What are you learning?

Wow, you're certainly keeping busy!

Scott Henderson and Allan Holdsworth rule, I'd like to learn some of their stuff eventually.

There's a book out called "The best of Scott Henderson" and it has (accurate) transcriptions of a lot of songs off of Face First, Illicit and Reality Check. That may be of interest to you.

I might check that out too...I'm more about learning by ear these days, but I'd still like to check that out. I'm finding that Scott is one of my favorite players to transcribe because he's such a good player in all aspects and his ideas are so universally applicable. His phrasing and development are top-notch.

So here's a question for some of you nasty guitarists on this forum:

I'm finally learning the string skipping section in DT's Erotomania. Despite all the incorrect tabs out there, I figured out that it is actually just straight 5-tuplets all the way through and I had, in prior attempts to get it down, been making things far more difficult on myself than need be. But I'm currently split between two picking options.

1. Strictly alternate pick the entire thing
2. Economy pick on transitions between adjacent strings when applicable

Now, the economy style in this case does nothing to really diminish the timbre as would incorporating hammer ons and pull offs, since the double stroke on adjacent strings still registers as independent attacks. What I am trying to figure out is what is the best way to play it in order to get it up to speed and keep it accurate. When I do the straight alternate pickup it feels like a stretch that those leaps around strings to catch the 'correct' alternate stroke may be too difficult at such a high tempo. On the other hand, that may just come with time. I'm curious what people think would be the better choice for speed and accuracy.

Anyway you can post the left hand positions/fingerings you are using for it? I wouldn't mind going through the whole thing (or the parts in question at least) to point out what picking patterns I would use. It's been a while since I messed with it, but I suspect that unless I was working on it just for technique purposes I would've gone with strict alternate picking. Otherwise I would lean towards incorporating some economy picking.

Alternate picking that is pretty feasible, it's how John does it. If nothing else, you'd benefit from working on it that way just to sort out whatever technical issue hanging you up with it now.

I'm learning that there's only one scale...chromatic...that mindset has opened up a whole new freedom, creativity and life to my soloing.

I envy those that can understand how to feel it and apply it, helps if you can go like hell, which I cant. I've been aware of it for years but have minimal luck with passing tones, good ear and interval training or natural abilties would help.

I have been noticing lately if you take the blues scale with its common passing tones.... the "proper" applicable key scale and the applicable harmonic minor scale... and combine them I think you come up with nearly a complete chromatic scale. But I havent worked it out (connected the dots) to be sure.

Anyway you can post the left hand positions/fingerings you are using for it? I wouldn't mind going through the whole thing (or the parts in question at least) to point out what picking patterns I would use. It's been a while since I messed with it, but I suspect that unless I was working on it just for technique purposes I would've gone with strict alternate picking. Otherwise I would lean towards incorporating some economy picking.

Alternate picking that is pretty feasible, it's how John does it. If nothing else, you'd benefit from working on it that way just to sort out whatever technical issue hanging you up with it now.

I'd be glad to post the fingering I'm using, but I need to know a good way to do such a thing. I guess I could take a screen shot of the GP file?

I envy those that can understand how to feel it and apply it, helps if you can go like hell, which I cant. I've been aware of it for years but have minimal luck with passing tones, good ear and interval training or natural abilties would help.

I have been noticing lately if you take the blues scale with its common passing tones.... the "proper" applicable key scale and the applicable harmonic minor scale... and combine them I think you come up with nearly a complete chromatic scale. But I havent worked it out (connected the dots) to be sure.

Just let go, Grasshopper.

So here's a question for some of you nasty guitarists on this forum:

I'm finally learning the string skipping section in DT's Erotomania. Despite all the incorrect tabs out there, I figured out that it is actually just straight 5-tuplets all the way through and I had, in prior attempts to get it down, been making things far more difficult on myself than need be. But I'm currently split between two picking options.

1. Strictly alternate pick the entire thing
2. Economy pick on transitions between adjacent strings when applicable

Now, the economy style in this case does nothing to really diminish the timbre as would incorporating hammer ons and pull offs, since the double stroke on adjacent strings still registers as independent attacks. What I am trying to figure out is what is the best way to play it in order to get it up to speed and keep it accurate. When I do the straight alternate pickup it feels like a stretch that those leaps around strings to catch the 'correct' alternate stroke may be too difficult at such a high tempo. On the other hand, that may just come with time. I'm curious what people think would be the better choice for speed and accuracy.

i've got a tab of the whole song from guitar techniques if you've got an email addy i could scan it in and some point and chuck it over to you?

I'd be glad to post the fingering I'm using, but I need to know a good way to do such a thing. I guess I could take a screen shot of the GP file?

You can PM me a download link to the GP file if you like. In the mean time, I'd reccomend taking Anacrucix up on his offer. With GT, you can rest quite assured that that positions/fingerings will be accurate and I'm sure they go into picking patterns too (they probably reccomend strict alternate picking, if nothing else then just for the sake of authenticity).

You can PM me a download link to the GP file if you like. In the mean time, I'd reccomend taking Anacrucix up on his offer. With GT, you can rest quite assured that that positions/fingerings will be accurate and I'm sure they go into picking patterns too (they probably reccomend strict alternate picking, if nothing else then just for the sake of authenticity).

dug it out just to check it wasn't the issue which my ex-girlfriend helpfully vandalised with permanent marker. (it's not!)

The notes for that section say

Guitar Techniques said:
Alternate-picked sixteenth note quintuplets arranged as three-note per string scales. We start with G Dorian (G A Bb C D E F) and transpose to A minor (A B C D E F G), briefly changing to A Harmonic Minor (A B C D E F#) in bar 151. Skipping between octaves (bar 149) requires accuracy when planting the fourth finger. Build up speed only when you can play it accurately

popup

That's at least the first part of the fingering I'm using. I put up the pick stroke notation at the beginning to show how adjacent string could warrant an economy picking motion. I can play it at about 90 bpm with very good accuracy wholly alternate picked... I just worry that the motion to pop over a string to alternate pick EVERYTHING when transitioning between strings may be too precise a movement to ever get down at the full speed (around 150 bpm I think). I know there are some instances where you simply have to economy pick certain parts (like part of the intro to damnation game is hopeless unless you economy pick some parts). I've tried watching Petrucci do it on the Scenes from a Memory DVD, and I really can't tell if he is truly alt picking EVERYTHING or if he is incorporating the type of economy picking as I have illustrated (which I believe is how many guitarists might play it).

P.S. Ignore the D Standard tuning, I just happened to be playing on a guitar in that tuning when I was working on this so I transposed it (aurally). The fingering is still the real fingering for E-standard tuning.

My email is syxified@yahoo.com if you want to send me any literature, etc, on it. Thanks guys!