What are you reading/What did you read (books)

Cari

Jul 7, 2008
Maybe let´s share our experiences with the books we read or have read so people know if it could be their taste or not... ;)

So I am gonna start with two books, rather biographies in a way, that I really enjoyed reading...

Number 1 would be "The Heroin Diaries" by Niki Sixx - read the book now twice and still feel like reading it over and over again.
The book is about the scribbles Nikki did at early Mötley Crue times, and kinda shows the rollercoaster ride with drugs, life, music and whatever else - collected from his own written diary entries and filled up with comments by people who were around him at that time...
It´s fascinating, stunning, scary and interesting at the same time, yet you can at times just feel sad about that devilish circle he got into...
It´s really hard to describe what I thought when reading, because for me personally I had to read it twice or have to read it even more often to kinda suck up all tiny details of it because there is imo a load of stuff to think about...

The second one is "Unbreakable" from Lindsey Hunter, wife of british Snooker-Player Paul Hunter who died from cancer. The book is about all ups and downs and also about earlier years in his life, all written down and collected by his wife, at least mostly.
It´s an extremly touching book, at least it has been for me because I admired him and once had met him and saw him going down and struggling and fighting, and then reading that book was painful - yet it was nice and good to see once again how much fun in life you can have even though being that ill and knowing that chances of a longer life aren´t high /or better: hardly existing). It made me think a load about life in general and quite some other things aswell, been really worth a read - but I think it´s just special when you´re into Snooker...

I am reading "Complete Illustrated Guide to Tablesaws" by Paul Anthony. Very neat book for beginner to intermediate woodworker. In section 4 I learn that every year in USA, there are between 30000 and 60000 medical visits to the emergency room. Now I put that next to what my brother-in-law was telling me. He's a family doctor. He sees a lot of people with tablesaw accidents - I dunno why but I think it's because the place he works is fairly close to some lumber yards. He tells me that the mild ones, he can patch by himself with what he has in the familiy medicine facility. The severe cases, he gives some first aid but sends to emergency room. So that means those between 30000 and 60000 are just the severe ones :erk:

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

Currently am not reading anything but my last few books have all been Dean Koontz fiction novels with some degree of horror/thriller elements and a pretty good read. It's like Stephen King but without the huge size!

Also recently have re-read The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings because they are just amazing books that can be enjoyed over and over again. Plus any number of random knowledge facts books or if I am feeling childish I can read an Asterix book!

Been reading alot of Stephen King over the past week or so. My brother has almost all of his books so I've been using him as my personal library, haha. Have now read: Misery, Pet Sematary, the Talisman, the Bachman Books, Skeleton Crew, Insomnia, Nightshift and 'Salems Lot.

I'm guessing most people here know what sort of style Stephen King books are like, but if you've only seen the movie versions of his books - I highly suggest you actually read the books themselves. I think the movies are a serious let down to his work.

^ :kickass: to Stephen King!
I haven't read much by him, only "The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer", "Christine" and "Pet Sematary" and have been struggling with "Carrie" some time ago :lol: but I really loved and was captivated by what I've read. And now that you mention the movies, I'm glad it's not just me - I've TRIED to watch Christine the movie, but it looked so fabulously, terribly, awfully cheap I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes or so. :lol:

I love Stephen King and can see what you mean about his films...The Shining was such a let down. The book was fantastic, especially about the hedge animals. Desperation was awesome, as was 'Salems Lot but my favourite is probably the collection of short stories in Night Shift. Everythings Eventual was good too.

Why I love Dean Koontz is that I find his stories as entertaining as Kings but a lot quicker and more to the point. It doesn't take a million pages to go through.

Lee Valley Catalogue

A very interesting reading given that most of my Christmas stuff will come from there. And I have a few buddies who will receive presents I will get from there . . . so all in all a very good reading. I suggest it to anyone looking to get me Christmas or non-Christmas presents :)

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

im with Paulo Coelho, The Valkiryes right now, before that i was reading Silence of the lamb wich is one of my favorites books of all the time

The Shelters of Stone by Jean M. Auel.
It's the fifth book in the Earth's Children series. I'm re-reading it since the sixth and final book is supposed to come out in March and I'd like to have some clue about what is going on before I buy and read the final book.

"The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" by Malcolm Gladwell.
"[...]explains and analysses the <tipping point>, that magic moment when ideas, trends and social behaviours cross a threshold, tip and spread like a wildfire. Taking a look behind the surface of many familiar occurences in our everyday world he explains social dynamics that cause rapid change[...]"

