what death band in your opinion....

Amarantus said:
How are they NOT metalcore?

top 5 reasons:

5. They don't have hardcore/metalcore vocals.
4. They don't have hardcore/metalcore riffs.
3. They don't have hardcore/metalcore beats, other than their breakdowns which honestly sound more like Pantera with a flatter and more linear syncopation, and even then they don't have very many of them.
3. They don't have hardcore lyrics/artwork/"image"
2. They don't sound like any hardcore or metalcore band which would have been called hardcore or metalcore before they came out, before people starting saying shit that sounds like Pantera is "-core".
1. They sound like Pantera.

also:

they sound like Slayer and Metallica, like every band of d00ds in their late 20's/early 30's that i have ever known.

i don't hate them at all, they're a good, kind of generic semi-extreme metal band, i thought the first album and the Burn The Priest one, at least, were well above average, and As The Palaces Burn, I thought, had some exceptionally good material, though that's mostly a credit to Devin Townsend.

the new one is pretty lame, tbh, and i don't particularly care what they do anymore cause i feel they've shown themselves to be creatively uninspired and somewhat incompetent when they don't have a decent producer.

5 pages and no mentions of Gorguts? Pfft.

Not that I'd necessarily deem them THE most technical, but they at least get an honorable mention.

I do have to give credit to Immolation though. They're far from the wankiest or the fastest, but they come across as both complex and unorthodox without being blatant about it. It's hard to sound as heavy as they do while playing in a very whacked-out meter. It probably also helps that they're one of the few bands who can be anti-Christian without sounding like lyrical buffoons.

Off topic...

I remember my first taste at death metal. It was Obituary's The End Complete about 12 years ago or so...when the original Ball was on.

anyway, I put the tape in the stereo, and the vocals made my ears bleed. lol Now they seem so tame.

I only mention that because my first taste of Immolation was like "whooooa holy noise and no talent!" Maybe I should try them again and see if I can appreciate them now.

Scott

I strongly recommend Close to a World Below and Unholy Cult, as they are both face-crushing, standard-setting albums for death metal. Children of Bodom fans need not apply.

Teh Grimarse said:
top 5 reasons:
2. They don't sound like any hardcore or metalcore band

They certainly don't sound like any traditional, death, black, thrash, doom, math, tech, power, grindcore, folk, glam, or speed metal band. So what are they? It's just easiest to label them shit and move on.

imo

>>>Children of Bodom fans need not apply.

Right, because if you like brutal death you're not allowed to like melodic death...*rolls eyes*

Remember when CoB used to be cool? Like when LoG first came out before they went mainstream...

Scott

Amarantus said:
They certainly don't sound like any traditional, death, black, thrash, doom, math, tech, power, grindcore, folk, glam, or speed metal band. So what are they? It's just easiest to label them shit and move on.

imo

They dont sound like any traditional genre coz they mix genres and use elements of them. They are not metalcore. And not shit.

Teh Grimarse said:
top 5 reasons:

5. They don't have hardcore/metalcore vocals.
4. They don't have hardcore/metalcore riffs.
3. They don't have hardcore/metalcore beats, other than their breakdowns which honestly sound more like Pantera with a flatter and more linear syncopation, and even then they don't have very many of them.
3. They don't have hardcore lyrics/artwork/"image"
2. They don't sound like any hardcore or metalcore band which would have been called hardcore or metalcore before they came out, before people starting saying shit that sounds like Pantera is "-core".
1. They sound like Pantera.

also:

they sound like Slayer and Metallica, like every band of d00ds in their late 20's/early 30's that i have ever known.

i don't hate them at all, they're a good, kind of generic semi-extreme metal band, i thought the first album and the Burn The Priest one, at least, were well above average, and As The Palaces Burn, I thought, had some exceptionally good material, though that's mostly a credit to Devin Townsend.

the new one is pretty lame, tbh, and i don't particularly care what they do anymore cause i feel they've shown themselves to be creatively uninspired and somewhat incompetent when they don't have a decent producer.
Thank'ee