Which song(s) got you into Opeth and when?

Around 2005 my band was looking for a new vocalist, we auditioned this guy who brought Still Life into the rehearsal studio, he sung a few songs with the clean and growls, he had an amazing voice but I wasn't impressed with the music he chose to show off his voice with (the fool I was!!), two years later I decided to check them out, and I downloaded Harvest, Drapery Falls, Bleak, Windowpane, Benighted and a few other songs, and I was just...mesmerized by what I was hearing. A week later I was off on a plane across the country to Perth, and I picked up Still Life, Damnation and Blackwater Park. Within three months I had the entire collection.

It was around June-July 07 that I got into them.

This year! Too bad, I know...but it's better to late, then never!!!
I had a chat with one guy who told me about that band that he is listening only that band. Now I understand why...Opeth is like new style of music to me...like you know-Metal, Classic, Symphony, Jazz and Opeth =)
First song was Burden!!!
I liked the hole thing in Opeth music- Awsome Death/Prog, lyrics are good, even he growl them...they are not about meat or blood. It's always not boring to listen...some times its heavy and sometimes it's beatifull and spiritual!
Mikael also very nice person. Wright awsome stuff, family guy, very low growl and beautifull singin voice, true gentelman...you could see that in interviews.
I love walking in the forests and listening to that band!
That band chaged me...
Love Opeth!!!
Sorry for a bad english!

My brother had given me his copy of Morningrise. During my 8th grade field trip, I was in a bus on my was to Baltimore, and I heard it for the first time.

From then on, I was addicted. I'm now a senior in high school and Opeth still dominates my playlists.

I remember it was in 1998. I was studying at the University in Valparaiso and was into bands in the vein of The Haunted, At the Gates, classic death & thrash metal. I was a bit disappointed by the current "metal" trend at that time, infested by nu-metal. Then a friend of mine introduced me to Opeth's MAYH, and it blew my head away! It was something completely new and fresh: a unique blend of extremely heavy parts, acoustic and mellow ones. Definitely it was one of my "be-all and end-alls" in my music life.

June 2006, A Fair Judgement. No particular album, I jumped right in and have listened to each album at least 300 times since then.

The Moor, Somewhere during 2006. That wasnt the first song I've heard by Opeth but thats the one who got me into Opeth.

My father had bought Blackwater Park for me in 2004 or something. None of us knew anything about the band, so we listened to the record. At first I was like. "Holy shit this is awesome!!!!" Then the growling started. (This was The Leper Affinity) And I was like "Man, that singing really destroys the song."
Then a few years later, after I'd gotten into more metal, I listened to it again, and I was blown away. I listened to Blackwater Park all the time for about a year, then bought Watershed when it came out.

'When'. MAYH was my first album, just bought it to see what all the fuss was about, this was like, late last year... :D

AWESOME!!

i remember it like it was yesterday. (im a fairly new opeth fan, just for the record. been one for around 2 years now.)

first song i heard was TGC. i wasnt too impressed, so i gave up listening to them. well about a week later i was like "ah what the hell, im sure i passed up something good." i searched around on limewire and dug up Harvest, Black Rose Immortal, and Demon of the fall. all three blew me away. before i knew it i bought Watershed (which was my first actual entire Opeth album) and Then Still Life, BWP, etc. and the rest is history.

First post here guys.

Well, I first heard of them in 2006 and sampled some of their stuff, but it wasnt until I saw them live at Prog Nation that I fell for them. I believe the track that really got me was "Heir Apparent."

It must have been about 3 years ago when I was going through a hard break up and I was a total mess, I couldn't get my self together, I couldn't think straight. It was like my life had ended and I had been swalloed up by the dark abyss. Somewhere along the way, I lost my self in all the tears I shed, all the idiotic mellow love songs that are full of emotions, and all the pain off the loss, nothing and noone could make it go away and I had to bare it alone cause noone understood me..

One day I randomly stumbled upon Blackwater Park and Bleak (I don't remember how though). My sadness became hate while I brain washed my self clear from all of my stupid love emotions I had still lingering in me and I got over him soon enough. In those songs I found the relief I seeked all that time. I grew to love Opeth and hate that person.

After I found more of "The Opeth Drug" I sat and cleared my mind and heart from everything I felt. Hate, hate, hate and more hate to come. Eventually I found my peace of mind in the next months that followed.
I may not face relationships the same way, even now, but at least that made me stronger. Opeth for ever.

Anger and Hate > Love
Cheers \m/

MoonlightOrchid

It was The Grand Conjuration, a couple of months before, when I found out they were coming to my country for a gig. I had first listened to Opeth about 4 years ago, but I never really managed to get into them back then. It must have been a song that didn't draw my attention, I suppose. Anyhow, now that I learned what their style is like, I really started looking up to them. Can't wait to see them live.

Must have been in the winter of 96/97 because i know MAYH had not come out yet and i had never heard of an MP3. I downloaded about a 45 second .wav file of To Bid You Farewell and that was all i was able to find of them for a few months. I was so intrigued by the one quick clip i had heard i finally tracked down the records at this tiny record store with a small section of underground metal cd's. I was so psyched :headbang: Been listening to them ever since.

It must have been about 3 years ago when I was going through a hard break up and I was a total mess, I couldn't get my self together, I couldn't think straight. It was like my life had ended and I had been swalloed up by the dark abyss. Somewhere along the way, I lost my self in all the tears I shed, all the idiotic mellow love songs that are full of emotions, and all the pain off the loss, nothing and noone could make it go away and I had to bare it alone cause noone understood me..

One day I randomly stumbled upon Blackwater Park and Bleak (I don't remember how though). My sadness became hate while I brain washed my self clear from all of my stupid love emotions I had still lingering in me and I got over him soon enough. In those songs I found the relief I seeked all that time. I grew to love Opeth and hate that person.

After I found more of "The Opeth Drug" I sat and cleared my mind and heart from everything I felt. Hate, hate, hate and more hate to come. Eventually I found my peace of mind in the next months that followed.
I may not face relationships the same way, even now, but at least that made me stronger. Opeth for ever.

Anger and Hate > Love
Cheers m/

MoonlightOrchid
I had the very same experience two years back !! but back then i was already into Opeth soooo much, and Bleak was one of the songs that spoke to me in a personal level. But Opeth never been the symbol of Hate to me by no means. I would pick up Bloodbath songs instead :p ah yeah.. Hate seems the only way sometimes, one of the things that helped me was slayer : Hate heals you should try it sometimes (even tho i'm not a slayer fan).