We Are The Void

Actually I really dislike her 'Silent Language' :Smug: . I've heard it twice and I like it more. Yesterday I thought it was a disappointment, now I like it. Who knows, maybe I'll end up loving it :p .

But some riffs do need some work, the band is relying too much on keyboards IMO.

Actually I really dislike her 'Silent Language' :Smug: . I've heard it twice and I like it more. Yesterday I thought it was a disappointment, now I like it. Who knows, maybe I'll end up loving it :p .

But some riffs do need some work, the band is relying too much on keyboards IMO.

Your idiocy is infinite :puke:

I mean - seriously, I have nothing to say besides of insults. I'll leave it at that, but dude... seriously.

Shut. The fuck. Up.

I have listened to the album a dozen times by now, I think it's one of the best so far... and I really like all of the songs, my favourites are "The Fatalist", "In My Absence" and "The Grandest Accusation" ... but as I mentioned before.. I love all the others... the album is full of "moments"... I somehow agree with that guy that says that DT is relying too much on the keyboards (it's true), but that doesn't mean that the riffs aren't brilliant or well executed or beautiful or whatever you may wanna call it.
As for the songs which will be played live... it's gonna be difficult for them to choose... but there's something I can add, I think "The Fatalist" would fit very well as an opener... What do you say guys? :)

Her Silent Language is super-soft, and super-sentimental, which could be upsetting to some. The redeeming moment of the song is the breakdown, which contains some of the most devious 5/8 drumming EVER. That and the 'solo' coming out of the choruses is one of the most beautiful guitar lines I've ever heard.

Her Silent Language is super-soft, and super-sentimental, which could be upsetting to some. The redeeming moment of the song is the breakdown, which contains some of the most devious 5/8 drumming EVER. That and the 'solo' coming out of the choruses is one of the most beautiful guitar lines I've ever heard.

hum, could u delevop ur comment about the drumming for us totally not musically talented people? =) I would love to be able to understand more of structure of the music

I thought the punkish beginning of 'I Am the Void' was pretty interesting.

I absolutely thought this myself! It really reminds me of Noodles from The Offspring.

As for HSL, at 1:51 the breakdown is in 5/8 (which is different than the 4/4 that the rest of the song is in). It's hard to count because it's so fast, but if you listen to it a few times you'll hear how the rhythm is kind of strange.

I made an earlier post about On Your Time here. Large parts of OYT are in 5/8, and reading that post while listening to on your time could help you learn the difference between the 5/8 and 4/4 sections. Once you can tap the rhythm in the intro to OYT, you'll notice that it's also in the breakdown of HSL (though faster).

Haha now that I think about it, it does sound very The Offspring-like. Ahhh I remember the days in which I was a T.O. 'fan'. I was listening to some songs the other day :) . They're not really good songs, but they do take me back.

Pre-Smash they're allright songs for the genre, I guess. Although for some reason I think "Genocide" was their pinnacle of creativity.

I thought everything up to Americana was genius. Starting with Conspiracy, every Offspring album has been about rewriting the same songs. For example: Vultures is just Dirty Magic. That's one band that has fallen almost entirely into replicating its own earlier work.

Before the On-topic Nazis get me: Ultimately, even if you're not a fan of the new material, you should be thankful that DT has not stagnated. If they've taken a cue from their earlier work, they've basically focused themselves in a Haven-like direction, but the actual material is completely unique for the band and the genre.

That said, I still think it's the best one yet.

I thought everything up to Americana was genius. Starting with Conspiracy, every Offspring album has been about rewriting the same songs. For example: Vultures is just Dirty Magic. That's one band that has fallen almost entirely into replicating its own earlier work.

Before the On-topic Nazis get me: Ultimately, even if you're not a fan of the new material, you should be thankful that DT has not stagnated. If they've taken a cue from their earlier work, they've basically focused themselves in a Haven-like direction, but the actual material is completely unique for the band and the genre.

That said, I still think it's the best one yet.

Yeah Conspiracy is very mediocre, basically it's the same as everything before. It does take me back, though ;) . Compared to The Offspring, D.T. is much better. Oh wait, D.T. is better than 95% of all bands out there :p .

I'll comment more on the album when I have it in my hands and have listened to it with good quality.

from MetalLife ...

Absolute brutality intelligently delivered directly into your head. This is by far, Dark Tranquillity's best release yet. Each track has been well thought out and each instrument accents the other combining into masterpieces of metal. The writing on this release far surpasses anything the band has done in the past.
This CD expands upon what the band accomplished on "Friction" and adds more emotion and style. This time around, the band utilizes their signature catchy rhythms to successfully portray the deep lyrical content of each song. Tracks like "The Fatalist" and "Iridium" showcase the band's growth and desire to play music, metal music mind you, but actual, structured, music. Too many bands in their vein of sound try too hard to be "heavy" or "loud", while Dark Tranquillity focuses on playing good, thought provoking metal.

