What are your five favourite bands?

My goodness, what an original topic.

But I'll play along.

Borknagar
Emperor
Limbonic Art
Summoning
Samael

Honorable mentions to Hypocrisy, Arcturus and Aborym.

There's only been three bands that have really held significane in my life to at one point call them favourites - more so than the hundreds of black metal bands I've listened and enjoy to or any other metal band.

I am certainly no n00b when it comes to metal, but this is really going to look like it lol. During my pre-metal days, it was Marilyn Manson (early material). Cradle of Filth (early material) as I was getting into metal, and Theatres des Vampires (1994-2004) is my current all-time favourite because I really enjoy their gothic style. I can't think of any others that have been as close to me, but London After Midnight is up there. The music not only do I enjoy, but it has a personal significance and lots of sentimental memories attatched to it, that I don't get with other bands simply through music.

Boredom envelopes me, so whatever.

Bal-Sagoth
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Opeth

The first four don't change. Fifth is tough for me as my tastes change. Hmm. Probably Mayhem right now.

If we're talking about any kind of band, the list is this:

Top 3 by far:
Opeth
Hawkwind
Black Sabbath

A pretty solid 4th:
Bathory

For 5th, pretty much any of the following bands could qualify:
Cathedral
Dimmu Borgir
Therion
Morbid Angel
Iron Maiden
Ten Years After
Grateful Dead

Anthrax
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Bon Jovi (80s material)
Pantera (80s material and Cowboys From Hell)

Man that's tough... well I know that Slayer, Dead Can Dance and Burzum would have to be high on my list... lots of other favorites also but I can't narrow it done specifically to five bands.

5 bands is not enough. 8 minimum.

At the Gates
Napalm Death
Emperor
Ulver
Enslaved
Crowbar
Obituary
Burzum