What are you learning?

Not my kind of song. I go all out when I play arpeggios :p.

I've been thinking of learning chopin's fantasy impromptu ever since I saw a 14yr old play it, and even more so after I saw a 7yr old chinese kid play it.....but it would probably take ages :(.

http://www.gressus.se/chopin/midi/midi/fantimpr.mid

I have the music for that one, I really wanna learn it on guitar... I think Bumblefoot has actually done a version of it on guitar actually...

that's probably just cuz you're listening to a stupid recording of it on youtube. i'm sure if you were in the actual audience, the acoustics would be much better in that room. you can't rely on crappy recordings for good tone.

Meh, I've heard bootlegs that had worse quality than that and sounded better. It's just the natural tone of that instrument that turns me off.

I have a really cool piano version that's sped up though but originally played that way. Nice tone too.

I'll probably give it a go after I've done a fair bit of the hanon stuff.... just so I'm well conditioned for it. I've been playing for over 7 years now so I think I probably could do it, but my sight reading sucks ass so it would take longer than most people who can read well. And I could always get tips off one of my sisters friends who played it a few years ago while she was drunk and it was still better than what I could do. Plus she is younger so it made my feel like such a noob :lol:.

Just saw Allan Holdsworth in concert last Thursday... MINDBLOWING stuff. His solos were 100% clean... I've never heard a guitar playing so precise and accurate. He made Yngwie sound like sloppy shit (and I'm a huge fan of Yngwie). His phrasing hit me like I didn't see it coming... it literally knocked me back and made my jaw drop in amazement. His chord progressions... mind boggelingly complex, the finger stretches and hybrid picking looked damn near impossible. At times it didn't even sound like a guitar, it sounded out of this world. And I met him briefly after the concert and he seemed like a completely average, quiet British old man (he's in his 60s now, I think).

I won't dare approach his stuff for at least another 10-20 years.

Right now I'm still working on Bed of Razors... trying to get the solo down as precise as I can, and then I got to get up to speed... I'm playing it all at 120 BPM now. And I'm working on a few other songs for my band... so I've been very busy with guitar lately.

Just saw Allan Holdsworth in concert last Thursday... MINDBLOWING stuff. His solos were 100% clean... I've never heard a guitar playing so precise and accurate. He made Yngwie sound like sloppy shit (and I'm a huge fan of Yngwie). His phrasing hit me like I didn't see it coming... it literally knocked me back and made my jaw drop in amazement. His chord progressions... mind boggelingly complex, the finger stretches and hybrid picking looked damn near impossible. At times it didn't even sound like a guitar, it sounded out of this world. And I met him briefly after the concert and he seemed like a completely average, quiet British old man (he's in his 60s now, I think).

Sounds great! I'll be interested to hear what his playing on the new Planet X album is like...

I'm learning how to play Of Sins And Solos.

I have a sawed off 12 gauge shotgun, ready to blow my brains out this solo is so hard.

I'm learning how to play Of Sins And Solos.

I have a sawed off 12 gauge shotgun, ready to blow my brains out this solo is so hard.
I find it really hard when my rig combines its powers in an effort to pull me down. The tap on the 15-16 (or thereabouts) on the low E just sounds like a big pile of crap no matter how well I play it. The rest of that tapping part isnt so bad, but that fast part leading out of the first solo is too nuts for me.

I can play Accolade II solo with 75% speed without any problems. Faster than that it all goes messy.

I find it really hard when my rig combines its powers in an effort to pull me down. The tap on the 15-16 (or thereabouts) on the low E just sounds like a big pile of crap no matter how well I play it. The rest of that tapping part isnt so bad, but that fast part leading out of the first solo is too nuts for me.
Well my entire rig's been in the shop for the past many months, and I've been practicing out of my Roland Micro-Cube the entire time, so I'm not really having a power struggle with myself too much. The only problem I'm having with it is the speed.

Random shit here and there. I don't have the time to learn full songs. Arpeggios From Hell and a few other Malmsteen themes. Hell, I don't even have an amp to play through since we transformed the music room into my daughter's room to clear her out of the nursery last summer. But, that's ok. One day I will have my own music shack. I just hope I don't forget how to play before then...

Your daugher can't live in a music room? Maybe it would give her some insentive to pick up the guitar and kick all our asses at it.

Right now, I feel like my skills are slipping, literally. My pick is somehow slipping more frequently than it should. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to stop it?

I have tried them before, it doesn't work. It doesn't slip, but it just ends up not feeling right. I guess I just need to blend into the pic.