What are you learning?

this past weekend:

-cuban landscape with rain-brouwer (we didn't get it in time to do it last semester, so we're doing it this time around)
-the crying machine- Vai
-Damage Control- Petrucci (most of it at least)

I just got Egypt, and Accolade II, but having a Epiphone Les Paul it's not so comfortable to practise in dropped tuning. Still noodeling around with some Symphony X songs, like Rediscovery pt. II and stuff.. but if I get a new guitar soon, I'll train 'em all!! :heh:

Working on the Communion and the Oracle solos recently. I was wondering if anyone has a reliable tab for the absurdly fast tapping section in the middle of the first solo. I figured out all the rest of it by ear but that section just ain't happening. I've seen one G Pro tab that has the solo but the fingering is all messed up and there are errors everywhere. Anyone got the scoop on that section?

Here's how I play it. Should be close to original. Copy this and in Guitar Pro select File -> Import ASCII, paste this in. Change the time signatures to 5/4 and it should work fine.

Code:
                                      T         T            T          T                     T          T          T          T  
      H        S   S  S   S S S   S   S S   S   S S      S   S  S   S   S  S   S   S  S   S   S  S   S   S  S   S   S  S   S   S  
E||--------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B||--------------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------------12h-14h-19-12h-14h-18-|
G||--------------------------------------------------|--------------------11h-13h-18------------11h-13h-18-----------------------|
D||-----------------------------------------------9h-|--11h-18-11h-13h-18------------11h-13h-18----------------------------------|
A||--11--------9h-11p-9h-11---9h-11h-18-9h-11h-18----|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E||--------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

T       T          T                   T                             T                       T              T       
           |---3---|  |---3---|   |---3---|   |-------7-------|   |------7------|   |-------7-------|   |-------7------|   7   
   S   S   S   S   S  S   S   S   S   S   S   S   S   S   S   S   S   S  S  S   S   S   S   S   S   S   S   S   S   S  S   S   
------------------------------------------------------------------------11-14h-18p-16p-14p-11h-14h-16h-19p-16p-14p-11---------|
--12h-14h-19p-12h-19-12h-14h-16p-12p-11h-12h-14h-16p-12p-11h-12------12-------------------------------------------------------|
----------------------------------------------------------------(11)--------------------------------------------------18p-13p-|
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

T              T              T          T               T          T              T              T                  
   |---3---|                                                                                                                    
   S   S   S  T   T   T   T   T   T   T  T   T   T  T   T   T   T   T  T   T   T  T   T   T   T   T   T   T  T   T   T  Q       
-------------11h-14h-16h-19p-16p-14p-11------------------------------------------11h-14h-16h-19p-16p-14p-11-------------------||
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
--11h-13h-18----------------------------18p-13p-11--------------------11h-13h-18----------------------------18p-13p-11-13~----||
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
---------------------------------------------------18p-14p-11h-14h-18---------------------------------------------------------||

Apparently I don't have the same amount of skills as everybody else here. The stuff I am working on is a lot easier.

On bass I’m working on Rush – YYZ, Frank Zappa – Valley Girl. I know most of the bits and pieces of Iron Maiden – The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner but I just have never actually tried to put it all together. Gonna try that next. Also trying to get John Myung’s solo from Metropolis Part 1 but that is slow and sloppy.

On Guitar I am trying to learn anything I can. Basically just trying to learn how to play. Playing a lot of old Kiss songs. The most advanced thing I am trying is Curse of Castle Dragon by Paul Gilbert. But that sounds a lot like my John Myung attempt. Slow and sloppy. :erk:

Here's what I've got on my plate right now:

For a country/bluies gig that my friend (a drummer/steel player) put together and asked me to play on:

-Same Ol' Love-Ricky Skaggs
-My Shoes Keep Walkin' Back to you- Ray Price
-Buckaroo-Buck Owens
-Love's Gunna Live Here- I think this also might be Buck Owens...I don't really know
-Waltz Across Texas- Ernest Tubb
-Cowboy Sweetheart-dunno the artist
-Mamma Don't Allow- It's more of a traditional song, as far as I know
-Highway 40 Blues- Ricky Skaggs
-Crossfire-SRV
-Farewell Party-The Beangrowers

Classical Guitar Ensemble

-Cuban Landscape with Rain-Brouwer
-Tango (La Cumparsita)- Rodrigues
-Symphony No. 7 in A major- Beethoven
-Allmand- William brade
-another piece or two I can't remember

my Classical Guitar Repertoire class

-etude No. 11- Villa Lobos (pretty much down already)
-Koyunbaba- Domeniconi (i think I'm only going to a couple movements for now....I started this piece last summer and got sidetracked and I don't think I can pull off certain sections...[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=BElCtsfpkA8[/ame] ...of this by the time I need to perform it)
-Five bagatelles-II. Lento-William Walton
-a couple short Andrew York pieces...I just ordered the music for about 20 of them, so I'll decide which ones to do once I get to look through them

