What are you learning?

Scarified is all about the economy picking. I've got it down at 80% speed. it's going to take a long time to get the rest. I'm not going to touch the solo though. Paul Gilbert is a silly silly man. Not as silly as Mr Romeo, but nevertheless silly.

Actually, there's no economy picking in Scarified.

(Unless you want to refer to the "Second Heat" version during the ascending chromatic bassline before the J.C Bach section where Paul and Bruce both play a sweep thing)

How does he play it? all alternative? all hammer ons/pull offs?

If you play something like Scarified you could play it all alternative, but economy is so much more sensible. it keeps your pick moving in the right direction. MR does it alot in the way he writes. His melodies are often (sometimes) written so they can be played using economy picking without even thinking.

Oh yeah. does anyone practise songs with a clean tone to make sure it sounds okay and then once it's all up speed switch to distortion?

:lol: Dude. Don't go by a crappy video of some random kid attemping it.

How does he play it? all alternative? all hammer ons/pull offs?

If you play something like Scarified you could play it all alternative, but economy is so much more sensible. it keeps your pick moving in the right direction. MR does it alot in the way he writes. His melodies are often (sometimes) written so they can be played using economy picking without even thinking.

The main riff is all alternate picking. The bit after is sweeped on Second Heat but string skipping played with hammer ons and pulls if it's just played by Paul on his own nowadays.

Back in the 80's, the Bach section was played with strict alternate picking. Now, Paul plays it with both picking and legato.

scarifiedmg3.jpg

w00t i'm in a Pain of Salvation cover band :D. I've been told to learn used, ashes, inside, and the perfect element. Keys of course ;). The setlist may and probably will change, and I'm hoping to have some vids from when/if we gig :).

sweet.....have fun with that dude, vids would be awesome (in my opinion at least...though most of this forum would probably want to throw sharp objects at you and I for liking them).

Varmz- it might be easier to sweep/economy pick a lot of the stuff that PG alternate picks, but it's practically impossible to articulate it the same way. Most guitar players (especially in the rock/metal world) don't pay nearly enough attention to how they articulate their lines and opt for whichever picking style is easier rather than really paying attention to how different approaches sound. Neither approach is right or wrong but they definitely sound different and that should be taken into consideration. That's definitely something that players like Paul excel at.

Varmz- it might be easier to sweep/economy pick a lot of the stuff that PG alternate picks, but it's practically impossible to articulate it the same way. Most guitar players (especially in the rock/metal world) don't pay nearly enough attention to how they articulate their lines and opt for whichever picking style is easier rather than really paying attention to how different approaches sound. Neither approach is right or wrong but they definitely sound different and that should be taken into consideration. That's definitely something that players like Paul excel at.

Good post.

yeah. but i'm not good enough to just pick it. i'm going to have to emply economy to be able to play it.

Well if you want to get good at with alternate picking, it'd just be silly to ignore it. You've got to start somewhere.

i don't really see the point of alternative picking, it just seems like the lame side kick to the guitar crime fighting duo of alt/econ.

I know it works for most things, but then so does econ. There is a difference in tone, but it's quite minor (imo). Plus if you alt pick a certain riff, it's likely that half of the riff will be picked econ due to symmetry in the string use.
what are your views?

i don't really see the point of alternative picking, it just seems like the lame side kick to the guitar crime fighting duo of alt/econ.

I know it works for most things, but then so does econ. There is a difference in tone, but it's quite minor (imo). Plus if you alt pick a certain riff, it's likely that half of the riff will be picked econ due to symmetry in the string use.
what are your views?

If I want to pick something, then it's always alternate. The obvious exceptions are 1 note per string arpeggios which I would use sweep picking and also legato passages but that's not picking so I shouldn't need to mention it.

Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages of alternate and ecomony picking but I prefer alternate.

I just need to get the second solo in Overture 1928 up 25 more bpm until the whole song is tight!

PS: Hell yeah alternate picking and econ is necessary.

If I want to pick something, then it's always alternate. The obvious exceptions are 1 note per string arpeggios which I would use sweep picking and also legato passages but that's not picking so I shouldn't need to mention it.

Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages of alternate and ecomony picking but I prefer alternate.

What about 3 notes per string on ascending/desceding strings?