what do you think is the greatest Metal album ever

Guardian of Darkness said:
Of course, knowledge of music, of the ideologies present, of the developmental history of metal, intelligence, etc etc, make people more apt to analyse than other people. I only stated the sound-progressions thing to show that art wasn't entirely subjective.

Note the word proven.
Of course, there are many people here who know far more about music than you, far more about the development of metal than you, are obviously far more intelligent than you and, by your logic, are therefore far more apt to analyse music than you. Interesting to note that you're almost the only one who's so unjustifiably arrogant that you'll cringe when you read your posts in a year or two, just like you cringe when you read your older posts now.

Ill say it again, we need to stop having these best of threads. All of these threads end up with the same boring argument as to subjectivity etc. Its a post-modern word here people. There are no absolutes.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Mortician make a mockery of Death Metal's attempt to oppose Judeo-Christian ideals. Get gassed, jewkike.

nice.

how exactly does Mortician make a mockery of Death Metal's attempt to oppose Judeo-Christian ideals? And, what other bands do you consider to excel at "opposing Judeo-Christian ideals"?

Mortician rules, by the way.

Read the preceeding couple of posts (I don't blame you for not doing so, this thread is rather banal) and you'll realise I wasn't being serious. Then again, Mortician is like the Kevin Costner of crap. By the way.

Thread Title: What Do You Think Is The Greatest Metal Album Ever?

Therefore, every post is an opinion.

And all people are equal. All opinions are valid.

If I said Godsmack's Awake was the best metal album ever, that would be a valid opinion, because the thread called for it.

#1 is REIGN IN BLOOD by far
after a couple of miles you can see
2. pleasure to kill
3. Hell Awaits

then in no order:
Possessed by fire
Seven Churches
Terror Squad
Death Squad
sentence of Death
Black Metal
Handle with Care
The Upcoming Terror
Ceremony of the opposites
Kill em all
The gathering
Dechristianize
Altars of Madness
Eaten back to life
In the sign of evil
Ticket To Mayhem
Litany
Enemy of the music Business
Zombie Attack
Epidemic of Violence
Restless and Wild
HAll of the mountain king
Spectrum of Death
Forever Underground
Inwards
slaughter of the soul
Alice in hell
Bonded by blood
Fear of tomorrow
Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
Defenders of the faith
Painkiller
Show no mercy
Hobbs angel of death
Darkness Descends
Shattered Existence
Feel the fire
Mekong Delta
Mayhemic Destruction

Either ...and Justice for All or Death's Human. I saw Metallica Saturday, and though their musical output has been shitty for the last 13 or so years, they still own all live.

Profånity said:
Iron Maiden - Powerslave

From start to finish it's the finest quality Metal with new ideas, some of the best songwriting, some of the best Metal tracks and some of the best instrumentation ever.
After much deliberation and soul searching, i'm going to retract my earlier nomination for Stratovarius - Elements Pt. II and side with Profanity for Iron Maiden's Powerslave.

It's as perfect a metal album as i'm ever likely to hear.

rotfl.gif

Narrowing down to 1 is impossible, considering all that must be taken into account such as historical impact, how it holds up over the years, and many other factors...

So, I can only pick my favorite. Carcass - 'Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious'