We Are The Void

I thought everything up to Americana was genius. Starting with Conspiracy, every Offspring album has been about rewriting the same songs. For example: Vultures is just Dirty Magic. That's one band that has fallen almost entirely into replicating its own earlier work.

Before the On-topic Nazis get me: Ultimately, even if you're not a fan of the new material, you should be thankful that DT has not stagnated. If they've taken a cue from their earlier work, they've basically focused themselves in a Haven-like direction, but the actual material is completely unique for the band and the genre.

That said, I still think it's the best one yet.

haha i am indeed gifted with the abillity of telepathy, i was just about to post a comment about how i wished u would do a similar breakdown and analysis of WATV =) Cant wait.

I gotta say, I'm slightly stunned at the number of DT fans who are or were into The Offspring. Every time I bring up a non-metal artist, I'm always a little bit afraid that I'm going to get flamed. I know that some metal fans are very close-minded, but you kind of have to be open to something different if you love DT.

What's also impressive is that people are into pre-Smash albums. Considering that the band was almost completely unknown at the time, that suggests that: many of us found the band after they made it big, got into them in a big way, and found ourselves loving the early material the most. I wonder what the correlation is between early Offspring albums and DT... I certainly can't see any similarity

As for my written analysis, it's mostly just things like tension and mood in sections, tempo and time signature changes, where different instrumental parts come and go along with others, and some talk about the melodies themselves. I played piano for some time, so I have a working knowledge of harmonic/melodic interaction, but it's really hard to get analytical about melody. I also know a tiny little bit about the guitar from chatting with a friend and watching YouTube videos, so I have very little to say about the specifics of the guitar work (other than to repeat a thousand times that it is awesome). You really just have to let it sing to you. I'm pretty sure that the writing is clear as to what I'm talking about in the music, but I'm not 100% certain that I always stopped to consider that I'm not writing for someone with my exact level of knowledge. I'll be happy to clarify anything when the time comes.

@Defiance: I just noticed today that the item description for the 2LP set was updated at some point to confirm that it has the bonus tracks on it. Not sure if you knew or not, but... Awesome. I was afraid that I'd have a slightly castrated version on my shelf. I'll be scrambling post-release to listen through those songs a few dozen times for some analysis (on CD, to spare the vinyl).

I gotta say, I'm slightly stunned at the number of DT fans who are or were into The Offspring. Every time I bring up a non-metal artist, I'm always a little bit afraid that I'm going to get flamed. I know that some metal fans are very close-minded, but you kind of have to be open to something different if you love DT.

What's also impressive is that people are into pre-Smash albums. Considering that the band was almost completely unknown at the time, that suggests that: many of us found the band after they made it big, got into them in a big way, and found ourselves loving the early material the most. I wonder what the correlation is between early Offspring albums and DT... I certainly can't see any similarity.

I was still listening to Ixnay (first I got into, then there were Smash and Ignition) when I laid my pawns on a copy of The Gallery, so there you go.

Close-minded metalheads are secretly gay.

For cock.

But seriously: to fully appreciate and be into dt - that means you got to have a spark (better word, anyone?) of intelligence. That doesn't mean other bands/fans are dumb, but dt - to me anyway - had this complexity that I never saw a, to put it mildly, simpler mind enjoying in full for extended periods of time. On the other hand Difiancée is still around, so I'm puzzled... but anyway - in addition to that you have to be open minded about many things music-wise (not just metal).

After all it's not COB or IF board. Where most users are openly gayer than gay.

For cock.

What's also impressive is that people are into pre-Smash albums. Considering that the band was almost completely unknown at the time, that suggests that: many of us found the band after they made it big, got into them in a big way, and found ourselves loving the early material the most. I wonder what the correlation is between early Offspring albums and DT... I certainly can't see any similarity

As for my written analysis, it's mostly just things like tension and mood in sections, tempo and time signature changes, where different instrumental parts come and go along with others, and some talk about the melodies themselves. I played piano for some time, so I have a working knowledge of harmonic/melodic interaction, but it's really hard to get analytical about melody. I also know a tiny little bit about the guitar from chatting with a friend and watching YouTube videos, so I have very little to say about the specifics of the guitar work (other than to repeat a thousand times that it is awesome). You really just have to let it sing to you. I'm pretty sure that the writing is clear as to what I'm talking about in the music, but I'm not 100% certain that I always stopped to consider that I'm not writing for someone with my exact level of knowledge. I'll be happy to clarify anything when the time comes.

@Defiance: I just noticed today that the item description for the 2LP set was updated at some point to confirm that it has the bonus tracks on it. Not sure if you knew or not, but... Awesome. I was afraid that I'd have a slightly castrated version on my shelf. I'll be scrambling post-release to listen through those songs a few dozen times for some analysis (on CD, to spare the vinyl).

Haha I don't think there's any relation between D.T. and T.O. As far as I know, Mikael is a Rush (new documentary by Sam Dunn coming soon) fan. Perhaps Martin H. has a T.O. tattoo? :p

Hey that's great news!!! More bonus tracks! :headbang: But are those the same as the one from the ltd. CD? And I thought it was a gatefold LP with one LP, not two. Even better then! :kickass:

I listened to 'Her Silent Language' today, and really liked most of it. (I still don't like the very new-In-Flames style at parts). The album is certainly a grower (for me, at least), so I basically can't wait for the package to get here to listen to the album. Perhaps next Monday.

