What are you reading/What did you read (books)

I am mostly reading biographies, thrillers/criminal books or such cross-topic or psychologically touched stuff....spo I am not sure if out book-taste really meets XD

ok pass with biographies tought XD but the criminal or the psychologically-touched think are good haha

I love Thomas Harris books...Silence of the lambs has been always one of my favorites movies, so i get the books XD

When it comes to criminal, author wise I can recommend Leena Lehtolainen and Taavi Soininvaara, those are my favourites right at the moment. They have plenty of books with stories that aren´t too obvious with their storylines and outcomes, so you can´t really guess what comes up on the next pages (that´s a reason why I dropped Dan Brown´s book because it became boring pretty fast...)...

"Deborah Spungen: And I Don't Want to Live This Life: A Mother's Story of Her Daughter's Murder" is quite a story, interesting but also at times, hm, hard to read in the sense that it is touching but creepy at the same time...but it´s cool, I can only recommend that book. That book is written with the help of the mother of the girl that was murdered, but at times it seems pretty surreal that it really is supposed to have happened XD

Anyways, "Touched with Fire - Manic-depressive illness and the artistic temperament" by Kay Redfield Jamison is a great book, but going very into detail when it comes to the psychological aspects, what you could already guess from the title...

This is a very useful thread for me. I can always claim I read books and use some of the comments posted here to make myself seem more educated than I really am. I can't even get myself to read Reader's Digest or Cliffs Notes.

Cheers to all of you true readers! :)

wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

I got so many books for the holidays that I am going to have to catch up, quick. I've been working on Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian" for a while now. It's incredibly well written, powerful- but not an easy read. He's also the author of "The Road", which was amazing. Even if you saw the movie (which was actually quite a good adaptation), read it.

Oh, and Cari, if you like Malcolm Gladwell, you need to read "Outliers". It's basically about how there is logic behind those who are extremely successful, and how much of that logic has more to do with circumstance than we normally think. Incredibly interesting- I don't know if I agreed with him on every point, but it definitely gave me some new insights.

I've just finished The Silmarillion (4th time), and now I'm reading "Fragments of a Mathematic Discussion"; and I think I'll start reading another of Christopher Tolkien

I have so much textbook material to read for my classes that I don't think I'll even have time to do any reading on the side.
My forensic anthropology textbook is very interesting though.

Fantasy/SciFi geek here. Think that kind of stuff goes well with music like Turisas. :)

Last reads were The Name of the wind (Patrick Rothfuss). Awesome fantasy novel without the usual waving with swords and fighting evil overlords. Very beautiful and emotional.

Also read Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card. It´s the 4th and final volume in his Ender saga. Great book, but not as awesome as the first two in the series.

I dont even get to read my own books anymore, at the moment I have the pleasure of reading the Finnish Copyright Act >.<

'The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, And The Battle Of The Little Bighorn' by Nathaniel Philbrick. (Autographed copy I got as a birthday present)

Good book so far. In America all we learn in elementary education is how brave Custer was and the great sacrifice he made. This book gives the reader more insight on the leaders of both sides during the last great conflict between the United States Army and the Lakota Sioux. Some say this battle signaled the end of Indian civilization in North American and I tend to agree. Though in the past 30+ years there has been great effort to preserve and 're-discover' Native culture and languages.

Johnny's got his gun from Dalton TRUMBO ... Incredible book then movie that appears in the Metallica videoclip 'One'. Very good book ...

So, I changed over to reading "Touched with Fire - Manic-depressive illness and the artistic temperament" by Kay Redfield Jamison...
I got inspired to read this when browsing through my study-subjects and I stumbled over this book for the Artist Management course ad browsed some more, found it interesting and decided onr eading it already now...let´s see if it was a good choice XD

I can proudly announce that after having read like 180 pages of it today, I am done with the book and have to say that it wasn´t only really interesting from the psychological point of view, but also when it comes to being inspired from which poets to buy some stuff *laughing*

Next up (yeah, too lazy to continue the other unfinished book atm):
Taavi Soininvaara - Finnisches Blut ("Finnish blood")...at least it´s in German, I need some brain-relaxxing after this hard-to-read book LOL

STILL COMING UP:

Slash biography
and
"Standing room only - Strategies for Marketing the Performing Arts" by Philip Kotler (and no, I do not need this for university, I am into all this marketing stuff after having first hated it LOL)

I'm mainly reading books about Quantum Physics, Astrophysics, theories of everything, it's all very interesting stuff. I really enjoys Brian Greene's 'the elegant universe', but I don't know how easy it would be to understand for someone who doesn't do physics.

Recently read Danger Close by Stuart Tootal
A very good read about the British Parachute Regiment in Afghanistan.
Also started reading D-Day by Stephen Ambrose
So far so good, a nice read about, you guessed it, D-Day.

Just finished the Green Mile series by Stephen King and absolutely loved them, as I do with most of Stephen King's work but I found the movie quite cheesy and lame in comparison. The books really pulled at the heart strings, the movie didn't quite connect to the viewer as much as the books did. But, not overly surprising.

I'm currently reading The Tome of Hercules by Andy McDermott but only halfway through. I have enjoyed it so far, though I find the action scenes a little drawn out. They'd be great for a movie but for a book...just a little too long winded for my taste.

Slash biography <== DONE :)
and
"Standing room only - Strategies for Marketing the Performing Arts" by Philip Kotler

Alright, so I just finished the Slash biography after three days of intensive reading...I really liked it and enjoyed reading it, it was really written in a nice way, just there was one thing that started to annoy the hell out of me at times "but we´ll get later to that" or something similar was used so often that it really got me angry...face it, it´s not needed.
But besides this little tiny thing, it was really interesting to read, and might somewhen end in my hands for a second read because at times you find new things in such book that you might have not discovered at first...

And now, or well, on 17th (yay, holidays) I can finally start reading "Standing room only - Strategies for Marketing the Performing Arts" by Philip Kotler after it being covered by dust already since January hahahah >.<

WOW! Im actually reading a book! For an exam that is.. :p The first exam that I really have to read to since senior high :rofl: Actually only the first essay based exam too since then. ;)
"Media changes" - media history by various authors... Just wondering how someone can take something so interesting as it was on the lectures, and make it sound soooo dry and boring.

Be happy.
I always have to read stuff for exams lol

After an "exciting" book on HRM, now stuff about Visual Communication.
I finally want to really read "Standing room only - Strategies for Marketing the Performing Arts" by Philip Kotler but... >.<