What are you learning?

Atkins and Reed were both monsters. The "jerry's breakdown" video is a great one. Even for all the credit Chet receives in the guitar community I still don't think it's enough. Admittedly, I've only been getting into Chet since back in April or so but it kills me to hear what I'd been missing out on. One of my teachers (whom I would put in the same class as Guthrie Govan as far as how terrifyingly good he is) is a Chet fanatic and has sorta been passing the stuff on to myself and a few of his other students.

Legend has it that Segovia and Chet hung out a few times and even jammed a bit. Segovia really admired Chet and thought he was a great guitarist. Then, he found out that Chet also played electric guitar and refused to acknowledge him after that:lol:

Im just refreshed to hear a young person today thats open minded and exploring and appreaciating all these pioneers of various techniques without worrying about whether or not they have been surpassed in notes per second or other statis quo things.

I made a bit of a mistake in not learning other people songs or techniques and just played around with my own stuff. But thats what I enjoy doing. It didnt make me that good of a guitar player. I stopped going to my "guitar lessons" in that Berkelee summer course because the dude, a highly reputable jazz player in Bostons clubs jumped all over my shit for being left handed. He down right insulted me. Like the stories of old when they broke kids fingers for trying to write with their left hand. I felt like wacking him in the head with my guitar. Honestly! I had the urge to stand up and knock his brazen ass senseless. First time in my life I ever felt that emotion.

Now recently I learned that Steve Morse is left handed playing right. Joe Perry is left handed playing right and just this week another great whos name escapes me also plays right.

I actually started right, my friends older brother was trying to teach me and I couldnt do a thing and he was ready to tell me to give it up. In fact the day he was explaining to me that I didnt have it, I said to him "does it make any difference that Im left handed" at which point he stood up and was ready to wack me with his guitar. (maybe thats where it came from :lol: ) Then he told me about Hendrix and that he was left handed. I went out and bought a $30 acoustic with 1/4" action and within two days was playing everything he had spent two weeks trying to get me to play right handed.

Im not really coordinated or dexterious, average at best so I was an average player when young, which on today scale puts me far below average. I just want to enjoy it for a few more years and have some fun without all the dreams and schemes.

So heres a few songs Im working on

Hurricane '75
Snowolf
Heart of Winter
Queen of the Burning Bush
The Dungeon
The Tower
Childrens Nightmare
Fly Away (I Wish I Could)
Bards Quest / The Gate Keeper
Time Heals / Time Steals

Heard of them ?
They ROCK! :headbang:

:lol:

relentless (syl)

im around 200bpm...but still a waaaayyyyy to go . this song is pretty tough if you want to play it clear and tight

Im just refreshed to hear a young person today thats open minded and exploring and appreaciating all these pioneers of various techniques without worrying about whether or not they have been surpassed in notes per second or other statis quo things.

I made a bit of a mistake in not learning other people songs or techniques and just played around with my own stuff. But thats what I enjoy doing. It didnt make me that good of a guitar player. I stopped going to my "guitar lessons" in that Berkelee summer course because the dude, a highly reputable jazz player in Bostons clubs jumped all over my shit for being left handed. He down right insulted me. Like the stories of old when they broke kids fingers for trying to write with their left hand. I felt like wacking him in the head with my guitar. Honestly! I had the urge to stand up and knock his brazen ass senseless. First time in my life I ever felt that emotion.

Now recently I learned that Steve Morse is left handed playing right. Joe Perry is left handed playing right and just this week another great whos name escapes me also plays right.

I actually started right, my friends older brother was trying to teach me and I couldnt do a thing and he was ready to tell me to give it up. In fact the day he was explaining to me that I didnt have it, I said to him "does it make any difference that Im left handed" at which point he stood up and was ready to wack me with his guitar. (maybe thats where it came from :lol: ) Then he told me about Hendrix and that he was left handed. I went out and bought a $30 acoustic with 1/4" action and within two days was playing everything he had spent two weeks trying to get me to play right handed.

Im not really coordinated or dexterious, average at best so I was an average player when young, which on today scale puts me far below average. I just want to enjoy it for a few more years and have some fun without all the dreams and schemes.

