What are you learning?

i've only had guitar lessons for probably 7-9 months scattered over 2 1/2-3 years of playing. i really need one again, but our family was kinda strapped for money for a while. but ill probably have my old one soon, hes in my band so he still helps me a lot. but lessons help a bitch load.

That was my problem when I initially took lessons a few years ago. We just didn't have the money for them. Then I get a good paying job, asked the teacher to sign me up for lessons and two weeks later I move to Indiana. *Sigh*

Might've just saved myself some time...I found a transcription of Greg's solo on the tune. I haven't checked it for accuracy or double checked to see how much of it is actually there...but a good find nonetheless.

yeah! I gave the guy a call and had a chat about that...

His favourite guitarists are: Steve Lukather, Phil Keaggy, Gary Moore, Tony Palacious, Jack Jones, Ty Tabor, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Brett Garsed, Lincoln Brewster, Steve Morse, Guthrie Govan, Blues Saraceno, Greg Howe, Ritchie Kotzen and Tommy Emmanuel...

So yeah we're gonna be basically doing 'Fusion' guitar I guess... Jazz and Rock guitar techniques, plenty of Jazz theory and concepts and improvisation... Greg Howe and Brett Garsed are the two at the moment that are really kicking my butt into that area, so I'm really looking forward to it! And maybe I'll even come to an appreciation of Guthrie... :p

Here's a really small clip of him jamming with a keyboard player...

[ame]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=9187981[/ame]

So he's also a pretty good player himself, which was important to me, and he actually lives fairly close nearby which is also a bonus... Hopefully it works out well, I'm really looking forward to it! :D

So, I had my first lesson on Tuesday night... :D

It was great! He seems just the sort of teacher I need, got straight into nutting out modes on each individual string, stuff I might not have thought to practice by myself, but with a lesson pending next week, I make sure I do my practice, and not just jam incessantly... :lol: I think this should be a real positive step in my playing, and hopefully a big one as well... :cool:

Good deal. I think one of the best things to have any teacher around for is to give you that extra sense of accountability, and it seems like he's accomplishing that so good on him. Great exercise too...a favorite of Charlie Banacos.

yeah its cool, It certainly helps already, with visualizing them as '#4' etc. and to learn ALL of them, not just Ionian and Aeolian... Although, no matter what one I'm supposed to be using, I always seem to naturally gravitate towards phrasing it so that it sounds Phrygian... :lol:

trying to memorize all the music for this damn musical I'm doing:zombie:. Luckily it's only about 55 minutes worth and it's all easy stuff (and I've got until the 12th to have it memorized)....just weird song forms that make memorizing it a bitch.

Other than that, just practicing pieces for my recital in Nov. One of the good things about having a roommate now (especially one who is also a guitar player who goes to the same school as myself and studies with the same guy....it's a good thing we're such good friends!) is that the pressure is on to not suck. We can hear each other practice so there's just a bit of a friendly competition:heh:

trying to memorize all the music for this damn musical I'm doing:zombie:. Luckily it's only about 55 minutes worth and it's all easy stuff (and I've got until the 12th to have it memorized)....just weird song forms that make memorizing it a bitch.

Other than that, just practicing pieces for my recital in Nov. One of the good things about having a roommate now (especially one who is also a guitar player who goes to the same school as myself and studies with the same guy....it's a good thing we're such good friends!) is that the pressure is on to not suck. We can hear each other practice so there's just a bit of a friendly competition:heh:

That's awesome! My roommate listens to rap..:ill:

I have been figuring out the chords to Alien Hip Hop (Quantum version). They actually just seem to be a lot of Sus 2 chords.

Nowadays, I work mainly on technique, mostly picking which is my weakest point...

I learned the solos from Church of the machine about one year ago, but I figured out very early that I couldn't expect to play those beasts at the time. So I recently listened to the TiO album and the solos of Church really amazed me once again. Especially the first one, which I thought was an excellent picking exercice. And there's a friggin' 15 nps run in this!

Right now I can play it very accurately at about 80% of the speed. I can't wait to get to full speed so I can play the full song (I've already nailed the other solos). I think it would be a lot of fun to record a cover too. I wish I had better recording gear than a Pod straight into the comp though...

I have been going through this book by Joe Diorio called [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Intervallic-Designs-Jazz-Guitar-Ultramodern/dp/0634020064"]Intervallic Designs[/ame] and it has been helping a lot with my phrasing. Highly recommended if you guys get a chance to buy it!

I've been lifting a lot of stuff out of Scott Henderson's playing and have been doing a LOT of Chet stuff. I've been on a HUGE Chet kick lately. I've really been connecting to a lot of his music and his playing and have been diving into as much of his stuff as possible. Something just clicked...it's hard to describe. I've always thought he was a genius, but never REALLY appreciated him the way I do now. I can't get enough of his music, have been reading a lot about the man himself, and even managed to stay up until 6am one night last week just working through some of his tunes. There are only a very small handful of players I've ever experienced this with.

I got these books "Chet Atkins: In Three Dimensions" vol. 1 & 2 that I HIGHLY reccomend. The transcriptions are fantastic, but some of the stories about chet and the interviews in there are priceless. I was particularly moved by Tommy Emmanuel's story about his visit to Chet just a few weeks before his death.

Working up a few classical pieces that I'm planning to do on my Senior Recital next year. The ones I'm working on now are:

-Verano Porteno- Piazzolla
-La Catedral- Barrios
-Usher Waltz- Koshkin

I'm probably going to put a few of the Villa-Lobos etudes and play them as a set, I'd like to pick out another Koshkin piece (I'm looking at a few different ones...I'm considering The Prince's Toys just for the sheer fun of it), a set of short Andrew York pieces (or possibly his duet, Evening Dance), and a Brouwer piece. I might throw in Koyunbaba (Domeniconi) but, it's long and I don't want to eat up too much of the ensemble portion of the recital...the advantage is that I already know most of it.

I've also been working out some of the solos in the Charlie Parker Omnibook...talk about a technique workout! I've been transcribing some Holdsworth stuff and a few of Scott Henderson's solos off of the first Vital Tech Tones album too. Luckily, I'm only working 20 hours a week at my job and gigging as much as possible on top of that, so I've got a lot of time this summer to practice and learn tunes for various bands/gigs I'm playing in...including a Porcupine Tree tribute thing that my drummer wants to do in the fall!

/end attempt to get SOME sort of activity going on this board again....seriously guys, let's make something happen!

I don't have drums where I am living, so I am working on integrating stick twirls into actual playing, for a better live show. I put on songs and air drum to them while working in different tricks.