What are your most "negative" albums?

Warning - Watching from a Distance if I'm really depressed.

Mayhem - Whore if I'm really angry.

It... IS, but it's also kinda dull, y'know? I feel bad for that because there are tons of non-metal albums that are oppressively negative, but in Godspeed's case listening to it is kind of a chore.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Shining - VII: Född förlorare, although I'm kinda on the fence if it's their most outright negative album.

Also Wound Upon Wound - s/t, black/doom from Ireland I pimped earlier this year that blew my asshole apart. Almost harrowing at times, way worth the listen, and it's all free on bandcamp: http://wounduponwound.bandcamp.com/

Yeah, that may be true, but Woods 5 is still unbelievably dark and bleak. I have yet to come across an album that evokes such dark emotions.
It is gorgeous :)

This version of this track has always been by far the one song they released drenched in the most negativity for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only album of theirs I've listened is Woods V and it's pretty effing powerful.

Breach - It's Me God

There's some supremely negative shit going down in the "hipstery" areas of metal as well. I put that term in quotes because I don't REALLY mean hipster, more like metal that's just "not trve"

YES! Breach is fucking killer and never get mentioned around here. I guess they're considered metalcore, but more in the Converge sense than some cheesy band like God Forbid.

Converge has some albums that definitely fall into category of 'most negative' albums... They're another band I never see mentioned here.

YES! Breach is fucking killer and never get mentioned around here. I guess they're considered metalcore, but more in the Converge sense than some cheesy band like God Forbid.

Checking them out now, I like.

Converge has some albums that definitely fall into category of 'most negative' albums... They're another band I never see mentioned here.

I love Converge, don't really consider them dark or negative though.

Yeah, I don't know how this doesn't come off as horrifically cheesy to the rest of you.

Woods of Ypres do have some rather cheesy moments (particularly on the third album,) but it's primarily the good type of cheese and, at least for me, doesn't really detract from the music at all. I've just always enjoyed David Gold's approach. I can understand how it wouldn't appeal to everyone, though.

As for Warning's Watching from a Distance, I've always found that to be quite a positive album. It's coming from a dark place, but I've always thought it was always looking towards the light.

These are the albums that fit the bill for me:
Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony
Austere - To Lay Like Old Ashes
Doom:VS - Aeternum Vale
Make a Change... Kill Yourself - Make a Change... Kill Yourself
Mournful Congregation - The Monad Of Creation
Remembrance - Frail Visions
Shining - IV - The Eerie Cold
Sterbend - Dwelling Lifeless
Xasthur - To Violate the Oblivious

Strapping Young Lad have plenty of negative songs, but they're spread across the first 4 albums. If they were all on one album, I think that would be at the top of the 'wanting everything and everyone to die' ranks.

I'd like to point out that (although some AWESOME suggestions are here), "negative" doesn't always mean "depressing". You can also have pure misanthropy, like in the sludge/post albums that are floating around on here.

A few more submissions:

Rotten Sound - Cycles
Khanate - Things Viral
Elitist - Fear in a Handful of Dust
Swarm of the Lotus - When White Becomes Black

SotL is just shredding my eardrums right now. Definitely love bands where it almost sounds painful for the vocalist to get through each track.

Just want to reinforce Carissa's Wierd here in this topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Love Sex Machine. It's like Black Sheep Wall without the bass drops and more "distant" vox. Perfect for me right now.

I dunno, I think pretty much anything Swans fits. The Seer is a rough damn album and that just came out last year.