DEATH METAL........guys i just dont get it ...!

BoogieMk1

Jun 25, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
ive been a metaller since i was 10, im 33 now and a serious guitarist of 22 yrs playing. ive dug the hardest thrash, neoclassic rock , power metal, LA metal , 80s metal ..in fact most types bar the shit that is nu-metal or bollocks like def leppard or bon jovi.

i just dont see ANYTHING in death metal. i downloaded a wealth of stuff from the web of death metal bands, i found in the big majority of material, some of the most mundane open E riffing throughout , simply appalling vocals "bleeuughhhh aarrrgghh wooaaaghhhh frrrrfffgggggh"! being the "singing" style that prevailed.

i know death metal is big here and im askin its fans , what is it you guys hear in it that draws you to it, what am i not hearing ? :yell:

it depends what you've looked at really, i mean you get all the shitty generic death metal cannibal corpse style crap that i cant stand, you know the whole thing of trying to have the most disgusting name etc.. then you get excellent death metal bands like decapitated, nile, morbid angel, death etc... It's a hard sub-genre to get into and i can see where you're coming from, i guess people like the intensity and the technicality

Death Metal is the most intelligent music ever, it's music is designed to reflect Nihilism and the vocalists use their throats to represent torture, pain and suffering. Before you criticize it, trey reading some proper lyrics and you will find that they're much more intelligent and well thought out than most Metal bands.

BoogieMk1 said:
ive been a metaller since i was 10, im 33 now and a serious guitarist of 22 yrs playing. ive dug the hardest thrash, neoclassic rock , power metal, LA metal , 80s metal ..in fact most types bar the shit that is nu-metal or bollocks like def leppard or bon jovi.

i just dont see ANYTHING in death metal. i downloaded a wealth of stuff from the web of death metal bands, i found in the big majority of material, some of the most mundane open E riffing throughout , simply appalling vocals "bleeuughhhh aarrrgghh wooaaaghhhh frrrrfffgggggh"! being the "singing" style that prevailed.

i know death metal is big here and im askin its fans , what is it you guys hear in it that draws you to it, what am i not hearing ? :yell:

Which bands did you download? Morbid Angel or Vader, for example, are not exactly known for their simplistic riffing style. That vocal technique is (brace yourself) actually enjoyed by a lot of DM fans. We even sometimes get people in the Musicians Discussion forum asking for techniques on how to do it properly.

If you come from an ultra-melodic-metal background, it might take you a while to get into it. Try going back to the beginning and listening to some early Death ("Scream Bloody Gore", "Leprosy"), for example. You'll be able to find the thrash roots and work your way up (or down, depending on your perspective).

Sonicarnal Artist said:
*sighs*

The vocals correspond with the music perfectly. It would be horrible to have insanely brutal, dark, vicious, and violent music with 'pretty singing.'

Exactly. It angers me when people say "the vocals this! The vocals that!" They don't think.

Boogie, Death Metal isn't for everyone.

Death metal is my favorite genre. Yeah, there is no vocal melody in death metal, but death metal is all about the instrumentation. I don't like all death metal bands. Some are too simplisic for me, or too boring and not innovative enough. I love the technical riffing, progressive song structures, and tight musicianship. Also, some death metal riffs can be very hard to play, and I as a guitarist find that very impressive. In good death metal bands, the guitarists and drummers must be very proficient at their instruments. As for the vocals, I think that they fit with the music - they are angry and aggressive.

Although death metal isn't my favorite category to buy, there's some great stuff that's out there and I'm kinda picky about what I buy. Catchy, chunky riffs and a great rhythm is a staple, but sometimes I hear some vocals that are so deep and demonic that I get chills. It just depends. I do listen to Morbid Angel, Decapitated, Nile, Aeternus, Bolt Thrower, old Cannibal Corpse, Jungle Rot, and a few others. If it's good and I catch wind of it, I buy it.

Well can you honestly imagin Angela from Arch enemy singing a britney spears cover while the rest of the band pretend to strum away live onstage?

What else do you think they are going to sing/growl about? That bit doesnt annoy me as the majority of Death Metal has the better background to other versions and styles of Metal. Its Black Metal that I see as "roar roar roar" tbh.

BOOGIE MK1: Death Metal is, indeed, a rough subject to dicuss. We all like it for different reasons and I, personally, love Death Metal for it's intensity. Heavy, insanely thought-out riffs and abundant hooks are what I look for in Death Metal.

Check out bands like Aborted, Decapitated, Vital Remains, Illdisposed, Vader, Ressurection, Hate Eternal, Morbid Angel and Suffocation. They will open your eyes a bit.

You have to let yourself really get into the music, rhythmically, and allow yourself to experiment with many different DM bands before you pass judgment on Death Metal itself, and draw conclusions.

Good luck!

:hotjump:

If you get bored with the basis brutal Death Metal, check out some of these Melodic Metal bands that are sure to capture your attention:

Without Grief
Into Eternity
EMBRACED - Great melodic Black/Death Metal from Sweden
Evergrey
Disbelief
Edge of Sanity
Hypocrisy
Ablaze My Sorrow - Anger Hate, and Fury
Darkane
Illdisposed - newest shit (Kokaniium)
A Canorous Quintet
Evenfall
Dead Silent Slumber
My Dying Bride
Runemagick
Sins of Omission
The Project Hate

christcrusher said:
If you get bored with the basis brutal Death Metal, check out some of these Melodic Metal bands that are sure to capture your attention:

Without Grief
Into Eternity
EMBRACED - Great melodic Black/Death Metal from Sweden
Evergrey
Disbelief
Edge of Sanity
Hypocrisy
Ablaze My Sorrow - Anger Hate, and Fury
Darkane
Illdisposed - newest shit (Kokaniium)
A Canorous Quintet
Evenfall