I can only say that, after once really getting into the reading flow (which was somehow a problem for me, no idea why), it´s really interesting and nice to read because there are really everyday things explained by those social behaviours and dynamics and it offered quite a different view on things.
I enjoyed it, it was informative but never boring or so...

Well, I am usually reading lots of books at once being a history major. But, I have been enjoying a Time Life book on Russian History until the 18th Century. I was curious about the evolution of Russia to Czarist rule. The book is more of an overview but it helps to figure out which topics I plan to focus on. Reading about Ivan the Terrible at the moment...

Why I love Dean Koontz is that I find his stories as entertaining as Kings but a lot quicker and more to the point. It doesn't take a million pages to go through.

Good to see another Koontz fan. One of my favorites by him is 'Midnight.' I love the whole idea about the inner animal and regression. If that isn't enough to make anyone curious, I don't know what is. :loco:

Alright, so I just started to read a new book...and this timeI do not try to look intelligent *laughing*

It´s called "Finnisches Roulette" (English translation of the title would be Finnish roulette whilst the original title is "Ikuisesti paha" which doesn´t really translate as theyhave done it, but anyways) by Taavi Soininvaara.
That guy obviously has received some "best Finnish criminal book"-prize for one of his other books but yeah, I really like the translation (hoping it´s done better than with the title) and it´s good to read, you really get a pictore of how people look like, things seem realistic and it really makes you want to read the whole at one *laughing*

EDIT: After having finished it, I have to admit I straightly ordered one more book from Taavi, simply because it really has a good flow and just caught me...one more finnish author that made me kinda addicted to their books hahaha XD

Alright, I can add another one, because I am just about to start a new book...

This time it´s "Spür die Angst" (original title "Snabba Cash - Hatet Drivet Jakten", English title "Easy Money" - yeah, recheck, again a weird title-translation into German) by Jens Lapidus.
Actually planned to read it in English but somehow realized my brain was too lazy for that due to the fact I will soon receive more books in English, so I´m gonna give my brain a little "relaxxing time" whilst reading it.

Anyways, that´s some information from wikipedia (yeah, lazy me XD) about the content:
"JW is a young man living in Stockholm, originally from the countryside but feigning the appearance of a "Stekare" (in Swedish parlance, a lifestyle based on flaunting one's apparent wealth), actually leading a double life driving taxi illegally to finance his expensive life on Stureplan. Abdulkarim, running the taxi business, offers JW to begin sell cocaine instead. JW accepts the offer and enters Stockholms underground. Jorge Salinas Barrio is a Latino who has gone to prison after taking the blame for drug business in which the Yugoslav mafia was involved. He escapes from Österåker Prison with plans to escape the country. Mrado Slovovic is a Serbian henchman who runs errands for the Yugoslav mafia, but he actually dreams of a normal life with his daughter Lovisa.

The three characters unite in the book through their dreams about quick earnings. Once JW and Abdulkarim have the cocaine sales going they want to expand. Abdulkarim has heard of Jorge, who has at the time made an escape. The word on the street is that Jorge has learned everything about the cocaine business while in prison thus JW gets an assignment to hire him. Simultaneously Jorge has tried to blackmail the Yugoslav mafia boss. The hitman Mrado has been assigned to make him think otherwise.

When JW finally finds Jorge he is laying beaten-up in a forest, courtesy of Mrado. Abdulkarim takes care of Jorge, and they start working together."

Usually I start and finish a book at once, but this time it´s different because I finally finally received one of the books I had planned to read during my holidays...

So, I changed over to reading "Touched with Fire - Manic-depressive illness and the artistic temperament" by Kay Redfield Jamison...
I got inspired to read this when browsing through my study-subjects and I stumbled over this book for the Artist Management course ad browsed some more, found it interesting and decided onr eading it already now...let´s see if it was a good choice XD

i always read one..and till i finish it i continue with another one, but right now i get some ebooks that im reading in parallel.
Currently im reading Män som hatar kvinnor, but its spanish version(since the book was appearing in my life in a subliminal way) and of Brian Weiss, Many lives, Many masters

hey Cari recomend me books, last time i went to book fair with almost nothing in my list

What kind of book-"genres" do you prefer in general? Might make it a little easier for me then ;)

literature basically...well i read many fiction, or classical books i think is much more about how the writer drives you through the story. I loved Memoirs of a geisha from the begining to the end...so you can think in any that really love it or blow your mind :p