Were Opeth your first extreme metal band?

Were Opeth your first extreme metal band?

• Yes, one of the very first extreme metal bands i ever enjoyed listening to!

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • They were there in the first months of my extreme music!

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Had been listening to extreme metal for about a year or two b4 opeth!

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • I've been extreme since i can remember!!

Votes: 14 32.6%

• Total voters

YaYo

whendaydescends.com
May 6, 2001
Ive heard that for a lot of people, Opeth is their first experience with death metal vocals. So now its time to test that theory!

I had heard extreme metal on the radio b4 and liked it, but never liked it enough to buy it..
and then one day i decided to listen to "3 Hours Of Power" on the radio and jot down the names of bands i liked the sound of... Opeth was the only name i wrote down... and i immediately downloaded an mp3, loved it, and so bought the albums, therefore Opeth were the first band with death metal vocals that i ever liked!

Hmmmmm I discovered Opeth a bit more then a year ago.
I was listening to CoF, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, Samael, Satyricon... so i guess i had quite a bit of extreme metal in me.
But i think they were one of the 1st band with death metal vocals i began listening to, along with Deicide.

My first extreme band was Satyricon. I really didn't like them, but the more I listened I really started to enjoy their music. The song that made me a fan was "Mother North". After hearing that I explored the world of black metal before finding Opeth and many other bands I really like today that aren't black metal.

The first `extreme' stuff I heard were actually 2 songs by CoB and In Flames (Black Widow and Embody the Invisible). My brother taped them off the radio one night (could have been off 3 hours too, YaYoGakk :D )...so the next morning when I wake up he's like `Tanya! I taped these really cool songs last night off the radio. You gotta listen to em!'
So I listened. And I liked! That was pretty much all I heard for a while. Then months later I downloaded Face of Melinda and the rest is history.

Just out of interest...how many people here owe an older brother or sister big time for getting them into metal? :D Cause I do!

how many people here owe an older brother or sister big time for getting them into metal?
My older sister was mad on TooL, so i have a lot to thank for that. But other than that my sister is into the nu-metal types (Papa roach, linkin park, etc).. so no help there!!!!

i think we have to put it into context. :)
ten years ago, metal was a bit different.

Death - Leprosy &
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick
shocked the shit out of me when i was a kid :lol:

Originally posted by nogs00
i think we have to put it into context. :)
ten years ago, metal was a bit different.

Death - Leprosy &
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick
shocked the shit out of me when i was a kid :lol:

Ya, I'm in the same boat as you, I got these 3 when I was 12 back in '92
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Cannibal Corpse - Butchered at Birth
Bolt Thrower - War Master

Oooohhh... good one.

Umm... depends what qualifies as "extreme". I doubt it, cause my listening progression from Metallica and White Zombie was to Slayer and Fear Factory... who probably have some of what would qualify as "death vocals". A listened to them a lot for awhile there, was just starting to listen to some more straight-up death (which never really interested me) then made the next jump via Hypocrisy's self-titled and Edge of Sanity's Crimson, I think... then I picked up some In Flames shortly after that. HOWEVER... Hmmm... I think I actually might have gotten Crimson after MAYH, in which case, Opeth might actually have been my first "extreme" band, again, depending.

man, how could i forget my first sepultura!!

when i look back, i have to laugh. i thought
schizophrenia was the shit!! Troops of Doom
landed a big impact when i was young. heheh

first extreme metal for me was Dissection - The Somberlain.... my guitar-teacher had for some reason gotten hold of the tabs for 2 of the small accoustic pieces on the album (didn't know at all what dissection sounded at back then...didn't even know that it was extreme metal). Later on I felt like buying something really heavy (I only listenedto stuff like Metallica before), so I went to the death/black/extreme-shelf at my local cd-store... when I was looking through the cd's, imagine my surprise when I found an album that had songs I could play =)

so I bought it without listening to it

at first I didn't like it that much (except the accoustics of course), but after a while that song Black Horizons got stuck in my mind...and it's been downhill from there :D

Hahaha! Yes, like the rest of us. Working! :p

I thank my brother for his guidance to metal. Where I grew up, it was either metal or funk. That's it. My brother had a tiny box of a room, and the walls were lined with every Iron Maiden poster made. There was a wall mount of tapes and I remember thinking OH SHIT! These are ALL Iron Maiden tapes??? He was insane over them. I think I liked how creepy Eddy looked. :D So I took the metal path. Thank you BROTHER!

Opeth was my first taste of extreme metal. Feel good to get it right the first time. :cool:

Lynn

Enough of this, you will leave me now."

I remember hearing Satyricon's 'The Shadowthrone' and being blown away back in '94 or '95. Also Cradle of Filth's 'Vempire' in '94 as well.

From there I got into more gothic/doom type acts like Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride etc. and expanded until here I am.