So heres a few songs Im working on

Hurricane '75
Snowolf
Heart of Winter
Queen of the Burning Bush
The Dungeon
The Tower
Childrens Nightmare
Fly Away (I Wish I Could)
Bards Quest / The Gate Keeper
Time Heals / Time Steals

Heard of them ?
They ROCK! :headbang:

:lol:
that's odd i plaed left and got the occasional "you should learn to play right" deal but nothing that bad.

oh and that Atkins video was amazing, i hate to be a douche but i really can't stand older music but that was just flat out awsome.

Nice, I'll bet that was a killer show. He came through the twin cities back in the spring but I missed it. To make things even more tragic, I missed John McLaughlin last weekend:cry:

Citharoedia Strigoniesis by Ferenc Farkas (hungarian composer). I'm still trying to figure out what the name means. It's a trio piece we're doing in guitar ensemble...REALLY kickass piece. Now, if only the sheet music for the Brouwer piece we're doing (cuban lanscape with rain) would hurry up and get here :(

Today I learned Alexi and Roope's (The Bodom guys) old arrangement of one of the movements of Vivaldi's summer. Vivaldi's stuff is awesome on guitar.

And speaking of Scofield, is anyone going to catch Medeski, Martin, Wood, and Scofield? That would be a pretty kickass show, I just saw a flier for it the other day.

^great player...Andy is my hero. My "project" for the next year is to get the entire "Resolution" album transcribed and (depending on how I feel about it) submit to Andy and/or Andy's people so he can distribute it (online, in print, whatever). I would shoot to have it done a lot quicker than that but with school and all I'm only managing to find about 15 minutes once or twice a week to sit down and put some serious work into it.

Anyhow...I've been working on the jazz standard "there will never be another you" for the past week or so for my private lessons....melody, chords, and chord-melody in 12 keys. I guess I'll find out tomorrow in my lesson how bad I sucked at it:lol:

^great player...Andy is my hero. My "project" for the next year is to get the entire "Resolution" album transcribed and (depending on how I feel about it) submit to Andy and/or Andy's people so he can distribute it (online, in print, whatever). I would shoot to have it done a lot quicker than that but with school and all I'm only managing to find about 15 minutes once or twice a week to sit down and put some serious work into it.

Anyhow...I've been working on the jazz standard "there will never be another you" for the past week or so for my private lessons....melody, chords, and chord-melody in 12 keys. I guess I'll find out tomorrow in my lesson how bad I sucked at it:lol:

Wow...all of Resolution? One of my favorite instrumental albums ever. I can't imagine transcribing an album which sounds to me to be 80% improvised anyway...ha! Good luck dude...it ain't the notes for that one...it's the touch and tone...can't say that for every player. You must have quite an ear Meedles!!! Still waiting to hear you play...I'm sure I'll be blown away!

Wow...all of Resolution? One of my favorite instrumental albums ever. I can't imagine transcribing an album which sounds to me to be 80% improvised anyway...ha! Good luck dude...it ain't the notes for that one...it's the touch and tone...can't say that for every player. You must have quite an ear Meedles!!! Still waiting to hear you play...I'm sure I'll be blown away!

Yeah, that's the thing with Timmons. The notes aren't too hard to work out (with the help of some kind of software to slow certain bits down at least), but positions, fingerings, dynamics, etc. are extremely crucial...which isn't always the case with a lot of rock/instrumental guys.

The funny thing about it is, I actually don't have nearly as good of an ear as I should (considering where my every other aspect of my musicianship is at). No better way to solve that problem than just diving in head first. I figure by putting myself through all this I'll kill two birds with one stone in that I'll:

A) Have a pretty fine-tuned ear when all is said and done
B) Get a lot deeper into Timmons' musical brain and end up with lots of ideas to steal

I wish I was you. How do you learn songs that quick, man? Post a video or something.

Dude I wish I had time to post videos, or to learn how to make them! School is pretty much my primary focus 24/7 right now. Anyway, I was going to post the bass tab for Seven, but DivShare is down right now.

BTW, anyone think that the park where he says "so damn you all" sounds like Kid Rock?

Yeah, about as much as the part where he sings "It's fire and ice, make the sacrifice" sounds like Johnny Cash. :lol: But yeah, I guess the vocal effect he's using is kind of "Bawitaba" like.