What are you learning?

i don't really see the point of alternative picking, it just seems like the lame side kick to the guitar crime fighting duo of alt/econ.

I know it works for most things, but then so does econ. There is a difference in tone, but it's quite minor (imo). Plus if you alt pick a certain riff, it's likely that half of the riff will be picked econ due to symmetry in the string use.
what are your views?

I think that's the major diconnect here......the difference in tone is pretty big to my ears, but more importantly the articulation is WAY different. I think both alternate picking and economy picking are both very important things to have at your disposal. Everytime I learn a new lick I'll practice it with both approaches. Even if it's something that should normally be swept (smoke and mirrors intro for example), I'll learn to play it alt. picked. Of course I can't alt. pick it as fast as I can sweep it, but that's besides the point. To me, the difference between economy picking and alternate picking is almost as significant as the distance between alternate picking and hammers/pulls. Try (for example) to play some Steve Morse lines with economy picking and see if you can nail the same accents and articulate the same way he does. You can either try for yourself or just save some time and take my word on this one....it wont happen. On the other hand, try to tackle a Gambale solo with alt. picking. Even if you could alternate pick it up to speed, there's no way you could ever get the same fluid sound he does.

Of course, there's nothing wrong in choosing to economy pick 100% of the time in your own playing if you think that's what will serve you best. Just make sure you're making a decision based on sound rather than what's easiest. I definitely encourage you at least explore the subject though, it certainly couldn't hurt. Then again, you could end up becoming a little over-obsessive about it like some folks would say I am:loco:

I just find that its good for discipline, and if you aren't sure what to do/practice. Since I've already done many years of piano lessons I pretty much know what I should be doing, and the importance of fingering/posture etc.... so I figure as long as I have the motivation to stick in the hard yards then I should be ok. But I'm in a keys phase atm so guitar is on hold :).

I learnt piano as a young 'un, and I tried recently to go back to it, but I'm just too focussed on guitar atm, Classical and Metal guitar are so different, that I'm essentially working on two instruments now anyway, piano as well was just too much...

yea, i've practically put every other instrument on hold for the time being: keys, bass, voice (singing and growiling), and even my trusty old harmonica to focus more on guitar.

I manage to fit in singing when i'm listening to music, so i don't have to put that on hold!

Did you get one of the sheets that he gave out?

You bet!!! It currently resides in the middle of my music stand... :D

you lucky bastard :lol:
How was it?

Yes, it was amazing!!! My respect for the man as a player has increased immensely, as well as my respect for him as a person, he's such a funny and friendly guy, very down to earth. I got a couple of posters, ticket etc. autographed, so I was pretty cheerin'!

Is it the one where he's written everything out in Cmin and some in Amin?

I don't know if he's showing the same stuff at each clinic but for the one I have sheets for it's mostly in C, which is rare for Gilberto.

I performed Overture 1928 last night to my entire school. I nailed based on what I heard, but I listened to it later, and I missed a few notes. But oh well. Damn, I do not know how Petrucci plays like that in front of a crowd.
In other words, in a bit im gonna start practicing Moto Perpetuo!