What are you learning?

practicing some great 'guitar-gym' technical workout exercises which a guy from the Outworld forum sent me... Really trying to increase practice and get my speed and accuracy increasing...

If you're referring to the "guitar gym" monthly articles by Shawn Baxter that were run in Guitar Techniques a while back, then good on you. Some of the best material you can get your hands on. In addition to the articles, I've got all the audio files if you need them. I'd also highly reccomend Guthrie's "creative guitar 2". Best instructional material I've ever bought (better than the guitar gym stuff, though only by a small margin).

progmetaldan said:
HUUUUUGGE Arpeggios... :D

I know! It's absolutely mind boggling watching Jason Becker do it flawlessly.

If you're referring to the "guitar gym" monthly articles by Shawn Baxter that were run in Guitar Techniques a while back, then good on you. Some of the best material you can get your hands on. In addition to the articles, I've got all the audio files if you need them. I'd also highly reccomend Guthrie's "creative guitar 2". Best instructional material I've ever bought (better than the guitar gym stuff, though only by a small margin).

This sounds interesting. Do you know where I can read the guitar gym articles? I have been (Finally!!) starting to set up a practice routine again after a few years of nothing but transcribing stuff.

The Guthrie book looks cool as well. Do I need to read the first one, or is Guthries book fine on its own?

You shouldn't need the first book (also written by Guthrie). Based on it's description and some reviews, I skipped it because it seemed like I was well past all the material in there, but I do plan on getting eventually just to keep in my library and use for teaching purposes (he's as good of a teacher as he is a player so having his stuff on hand certainly can't hurt).

PM me your email address and I'll see if I can't upload the guitar gym stuff for you. My internet connection isn't the most reliable so I might not get it to you tonight, but I'll do what I can. It's also available on most torrent/download sights. I might be able to save you some time though.

yeah, they're the very ones... :cool:

You shouldn't need the first book (also written by Guthrie). Based on it's description and some reviews, I skipped it because it seemed like I was well past all the material in there, but I do plan on getting eventually just to keep in my library and use for teaching purposes (he's as good of a teacher as he is a player so having his stuff on hand certainly can't hurt).

PM me your email address and I'll see if I can't upload the guitar gym stuff for you. My internet connection isn't the most reliable so I might not get it to you tonight, but I'll do what I can. It's also available on most torrent/download sights. I might be able to save you some time though.

I love his stuff!!!!!!!!! Could I get them as well ? :loco:

I love his stuff!!!!!!!!! Could I get them as well ? :loco:

Sure, PM your email address. Note, though, that the guitar gym articals aren't by Guthrie. They are by Shawn Baxter, who is my second favorite columnist in GT magazine. Phenomal stuff regardless of author.

Sorry for the late response btw, I've been without internet since last Thursday.

Working on (almost done with) Proto Cosmos. It's one of the pieces I'm going to be playing on my Junior Recital in the fall. I keep going back and forth between Holdsworth's version and Howe's, but I think I might dig Howe's more.

Nice, both amazing guitarists, I'm loving Holdsworth's solo on Planet X- Desert Girl...

I've been practicing a couple of hours every day for the past couple of weeks consistently, and with a metronome... It is incredible the increases in both accuracy and speed this can bring. I've been using a couple of the Shaun Baxter Guitar Gym exercises for alternate picking (3 notes per string), and SymX- Smoke & Mirrors for an arpeggio exercise, and Rusty Cooley's 'Betcha Can't Play This' lick for 4 notes per string stretchy exercises, which has been really good... I've also been keeping a chart and writing down my speed at the end of each practice session so I can see my progress, its going great! :D

I'm also looking for a teacher, still no luck there... :erk:

I think I'm going to try to steal bits of each of their solos to mix in with mine as sort of a homage.

And this isn't as response/reuttal to your post or anything, but while we're on the topic of metronomes:

Developing speed and chops with a metronome are great (essential, in my opinion), but even more important is to help develop rhythm. Playing 16th-note funk rhythms with a metronome for a while is both fun and tremendously beneficial. My high school music teacher started me playing just basic swing/big band rhythms with a metronome only clicking on beats 2 and 4 and I sort of ran with the idea. There are all kinds of variations and ways to take that concept further. One of my favorites is to go into something like finale or powertab and set something up where you have some sort of quarter note click for a while (at least a couple measures) then cuts out every so often for a few measures (or even a few clicks..which is probably easier when doing this excercise the first few times). Play a rhythm part along with the track, but don't stop when it comes out. The goal is to have solid enough time so that when the click comes back you're still perfectly synchronized with it. I like doing this with latin and funk rhythms the most...the more syncopated the better.