What are you learning?

the only Trivium thing I have learned is the Drowned And Torn Asunder solo, cuz it was in guitar world and I was bored

I've learnt a few Trivium riffs/solos here and there. They're on that Jan 2006 Young Guitar DVD so I've got the tabs in that mag to look at, that's what inspired me to record the Decleration riff and Rain.

They're not a bad band at all imo.

Yeah, I do not get why they get so much shit. They are not fucking copying Metallica, and if they were, they arent anymore. I saw Trivium live a couple weeks ago, Matt actually sings, he does not do the hetfield grunts anymore.

I'm learning the Hanon exercises for piano, and they have made a HUGE difference so far. My finger strength is quickly becoming good enough for me to tackle the hard songs.

are those excersizes good for beginners, would you say? cuz i was thinking about picking up the Hanon book at the music store, but my fingers are already pretty fast on piano. i just have to work on my sight reading and playing both treble and bass at the same time. would you recommend it for that as well?

I'm learning how to play Holy Diver.

Jump, jump, jump on the tiger! You can see his stripes but you know he's clean. Oh don't you see what i mean?

No Ronnie. Not really. What are you going on about?

He may be an ace singer, but some of lyrics are bit dodgy.

are those excersizes good for beginners, would you say? cuz i was thinking about picking up the Hanon book at the music store, but my fingers are already pretty fast on piano. i just have to work on my sight reading and playing both treble and bass at the same time. would you recommend it for that as well?
I'm actually really poor at sight reading myself, so I really shouldn't give any tips on that.... but I will :p. From what I can see, the key to sight reading well is keeping your eyes on the music rather than they keys. I have always read a bit of music and then looked at the keys until I got it, and since i've always done it that way I presume its bad. Hanon is good for this because you have a whole page of music where the same bar is repeated over and over, but just a note up each time. This allows you to focus on looking at the notes and becoming used to doing so. Another good thing about it is that you play the left and right hands in sync, so they end up getting the same treatment so that your left hand doesnt end up being much weaker than the right. Overall it does take a little while to get used to some of the patterns, but you just progress through at your own pace and even if you only get 1 or 2 of the exercises thats ok because it seems like the book expects that (it says to master the first 2, then master the first 5 etc, before moving on). So thats the first section (out of 3). And for general strength and conditioning that's all you really need I guess. I'm only up to about 10/20 of the first section and my fingers are feeling better than ever. The next section moves on to scales, arpeggios etc, and the 3rd has trills and some other pretty crazy stuff.

I hope that wasn't too much rambling.... my brain is fried from lack of sleep :s. Oh yeh the question, lol, I forgot to answer it. Its not for absolute beginners, but if you can do scales in both hands at around 60-108 bpm without screwing up too much then go for it. Its good if you're almost there because it irons out heaps of problems. But yeh, u dont get to scales until the 2nd section anyway.

You can check it out here. I wasn't too bothered printing it out so I just bought it. http://www.imslp.org/wiki/The_Virtuoso_Pianist_%28Hanon,_Charles-Louis)

wow, thanks so much for that lengthy reply :) i really appreciate it. and that link you posted is awesome, i think i'll just print out those pages cuz its just more convenient. and yes, i can play scales around 80-100 bpm so i should be ready for these excersizes. i noticed that excersize one starts out in the bass cleff and then moves up to the treble cleff. that's good cuz i think if you focus your mind enough you can look at the notes in between the cleff as the alto cleff (which it is anyway) and get better at sight reading for alto cleff too. although i know very few piano pieces are written in alto, its just something that's good to know.

by the way, if you're interested in arpeggios, i think you should look at Bach's prelude. it's a great sounding piece and a great excersize for arpeggios and theory study.

wow, thanks so much for that lengthy reply :) i really appreciate it. and that link you posted is awesome, i think i'll just print out those pages cuz its just more convenient. and yes, i can play scales around 80-100 bpm so i should be ready for these excersizes. i noticed that excersize one starts out in the bass cleff and then moves up to the treble cleff. that's good cuz i think if you focus your mind enough you can look at the notes in between the cleff as the alto cleff (which it is anyway) and get better at sight reading for alto cleff too. although i know very few piano pieces are written in alto, its just something that's good to know.

by the way, if you're interested in arpeggios, i think you should look at Bach's prelude. it's a great sounding piece and a great excersize for arpeggios and theory study.
I'm pretty sure Bach has way more than 1 prelude. All up his songs total well over 1000 but the exact number I have no clue on. Arpeggios are very close to my heart :p. I tried the intro of Smoke and Mirrors a while ago, but i'm afraid Pinella is heaps better than me atm, lol. I'm close to nailing it though :).

I thought that sounded awful tbh. Way too tinny and just an annoying tone. I know someone who can play the whole first movement and the third but not full speed.

I've got a cool guitar arrangement of the 3rd but it'd take a lot of practising.

I'm pretty sure Bach has way more than 1 prelude. All up his songs total well over 1000 but the exact number I have no clue on. Arpeggios are very close to my heart :p. I tried the intro of Smoke and Mirrors a while ago, but i'm afraid Pinella is heaps better than me atm, lol. I'm close to nailing it though :).

haha...aww man, i'm sorry. i too hardly get any sleep so i write like a retard most times :p yes of course bach has more than one prelude. well, the sheet music for the one i'm trying to learn just has the title Prelude 1 C Major. i don't know if that's any help to you but maybe you've already learned it. i really love the sound of arpeggios also, i think they can make beautiful music when arranged in the right way. anyway, good luck with the smoke and mirrors song. that's a symphony x song right? it sounds familiar, but i cant remember right now. i'm tired. heh.

edit: i found the prelude for you! it's from the well tempered clavier, one of bach's most well known pieces. here's the link http://www.music-scores.com/instrum...alRows_composer=45&instrument=Piano&name=Bach

I thought that sounded awful tbh. Way too tinny and just an annoying tone. I know someone who can play the whole first movement and the third but not full speed.

I've got a cool guitar arrangement of the 3rd but it'd take a lot of practising.

that's probably just cuz you're listening to a stupid recording of it on youtube. i'm sure if you were in the actual audience, the acoustics would be much better in that room. you can't rely on crappy recordings for good tone.

haha...aww man, i'm sorry. i too hardly get any sleep so i write like a retard most times :p yes of course bach has more than one prelude. well, the sheet music for the one i'm trying to learn just has the title Prelude 1 C Major. i don't know if that's any help to you but maybe you've already learned it. i really love the sound of arpeggios also, i think they can make beautiful music when arranged in the right way. anyway, good luck with the smoke and mirrors song. that's a symphony x song right? it sounds familiar, but i cant remember right now. i'm tired. heh.

edit: i found the prelude for you! it's from the well tempered clavier, one of bach's most well known pieces. here's the link http://www.music-scores.com/instrum...alRows_composer=45&instrument=Piano&name=Bach
Not my kind of song. I go all out when I play arpeggios :p.

I've been thinking of learning chopin's fantasy impromptu ever since I saw a 14yr old play it, and even more so after I saw a 7yr old chinese kid play it.....but it would probably take ages :(.

http://www.gressus.se/chopin/midi/midi/fantimpr.mid

yeah usually when you see young kids playing pieces like that it means they've already been playing for a few years. i envy them. but oh well, better now than never. that's a very beautiful piece you've chosen but it seems pretty difficult in the beginning and towards the end.... maybe you should warm up to that...like start with something easier...maybe chopin's ballad number1...or even the entertainer? lol i can't think of many easy chopin pieces, not that i've looked at many. but anyway, good luck (and sorry i just realized i'm advising you and i don't even know your skill level, haha).