I listened 3 songs (The Fatalist, In My Absence and The Grandest Accusation) and those sound very good. I will listen the rest of the album when I get the actual physical product.

I think the new album is amazing (even though I only heard the crapy sounding leak), it´s full of power and its moods are the best. My copy will arrive in a couple of weeks, can´t wait to have it.
I must say that I was a bit scared before getting to listen it. The same happened with Damage Done, Character and Fiction. I mean, every band has a stain in their career, and with a band like DT when all previous work was from great to excellent you get the feeling that the next one will be that album, the one which will disappoint you... but amazingly Dark Tranquillity cames out with another masterpiece to carry on with a flawless discography. You may like it more or less than the other albums, but you can´t say that they have a bad album.

Congratulations guys! You´ve done it again!!
Hope to see you on stage once again!

Dark Tranquillity Vocalist Checks In From Killswitch Engage Tour -Encourages Fans To Relay Their Honest Opinions of New Material

http://www.centurymedia.com/newsdetailed.aspx?IdNews=8482&IdCompany=2

...we are really excited to see that the album is getting rave reviews and the friends we´ve played it to really love it.
It seems to generate a lot of heated discussion too, which I view as a good sign.
With such a diverse album we are bound to hear all kinds of comments and we always welcome that. Bring on the love/hate fest!

Hey that's great news!!! More bonus tracks! :headbang: But are those the same as the one from the ltd. CD? And I thought it was a gatefold LP with one LP, not two. Even better then! :kickass:

The item description is "Double Gatefold LP". Is that a single LP in a double gatefold, or a double LP in a gatefold? WTF is a gatefold? I think I own a few, but I've never heard the term.

Item description says they're the same two bonus tracks as the CD/DVD. 11 on the album, two on the Deluxe, one on iTunes, probably have to import (or download, because imports are stupidly expensive, and probably not worth it if you're not a hardcore collector. I already bought the album twice.) the last track, probably from Japan, and WATV will be complete.

I am incredibly excited by the existence of even more material that I haven't heard yet. If it's anything like the Fiction bonuses, it will be amazing. I cannot for the life of me figure out how Below the Radiance got cut from the album; it's possibly the best DT song EVER.

The item description is "Double Gatefold LP". Is that a single LP in a double gatefold, or a double LP in a gatefold? WTF is a gatefold? I think I own a few, but I've never heard the term.

Item description says they're the same two bonus tracks as the CD/DVD. 11 on the album, two on the Deluxe, one on iTunes, probably have to import (or download, because imports are stupidly expensive, and probably not worth it if you're not a hardcore collector. I already bought the album twice.) the last track, probably from Japan, and WATV will be complete.

I am incredibly excited by the existence of even more material that I haven't heard yet. If it's anything like the Fiction bonuses, it will be amazing. I cannot for the life of me figure out how Below the Radiance got cut from the album; it's possibly the best DT song EVER.

Haha well gatefold is when you can open the LP 'case' itself. Usually the LP just comes inside the cardboard case with a paper with the lyrics. If it's gatefold, it'd usually have the lyrics printed in the cardboard itself. I'm asking because I was pretty sure it was only one LP, but it's weird that it's a gatefold. Then again, I've Enslaved's Runn and it's a gatefold with one LP :p. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

And yes, Below the Radiance is brilliant. I would've definitely included it in the main album. Oh well, at least we got to hear it :) .

Haha well gatefold is when you can open the LP 'case' itself. Usually the LP just comes inside the cardboard case with a paper with the lyrics. If it's gatefold, it'd usually have the lyrics printed in the cardboard itself. I'm asking because I was pretty sure it was only one LP, but it's weird that it's a gatefold. Then again, I've Enslaved's Runn and it's a gatefold with one LP :p. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Gotcha. The jewel of my collection is a 3LP set of Nine Inch Nails' The Fragile, and that's a gatefold. It's been out of print since '99, so it cost me $130 (US) on Amazon. Totally worth it.

You are filled with useful information (and probably loaded with implosive fire, too).

Gotcha. The jewel of my collection is a 3LP set of Nine Inch Nails' The Fragile, and that's a gatefold. It's been out of print since '99, so it cost me $130 (US) on Amazon. Totally worth it.

You are filled with useful information (and probably loaded with implosive fire, too).

Ah well I'm not really into NIN, but I actually haven't heard them much. They're not bad I guess. And thanks :), hehe implosive fire, I'm not sure I understand.

I still don't get it. I'm I being called a whore? :lol:

*In before plintus* :p

No, I believe it was something along the lines of "full of untapped, possibly devastating potential".

By the way, Mr. Grammar, he's also deserved a [sic] if that's the game we play, because I think it's pretty non-standard for he has. At least, that's what I was trying for with my impromptu Jack Bauer impression. ;)

its out now in sweden yes...however some unlucky basterds werent paying attention when filling in their adress when purchasing the pre-order at Bengans record store and will have to wait til it finds its way to its master...if it ever does. F-ck.