what death band in your opinion....

Kutryer said:
I appreciate the music for the music, not for how it came to be. That does not make me ignorant, I just choose not to research the music genre outside of the music itself. I discuss music, I am not really fond of music history, as it doesn't spark my interest. Being a musician, I like to analyze the music, play it, figure out how they made the music. I'm ignorant to the development of a music genre, if that's what you're trying to say. I would rather listen to the music then learn about the people who made it.

Yeah though all of that is pretty irrelevant to what we're discussing, if you don't know and don't care to learn what the term death metal means, don't use it.

To adress the topic of what LOG actually are, I think I agree with what Grim said before about them being mostly just Pantera influenced modern metal with breakdowns, not metalcore which is defined by more substantial use of -core derived riffs, drumming, etc. I think the argument isn't about the classification of one band, but rather what metalcore actually is.

I could almost see Lamb of God being called metalcore, if metalcore was meant as Earth Crisis and Integrity type bands.

But, of course, metalcore these days means Killswitch Engage and Atreyu, who bear little to no resemblence to LoG.

ender7227 said:
How the fuck are they metalcore? I can understand Groove metal, in their huge Pantera influence, but metalcore? Not in hell. Bullet for my Valentine is metalcore. Does LOG sound anything like BFMV? Nope.
ARE BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE ONE OF THEM EMOS BAND DUDE:kickass: :Smokin:

LordoftheStorms said:
But, of course, metalcore these days means Killswitch Engage and Atreyu, who bear little to no resemblence to LoG.

It can also mean Botch and Converge, who are nothing like those two bands. No wonder it gets misused when its used to refer to such a wide range of bands.

>>>>You should still make an effort to have decent taste in music instead of arguing with people that bands like slipknot are good when there is all kinds of music from many many years ago to now that exist. You look ignorant as hell.

lol - stop judging people just because they like one band you don't. :)

Big deal, so I like the first two Slipknot CDs? So? I also like to listen to The Cars, TATU, 80's music, and other random non-metal CD's when I'm in the mood.

I'm sure out of my 500 metal CD's, most of you guys would like about 75% of them. We share taste in decent music...just not all. I'm just saying I don't think comple technical songwriting equates to being "good." If it doesn't hold your interest, how brilliant can it be?

Scott

PS - Sentenced puts people to sleep faster than a Turkey dinner!

cookiecutter said:
:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: to that! I only have Harnessing Ruin but the guitar is very distinctive, very good, and always interesting. He should get more credit.

Harnessing Ruin is a great newer death metal album. Immolation still has a lot better so without a doubt look into their older albums. Unholy Cult which came out before harnessing ruin is a lot better.

My favorite Immolation cds

Here In After
Dawn of Possession
Failures For Gods (You can't go wrong with any immolation imo)

The new drummer while being good pales in comparison to Alex and the drummer before, and yes vigna has very distinct guitar playing.

Kutryer said:
In terms of talent, I'd would have to say Lamb of God. They've got some fucking talented musicians, though they are more mainstream then what the majority of the people on this forum like. Death is high up there on my list as well. Opeth has some very hard songs to play as well. Necrophagist has some EXTREMELY talented musicians, but it all sounds like wankery to me. All those high notes and sweeping gets annoying after a while.

Lamb of God and Opeth aren't death metal. Necrophagist is amazing I'm gonna go with them.

ender7227 said:
How the fuck are they metalcore? I can understand Groove metal, in their huge Pantera influence, but metalcore? Not in hell. Bullet for my Valentine is metalcore. Does LOG sound anything like BFMV? Nope.

Not every metalcore band has emo influences like Bullet for my Valentine although I still don't like metalcore as a whole. I do like Lamb of God and Unearth however.

Lamb Of God members said they were trying to make some kind of mix of death, black and prog rock...