We Are The Void

Well, compared to the blood and thunder of songs like The New Build or Empty Me, these songs are pretty down-tempo. If you happen to be a fan of DT's faster and heavier work, it's totally understandable. Maybe he's looking for something faster, or simply straight-up angry, like Nothing to No One.

Well, compared to the blood and thunder of songs like The New Build or Empty Me, these songs are pretty down-tempo. If you happen to be a fan of DT's faster and heavier work, it's totally understandable. Maybe he's looking for something faster, or simply straight-up angry, like Nothing to No One.
couldn't have said it better myself , or perhaps like amon amarth with twilight of the thundergod on first listen seemed a step down from with oden on our side but grew to love it.could be the same with dark tranquillity and the album after fiction which is superb.

SOURCE: http://www.smnnews.com/2010/01/17/dark-tranquility-we-are-the-void/

Dark Tranquillity – We Are The Void
Sunday, January 17, 2010

Melodic death metal pioneers DARK TRANQUILLITY are back with their ninth studio album, We Are The Void, celebrating the band’s 20th anniversary. I have only been a casual fan of DARK TRANQUILLITY. Nothing they have done has ever truly grabbed me, but the band does possess some talent for what they do.

Part of the original Gothenburg scene, DARK TRANQUILLITY has a heavier sound and more of a black-metal influence than fellow countrymen IN FLAMES. On We Are The Void, the Swedish sextet create moody slabs of emotion with an abundance of heavy keyboard arrangements to go along with their intricate riffs. The death growls of Mikael Stanne are standard fare from a band of this genre, but they add character to the bands sound. The technical aspect of their music is more challenging than some of their peers, thus making DARK TRANQUILLITY a standout in this style of metal. DARK TRANQUILLITY has a formula that they’ve only slightly modified a couple of times, but basically has remained the same for their 20 year-span.

Opener “Shadow In Our Blood,” displays some tight riffing and some good leads from guitarists Niklas Sundin and Martin Henriksson. Breaking into his clean vocals on “The Grandest Accusation,” Stanne explores the moody side of the band, mixing it up with his trade mark harsh growl and different tempo changes. “Her Silent Language” sounds a little too close to an In Flames song in some parts. Haunting, almost goth-like closer “Iridium,” is layered with huge sounding tremolo guitar riffs and prominent keyboard accompaniment. It moves along at a melancholic-pace, but a good closer, and it’s the longest song on the album at six-plus minutes.

We Are The Void continues the consistent sound of DARK TRANQUILLITY and will keep them in the forefront of the melodic death metal genre. They aren’t exploring any new boundaries, but the band stays true to the Gothenburg style and the formula of creating good Swedish melodic death metal, and that’s all you can ask for in a DARK TRANQUILLITY album.

I also like at point of Ignition more than Dream Oblivion.

does anyone here also think that it is also the track in the video showing Martin B. opening the bottle ?

I like how 50% of the review is about the band, and not the album. I also like how it conveniently mentions the fact that this album contains elements that the band has been using for the last 20 years. You know, in case we forgot what they sounded like.

Seriously, why do people even write reviews anymore? Anyone who's curious whether or not to buy something is going to Youtube the singles, and if they like it torrent it. Whether or not they buy is based on a set of criteria that does not include "seeking opinions from someone who thought writing album reviews was a good career choice."

That review, like most, is too vague to be useful to anyone who is not already familiar with the artist, and especially useless to those that are. I want to hear how this album compares and differs to an established body of work. That's a job to argue out in the forums, not to be handed down from someone who confesses to not being a fan. I guess it's just a mildly useful preview until the album comes out.

Seriously, why do people even write reviews anymore? Anyone who's curious whether or not to buy something is going to Youtube the singles, and if they like it torrent it. Whether or not they buy is based on a set of criteria that does not include "seeking opinions from someone who thought writing album reviews was a good career choice."

It must work like this: some of the people who have heard an album and love/loathe it are going to google for reviews of it in order to read the ones that present a different opinion from their own and then 'sperg for hours in the comments section about how they'll hunt down the reviewer's family to "educate" them.

I dont post on here much, usually then DT puts out a new album. I consider DT my 2nd fav metal band (behind Hypocrisy). Usually, this forum has nothing but useless posts, so i only post when it matters:

The album has an even more varied sound than Fiction. However, at first listen, i was like "wtf is this?" I dont really like the production, but thats just me (i think studio fredman suits the band much better in terms of sonic clarity). My biggest problem with the sound is the snare sounds really weak. Anders usually has an awesome snare sound and its just not working on this album.

however, after a few listens, it starts to grow on you. Im still not a fan of drop-tuning much, but im starting to get used to the DT sound with it.

I still havent listened to it enough to find highpoints, but i can tell you i still dont like Shadow In our Blood or Dream Oblivion.

lol, at this point almost everyone in the world, has heard the album but me :mad: .
I know it's the journalists and bla bla and stuff, I just think it's unfair.

I like how 50% of the review is about the band, and not the album. I also like how it conveniently mentions the fact that this album contains elements that the band has been using for the last 20 years. You know, in case we forgot what they sounded like.

That review, like most, is too vague to be useful to anyone who is not already familiar with the artist, and especially useless to those that are. I want to hear how this album compares and differs to an established body of work. That's a job to argue out in the forums, not to be handed down from someone who confesses to not being a fan. I guess it's just a mildly useful preview until the album comes out.

I used to write reviews for a CRn web-site, but after a while I got into a point of stagnation. At first I was very passionate about writing reviews (writing two or three a week!), but after a while, with so much work and stuff, I started getting bored (and angry at my web-master). The problem with a review is that it's one's personal opinion on an album, and since every person is a world with different opinions and musical preferences, it seems somewhat purposeless.

And even more, nowadays you can just download the album and see if you like it or not. It'll be uploaded on You Tube and torrent within seconds after it's released, or before.

In the end I felt that writing reviews was senseless, since I now think that every person should listen to an album first, and then have his/her own opinion on it.

lol, at this point almost everyone in the world, has heard the album but me :mad: .
I know it's the journalists and bla bla and stuff, I just think it's unfair.

Why do you say everyone? I haven't heard it :( .