What are you learning?

honestly all the different styles in that nevermore song are teaching me some new things. it's a great exorcise at least.... it's gonna take a while to get the whole thing down... and then up to speed is gonna take a LONG time.

Once finals are over and I get back home for the summer I want to start working on a few different pieces. These are the ones I've picked out so far :

-Evening Dance- Andrew York (duet....I'm actually going to be doing it with one of my teachers on one of my recitals, it'll be awesome)
-Usher Waltz- Nikita Koshkin
-Verano Porteno- Piazzolla
-English Suite-John Duarte

I'm attempting Paul Gilbert's "The Gargoyle" at the moment.

video if you dont know the song:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm working on finding more practice time and purchasing another simple recording device.

Anyone have Brett Garsed's Big Sky? I sampled it...sounds really great...wondering if it's worth the purchase.

Yeah I've got it (Or my cousin lent it to me and I haven't given it back yet anyway... :lol: ) It's awesome, but yeah takes a while to appreciate...

I'm currently learning the Rusty Cooley 'Betcha Can't Play This' lick from Guitar World a couple of months back... It's a big C# Phrygian 4-notes-per-string lick which is a great exercise for stretching my fingers as well as my alternate-picking which isn't as up to scratch as I'd like atm...

I'm trying to decide whether to get the guitar transcriptions for either Passion & Warfare, Alien Love Secrets or Fire Garden by Steve Vai... All have awesome tunes I'd like to learn, but what would have the best 'awesomeness/learnability' ratio...

I'm trying to decide whether to get the guitar transcriptions for either Passion & Warfare, Alien Love Secrets or Fire Garden by Steve Vai... All have awesome tunes I'd like to learn, but what would have the best 'awesomeness/learnability' ratio...

I'd go with Fire Garden First. I don't have love secrets and haven't listened to it in a while, but between P&W and Fire Garden....I think either one has enough cool songs, but Fire Garden is probably a bit better for learnability.

I think you should definately get Alien Love Secrets. Right Now. :p

hmmm, you're probably right, but I kinda feel like I'll only use half the book cos of all the vocal tracks... :bah:

I think the order you listed them is accurate, Dan. Maybe consider it T1, T1, 3.

I just listed them chronologically... ;)

Maybe I'll just get all 3... :lol:

EDIT: Just rang the supplier, and they don't have Fire Garden atm, so I guess I'll go with one of the other 2, I'm kinda leaning towards ALS, I don't want to be just another guitarist playing For The Love Of God... :lol:

I'm starting to transcribe/learn some Brett Garsed stuff off of the new Planet X record Quantum. I'm about halfway through the solo on Poland. What an incredible player!:worship:

practicing some great 'guitar-gym' technical workout exercises which a guy from the Outworld forum sent me... Really trying to increase practice and get my speed and accuracy increasing...

I'm starting to build up my technique as well. Almost all of what I practice pertains to theory. I just finished transcribing the fast Brett Garsed run in Quantum Factor and found a tab of Serrano Arpeggios by Jason Becker. Those should keep me busy for a few months.:lol: