At The Point Of Ignition and slightly more melodic. Great opener and apt choice for a video song.

I used to write reviews for a CRn web-site, but after a while I got into a point of stagnation. At first I was very passionate about writing reviews (writing two or three a week!), but after a while, with so much work and stuff, I started getting bored (and angry at my web-master). The problem with a review is that it's one's personal opinion on an album, and since every person is a world with different opinions and musical preferences, it seems somewhat purposeless.

And even more, nowadays you can just download the album and see if you like it or not. It'll be uploaded on You Tube and torrent within seconds after it's released, or before.

In the end I felt that writing reviews was senseless, since I now think that every person should listen to an album first, and then have his/her own opinion on it.

Why do you say everyone? I haven't heard it :( .

Well, I know it's not every single person in the whole world, but in truth, It's one of those albums that are just out there a lot of time before the official release, and haven't leaked yet and it's very frustrating! Since I still think that if you are to buy an album, you'll just buy it, if it leaks earlier or sooner, will not change anything...IMO.

I just heard Shadow In Our Blood in a local metal centered radio show. It's very good, uptempo song and starts with slightly oriental sounding keyboards before turning into a full blooded metal song. Those same keyboards are present in the chorus too which sounds good. Mikael's vocals are growls and those also sound very good and slightly dirty, just like ATPOI and DO. I would say it's about as good as At The Point Of Ignition and slightly more melodic. Great opener and apt choice for a video song.

Sounds good, is it available somewhere on the internet too?:D(Yes, I already pre-ordered it, just can't wait:D) But more melodic than ATPOI? Even more? And I thought that one was really melodic, getting really curious now...

Sounds good, is it available somewhere on the internet too?:D

I know you were asking for the radio broadcast of a song, but it's as good a time as any other to remind everyone that this is not the place to share information about when/where the album or parts of it leak.
Also, if you want to discuss the new songs at length before the release date, please put some kind of spoiler tag because I know not everybody likes to be spoilered. This does not apply to quick comments or links to reviews elsewhere on the internet, since those who click links should be prepared to face whatever comes next. ;)

@Firefest9: I, too, shit on people's carpets as soon as I step into their home. It makes for a terrific ice-breaker.

@Firefest9: I, too, shit on people's carpets as soon as I step into their home. It makes for a terrific ice-breaker.

Seriously, why do people only show up when they've got something negative to say? This is twice in the last week I've seen a "I'm here for the first time to say..." post. I get that people only speak when they've got something to say, so you're about as likely to hear something good as bad. For this reason, the internet generally doesn't represent popular opinion, i.e. we see the top 1% of positive and negative opinions, but none of the millions of people who feel one but not enough the say it.

I just don't understand why you would even open your mouth if you didn't want to have your opinion addressed. If it's just an unaddressable flame, why even write it?:rolleyes:

you guys have your panties in a bunch-chill out!

Seriously, in the long breaks between albums, i will come on here and see pointless post after post. Im here to talk about DT and their music-nothing more!

As for this album, im really not digging it-i have listened to it about 10 times now. I took a break at work for lunch, sat in my car and listened to it really thoughtfully and it just doesnt do anything for me. I think its a combo of the more goth-oriented song writting and/or the production, which seems really flat.

Fiction took about 10 listens to really get the gist of the album, but after 10 of this one, im still lost. :erk:

SO i heard the new Arsis album today....very good. So i've heard one of the two most anticipated albums of my life.lol. I so want "We are the Void" to leak...i mean i'd still buy it, i would, but fuckin damn its like everyone on the fuckin internet has heard it except for like....5 people. It's fuckin fucked.lol.

SO i heard the new Arsis album today....very good. So i've heard one of the two most anticipated albums of my life.lol. I so want "We are the Void" to leak...i mean i'd still buy it, i would, but fuckin damn its like everyone on the fuckin internet has heard it except for like....5 people. It's fuckin fucked.lol.
Actually most of us haven't heard it, those few dozen journalists just are quite vocal about the album. The watermark is certainly doing it's thing. Album hasn't leaked yet and probably wont leak in advance at all. Their label (Century Media) released 3 new albums yesterday and none of them leaked in advance. It's good for the band and also for us because there's no temptation.

Actually most of us haven't heard it, those few dozen journalists just are quite vocal about the album. The watermark is certainly doing it's thing. Album hasn't leaked yet and probably wont leak in advance at all. Their label (Century Media) released 3 new albums yesterday and none of them leaked in advance. It's good for the band and also for us because there's no temptation.

Yes, the watermarking really seems to be working. The journalists with album access know that their careers (if you can call it that, most of them have regular jobs as well) pretty much are over if they leak an album, and they'd be treated as pariahs by everyone in the industry. Plus that they get to sign a contract with some heavy legal implications in the case that they get caught, so nobody dares to spread the songs. Very good.

Qtulhu: I totally disagree with your "temptation theory", it's a fact that I will download the album on the internet, and IF I like it (which is very likely anyway) I'll buy it, and that's the right thing to do IMO, because it's not very wise to spend money in something that you dont know whether you are going to like or not.
However, I understand the position of Century Media, Dark Tranquillity is already a very well-known band, and they are doing their job to avoid the leaking.

Yes, the watermarking really seems to be working. The journalists with album access know that their careers (if you can call it that, most of them have regular jobs as well) pretty much are over if they leak an album, and they'd be treated as pariahs by everyone in the industry. Plus that they get to sign a contract with some heavy legal implications in the case that they get caught, so nobody dares to spread the songs. Very good.

That's very interesting, it definitely works because I remember Fiction being leaked about two or three months before it was released. It's fascinating to see that now they (journalists) have to sign a contract, I'm sure that will dissuade them to leak the album hehe.
I'm not sure if this is really useful, since the album will be uploaded to the net after it's released. But in a way I'm glad there hasn't been a leak (yet), it might incite people to buy the album. And that is good.

Has this only been done by CM or by other companies as well? Because the Orphaned Land album hasn't leaked either.

The new Arsis is great! Im really getting into it. have you seen the new video for "forced to rock" ? hilarious!

hmmm, then how did i get my "leaked" version? I didnt hear any watermark at all (unless thats the bad production i hear as an un-mastered version). I will investigate.

Watermarking is not detectable in the sound; it's a "signature" in the audio files that can be read by the right program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_watermarking

So whatever version you have most likely contains a watermarked ID that can be traced to a person that originally got the download link. That, or you hacked into Tue Madsens FTP server using ninja powers.

Watermarking is not detectable in the sound; it's a "signature" in the audio files that can be read by the right program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_watermarking

So whatever version you have most likely contains a watermarked ID that can be traced to a person that originally got the download link. That, or you hacked into Tue Madsens FTP server using ninja powers.

I think it's the latter Niklas :heh:

The thing about watermarks is, they're either either easily removable or they do affect the sound quality. For example, if it isn't actually audible, playing the digital file on one source, over an analog cable connected to a recorder, produces a recording that won't contain any watermark at all. If the watermark is metadata in the audio track, that could easily be stripped by any metadata editor (which means any CD ripping software, and probably any common media player), or it would be removed in the process of transcoding the file from one format to another.

There's also some information about one particular technology, VEIL, from security researcher Ed Felten here. That post is a few years old, so I'm not sure if it's still relevant, or if that particular technology is even still in use.

Watermarks are also only useful if you catch someone, or intend to enforce them. If Firefest knows someone who trusts him not to share it with anyone who cares to report it, then there's really no harm; if the leak isn't big enough for you find out and pursue it, it's not big enough to have a marketing impact. There's also the little problem of stolen CDs: if any of those preview releases are stolen and uploaded, someone's in trouble they may not really deserve.

That said, I respect the desire to keep the album under wraps. The sheer number of people clamoring for a leak, those who want one but remain silent, and those who are just patiently waiting for the release says something about how anticipated this album is. and that can really help it to make a splash when it comes out. I'm generally for getting work out there ASAP, but I can understand the power of a big release.