Dark Tranquillity had an album called "Friction", when did that drop?:p

Niklas, you're the board dweller and news bringer, why did you not inform of us this?!

I saw DT on the 20th in Royal Oak. I was surprised at the turnout (largely for the other two bands, but the exposure for DT was great). The band was amazing. The momentary lull, with the quiet piano tones, before Misery's Crown is almost heartbreaking. It adds so much strength to the soaring synths in the intro/chorus section.

I spent the entire show one row behind the barricade. I'd have been closer, but there is a strange creature at concerts: the barricade hugger. A bizarre waste of life that doesn't appear to know any of the bands or songs, and doesn't want to move to the music, but just wants to stand between the fans and the band. Nonetheless, I felt that I made my presence known to the band. I got a smile from Martin H. while he was soloing right in front of me, and Mikael and I screamed a few songs to each other. It's hard to describe the feeling being that close to a band that I love so much and see so rarely without sounding homoerotic, but experience is one that I will never forget. It's also hard to describe a live DT set and do it any justice.

I realize this thread is about WATV, and that is what I'm going to talk about.

After DT, Devil Wears Prada came on. I noticed that DWP isn't necessarily a bad band. They have some really great moments in their music. The thing that sucks is that they build these REALLY long stretches of bland, melody-free grinding into their music before they finally get around to injecting some music. 60-75% of DWP's set was wasted pit-fodder. In contrast, a song like Misery's Crown is just as mosh-able, but the strength of the composition really shines through, even at ear-shattering volumes.

I think that the sophistication, beauty and warmth of DT may hold them back from a certain aspect of the metal(core) audience. What makes this band so amazing to me is that they're brutal and beautiful (brutifal?) all at once. Obviously, that's kind of the point of melodic death metal. I think that everything about being human, particularly male, is embodied in their music. There exists in all of metal that agressive male energy, but DT has long admitted our oft-hidden fear, sensitivity, and creative energy. Not that any music is necessarily gender-specific, but I think this balance is a big part of why I love DT.

The kids in DWP may crank out some awesome music one day (though their choice of genre leaves me less than hopeful). The thing I noticed, in contrast to the 20-year vets in DT, is that the songwriting has awful pacing. One bland section blends into another bland section, with no particular purpose for connecting one with the other. In another thread, I made my feelings about DT's songwriting clear: I think they come together as a team, without ego, to use the appropriate instruments to make the point and to blend complimentary and contrasting sections together meaningfully. This is a level of quality that cannot be ignored.

I said all of that to say this: I realize that some people are not particularly keen on the new material. Your disappointment is, at best, only in contrast to other DT albums. If you really consider the level of craftsmanship in WATV, you'll realize that all of the albums that you loved on first listen still don't hold a candle to DT. Sometimes the magic is a little bit hidden. I guarantee you will grow to love the album. I loved it to begin with, but I have fallen into it more deeply in the 100+ times I have listened to it.

I downloaded the album the day that it leaked, a privilege that I intend to justify. I have been poring over the album in shit sound quality for the last month, trying to crack it's secrets for a small release-day surprise. I have 4,040 words of technical analysis of WATV, starting with the album, and then sifting through each song on its own. I will be posting this material over the period of several weeks, with the intent of encouraging discussion of the material on technical elements (in the most human terms we can manage) and stylistic elements (what the untrained ear hears when listens critically). I'm holding off for a few days out of respect for those who are waiting for the official release.

I understand why a small handful aren't digging the album, and why a few more are simply confused by the presentation. I hope that we'll be able to listen through and talk about the album all together. I promise you this: if you don't already love the album, you have no idea what's inside of it. This is not pop music; the art not only entertains and expresses, but challenges the listener.

For the rest of you, who got the album from the second you heard it, you are my target audience. Let's all look at the deeper magic of the album!

(I also have a separate lyrics-related project that I'm working on, but that got super-confusing when I tried to tackle it simultaneously with the technical analysis. The lyrical themes on this album, as well as the two grand themes/motifs are far too large, and spread across so many songs on the album that I need official lyrics and a lot of time to dig into them. More on this later.)

@stizzle: That's an impressive amount of work, we can't thank you enough for wanting to share it with us. For the sake of your mental health I suggest you also post it on a personal blog or other site with more hits than this forum. :worship:

Thanks for the concern, but I wrote it for here. I expect with the release there will be enough people here (even if it's just regulars and fans) to get a conversation going. At the very least, UM archives everything, so the thread will be out there for reference as years pass and new fans find the band.

It wasn't a bad job either (other than the horrible quality of the leak). It was incredibly instructive listening for all of the little things that they did on WATV. The only hard part was dwelling on the lyrical themes, which sometimes makes life seem very pointless.