What got you into prog music Mike?

Metalstrm

On the Serpentine Path
Apr 16, 2005
Malta
(or anyone at all)..

I remember my first prog album was The Division Bell by PF back when I was 13 or so. I was rummaging through my uncle's stuff and I found this CD without any name on it, said what the hell, let's see what it is. And I was blown away with the melancholic music of PF. After a few years, I was introduced to Dream Theater and gradually started getting more into prog. The revelation occurred when I was 17 or so. I discovered Camel and Yes and King Crimson (yeah I didn't get to them through Opeth), and then Opeth. Rush I never got into, primarily because of the vocals.

I was quite delighted when I learned that Mike actually liked Camel and KC. The band I'm really grateful I got to through Opeth was Porcupine Tree, the PF of modern music. Then through www.progarchives.com, which I suggest to anyone into progressive music of any kind, I learned of bands like Pineapple Thief, Dredg, Vauxdvihl, Dark Suns, and more. The list goes on and on.

So, what got you into the scene, and when?

As funny as it sounds, I would say that Mudvayne was a band that kind of opened my door to prog. I know that they can hardly be considered progressive, but L.D. 50 did have some aspects of the genre. Most importantly, after listening to them, I began drifting away from all the other nu-metal shit. After Mudvayne, I really got into Dream Theater (who I still enjoy), and then Opeth. Now, I've been listening to classic prog rock a lot more (Yes, Genesis, Can, etc.) and some jazz fusion (not too much though).

a lot of the beatles stuff (rubber soul and on), i consider progressive. grew up on them, as well as yes. yes, to me, have credit to two of the ultimate prog albums (fragile, close to the edge). gentle giant is also really good. king crimson is also good, although bruford should have stayed in yes.

Dream Theater got me into prog. The first prog album I've ever heard is Scenes From A Memory and it's still my favorite prog album. Since then I'Ve become an Opeth fan and I've discovered Porcupine Tree. Pink Floyd was also a big thing for me.

Yeah i know, me neither, but... depends on how you define prog i guess.
If we look at the wiki description of prog, Anathemas history and progression through the years, and the way their music build energy, then they certainly match the description.
They are also listed in the progarchive.

getting into pink floyd, dream theater, and opeth opened my eyes to some prog. im not that big of a prog fan, but I've gotten some great recomendations from this forum too. Im especially thankful for NFU for pointing me to Nektar.

(or anyone at all)..
I remember my first prog album was The Division Bell by PF back when I was 13 or so.

More of a pop album than prog really, that one. Close enough though, and certainly a gateway album to Prog.

My brother was a big fan of Canadian prog bands like Rush (of course), Saga, and FM. Saga especially was a great pop/prog hybrid.

I went to Sweden for a semester in college in 1999. The guy across from my dorm always listened to Camel and turned me on to all the obscure 70's stuff.

Mmm, it must have been Pink Floyd's Animals for me. I first heard it when I was 11 or 12... first I found it to be too obscure for me but later I fell in love with it. I still think it's Floyd's best. Then I got into Yes...

My dad plays Rush when we are driving places every now and then.

haha. when i was a kid my dad did the same. i grew up around rush, yes, king crimson, genesis, asia, elp and others mainly in the car so prog was never a designated musical venture for me really.

An old friend (well, I don't really know him anymore) that was in a punk band (!) played Yes to me thinking I might like it. He was right, I started looking for any odd stuff in the 2nd hand record stores pretty much immediately. This was in 1991 I believe and that's when the sound of Opeth started to change.

I still like Yes as well!
Cheers
Mike