For my other Ensemble

-Damage Control- Petrucci
-The Crying Machine- Vai
-Punk Sandwich- The Dixie Dregs
-Midnight Bell- Planet X
-YYZ-Rush
-Leave That Thing Alone- Rush
-Ghostbusters theme song (we fucked it up A LOT with some pretty intense polyrhythms and harmonies, it'll be pretty kickass)
-Jumpstart-Greg Howe (maybe)
-either Fives or Waves- Guthrie Govan (depending on which one I decide I can actually handle:lol:)
-The Industrial Stregnth Hoedown Extravaganza- Jon Finn (we're not as sure about this one anymore, but I'm hoping we decide to do it)

Luckily, all the country stuff is way easy. I charted them all out yesterday so all that's left to do is play through them a few times so that I'm not completely sight reading on the gig. The stuff for classical guitar ensemble is all way easy except for Cuban Landscape with Rain...it's the only one I've had to practice outside of rehearsal. For my repertoire class, I've never learned most of the pieces, but I'm very familar with them so I've got that working in my favor. None of them are that hard either. My other ensemble is going to be pretty intense. I've got about 5 of the tunes down already and the rest are coming along pretty well....

it's going to be a busy couple of months:erk:

Here's what I've got on my plate right now:

For a country/bluies gig that my friend (a drummer/steel player) put together and asked me to play on:

-Same Ol' Love-Ricky Skaggs
-My Shoes Keep Walkin' Back to you- Ray Price
-Buckaroo-Buck Owens
-Love's Gunna Live Here- I think this also might be Buck Owens...I don't really know
-Waltz Across Texas- Ernest Tubb
-Cowboy Sweetheart-dunno the artist
-Mamma Don't Allow- It's more of a traditional song, as far as I know
-Highway 40 Blues- Ricky Skaggs
-Crossfire-SRV
-Farewell Party-The Beangrowers

Classical Guitar Ensemble

-Cuban Landscape with Rain-Brouwer
-Tango (La Cumparsita)- Rodrigues
-Symphony No. 7 in A major- Beethoven
-Allmand- William brade
-another piece or two I can't remember

my Classical Guitar Repertoire class

-etude No. 11- Villa Lobos (pretty much down already)
-Koyunbaba- Domeniconi (i think I'm only going to a couple movements for now....I started this piece last summer and got sidetracked and I don't think I can pull off certain sections...http://youtube.com/watch?v=BElCtsfpkA8...of this by the time I need to perform it)
-Five bagatelles-II. Lento-William Walton
-a couple short Andrew York pieces...I just ordered the music for about 20 of them, so I'll decide which ones to do once I get to look through them

For my other Ensemble

-Damage Control- Petrucci
-The Crying Machine- Vai
-Punk Sandwich- The Dixie Dregs
-Midnight Bell- Planet X
-YYZ-Rush
-Leave That Thing Alone- Rush
-Ghostbusters theme song (we fucked it up A LOT with some pretty intense polyrhythms and harmonies, it'll be pretty kickass)
-Jumpstart-Greg Howe (maybe)
-either Fives or Waves- Guthrie Govan (depending on which one I decide I can actually handle:lol:)
-The Industrial Stregnth Hoedown Extravaganza- Jon Finn (we're not as sure about this one anymore, but I'm hoping we decide to do it)

Luckily, all the country stuff is way easy. I charted them all out yesterday so all that's left to do is play through them a few times so that I'm not completely sight reading on the gig. The stuff for classical guitar ensemble is all way easy except for Cuban Landscape with Rain...it's the only one I've had to practice outside of rehearsal. For my repertoire class, I've never learned most of the pieces, but I'm very familar with them so I've got that working in my favor. None of them are that hard either. My other ensemble is going to be pretty intense. I've got about 5 of the tunes down already and the rest are coming along pretty well....

it's going to be a busy couple of months:erk:

That's quite a plateful...I used to play in country band for a while.

Good luck with it all.

That's one of the two we haven't rehearsed yet. The drummer learned the song a while ago and he's got the guitar rhythm for the first 40 seconds or whatever transcribed out already. We don't have a keyboard player so I'll probably end up playing the key parts on guitar with a delay and volume pedal. There's another guitar player in the group and I don't know what he wants to do as far as leads go, but I'm planning on improvising mine. We're seguing into another song at the bass solo.

The rhythm is pretty cool. It's a very syncopated 4/4. Did you ever listen to alien hip hop off of quantum? It's kind of the same thing but a little more complex.

Good luck Meedley. Learning Planet X is such a pain in the ass.:lol: