What gigs have you seen lately?

I saw Aerosmith and was very underwhelmed. At least I've seen them now, I guess.

I'm seeing Rush and Kiss next month (Rush on June 2 and 4 in Amsterdam and Cologne respectively - can't believe I'm finally seeing them! - and Kiss in Norway and Denmark) and then going to Download with Maiden headlining the second night. Then I'm seeing Steve Vai in July, with no other concerts lined up after that. Toying with seeing Amorphis, but haven't listened to them since Am Universum and don't even know what they're like now.

I was supposed to see him in Brisbane but his gig was cancelled. I was gutted - you guys know how much I love him. He still hasn't played here yet.

I'll have to go down to Sydney next time and see him there.

Pretend like you wont see him if he plays Brisbane, and then just carry out a surprise appearance.

Yes Spiffo, I am saying he doesn't play here because he knows your going to show up....

Cradle of Filth a couple of weeks ago was a rad gig. Awesome sound and a great set, but seemed a tad short or lacking a few classics or something. Still a top gig though.

Wolfmother are playing down the road from me tonight for free, and I wanted to go but didn't get there early enough and the place was packed. Oh well.

Next for me is Graspop and Rock Werchter festivals in June/July. Highlights will be Maiden, Twisted Sister, Depeche Mode, Editors, Rammstein, and more. I have wood.

Over the last three weeks I've seen:

Rush in Amsterdam (left after the first part of the show due to a terrible headache - a shame because the gig was the reason I was there).
Rush in Cologne. Awesome. A dream come true to finally see them.
Kiss in Stavanger, Norway. Good gig, with the whole thing in daylight because it was outdoors and the sun starts to set at around 11pm. Too many people talking throughout, though.
Kiss in Copenhagen, Denmark. Great show. Same setlist as Norway.

And then I saw the following bands at Donington, sort of in order of appearance:

Rise to Remain
Uriah Heep
Dragonforce
Europe
Volbeat
Bullet for my Valentine
Black Stone Cherry
UFO
Heaven's Basement
Hardcore Superstar
Escape the Fate
Katatonia
Karnivool
Thunder
Lit
Jimmy Eat World
Iron Maiden
Blitz Kids
Hellyeah
The Ghost Inside
Graveyard
Masters of Reality
Amon Amarth
Rival Sons
Ghost
Airbourne

Next gig is Steve Vai in Brisbane.

I saw Fear Factory on Sunday night. It was great to see them do all of Demanufacture. I think I actually preferred their gig last year though, for there was a better crowd on the floor, with nobody being a dickhead.

One thing I love about them is how clinical they are. I don't want every band to be like that, but I dig it with them. Burton's voice is stuffed though.

I saw Jesus Christ Superstar last weekend. Twice.

Who's playing Jesus these days?

Who's playing Jesus these days?

Guy called Ben Forster. He got the part through one of these talent show things in the UK called "Superstar", where the prize was the role of Jesus in the big O2 concert spectacular (which this was the touring version of, I believe).

He was really, really good, as was Tim Minchin who played Judas.

Back from another festival orientated holiday. This year I hit up Graspop Metal Meeting and Rock Werchter again, here is who I saw:

Airbourne
Alt-J
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Bloc Party
Bullet for my Valentine
Depeche Mode
Editors
Ghost
Gogol Bordello
Grave Digger
Green Day (only a couple of songs)
Helloween
Iced Earth
In Flames
Iron Maiden
Katatonia
Kings of Leon
Korn (only a couple of songs)
Korpiklaani
Moonspell (only a couple of songs)
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (only a couple of songs)
Of Monsters And Men
Rammstein
Red Fang
Saxon (only a couple of songs)
Soulfly (only a couple of songs)
Testament (only a couple of songs)
Twisted Sister
Varg (only a couple of songs)
Volbeat
Within Temptation

Lots of highlights. Was my second time seeing Gogol Bordello, and they didn't disappoint. One of the most fun bands I've seen and perfect for a music festival in the afternoon sunshine.

Within Temptation were top notch. Sharon is one amazing vocalist. I haven't listened to them much in years but this set prompted me to check out their latest album.

Twisted Sister were excellent, and it was great to finally see them. Unfortunately for them they were battling some pretty heavy rain, but the show kept rocking on.

Maiden were brilliant as always. Afraid to Shoot Strangers and Phantom of the Opera were set highlights for mine. Awesome.

Was awesome getting to finally see Depeche Mode. They played a great set of old and new. Dave Gahan is a sexy beast.

Korpiklaani made me lose my shit. So much beer and boogie.

Iced Earth really blew my hair back as well. Was great to be so pleasantly surprised by Stu Block's vocals.

I really enjoyed Bloc Party as well. Heaps more good times to other bands as well!

First gig that I've been to in months (basically haven't been to a gig where I wasn't working since the last tiem Lord played Canberra, after Bucko passed) was on friday just passed with Dreadnaught & Frankenbok at the Brisbane Hotel in Hobart.

Basically went to check out the venue without Frenzal Rom fans clogging up the place and because I used to roadie for both bands way back in the day.

Both put on great sets and was nice to catch up with them (some members remembered me from the RockApe days).

the supports where System of Venus -which is an awesome female lead stoner rock band from Melbourne. Highly recommend that people catch them for their epic grooves. And local boys Gape (featuring members of MSI), who did some great old school grind.

was nice to get out. will be trying to see Psycroptic when they play down here in a week or two.

I saw Steve Vai last month. Front row tickets, a friend who is a huge fan bought them. I didn't actually recognise the majority of the songs because I haven't listened to anything in years, but it was a great show.

I railed it at Metallica at SW13, I had to be resilient throughout the day when I got to the front of the crowd but it was worth it:
881918_10151301662818053_525703037_o.jpg

Being the big long-time Limp Bizkit fan that I am (since about 2000/2001), I saw them at Festival Hall on the 27th of last month. Again I got close to the stage and had Fred Durst point the mic at me during the bridge of Hot Dog:
1382848_10151685908013053_1493965393_n.jpg

Looking forward to SW14 next year and there's a possibility that Maiden could be out as a third SW14 headliner or another time in 2014 for their own headliner tour (more likely the latter) which could either be a continuation of Maiden England or their 16th album tour. If it's a 16th album tour I hope there's still a decent number of 80's songs in the set list.

Saw Korpiklaani thursday week ago.

Incredible set, more so for being on such a tiny tiny stage.
Great energy and they had the crowd in the palm of their hand, despite most people not know the language or even many of their songs.

Think most people were just happy to see an international act in Tassie for once.

I keep hearing about Korpiklaani. Should really give them a listen! I assume they're Finnish?

Good work, bozza! I wish I had the dedication to get right up the front these days.

I saw The Cult at Festival Hall the other week. Good show. Dunno why Ian speaks with an American accent on stage though.