What happened to this forum?

My question would be, if you don't mind me asking, who do you need to be to give your opinion on this forum???

I'm not saying less experienced people shouldn't share their opinion, ask questions etc.. The kind of people whom I was targeting with my message are the ones that have almost no experience, come up with flawed tutorials/techniques and then preach those things like they are the holy grail. A little 10 minutes on youtube will reveal a few thousands of these people hehe.

What I was getting to, is that since there are so much of those people on the internet, the casual noob starting in audio is lost in a sea of bad info and ignores that a specialized place like this exists. He ends up losing interest and missing out, thus, contributing to the decline of this forum.

Sorry if I worded that a bit badly the first time.

I'm not saying less experienced people shouldn't share their opinion, ask questions etc.. The kind of people whom I was targeting with my message are the ones that have almost no experience, come up with flawed tutorials/techniques and then preach those things like they are the holy grail. A little 10 minutes on youtube will reveal a few thousands of these people hehe.

What I was getting to, is that since there are so much of those people on the internet, the casual noob starting in audio is lost in a sea of bad info and ignores that a specialized place like this exists. He ends up losing interest and missing out, thus, contributing to the decline of this forum.

Sorry if I worded that a bit badly the first time.

Haha I hear ya! I was pretty sure you didn't mean that "Unless you have had a studio for 10 years, no one cares what you say", but I thought I'd ask for the benefit of anybody who would have thought that it was indeed what you meant! XD

Haha I hear ya! I was pretty sure you didn't mean that "Unless you have had a studio for 10 years, no one cares what you say", but I thought I'd ask for the benefit of anybody who would have thought that it was indeed what you meant! XD
Dat devil's advocate :D Well, the truth is that there are so many new people sharing unchecked information at forums related to audio that its a total mindfield for beginners. This forum has to stand out though, liked it used in the past...

Dat devil's advocate :D Well, the truth is that there are so many new people sharing unchecked information at forums related to audio that its a total mindfield for beginners. This forum has to stand out though, liked it used in the past...

Very true, however anybody with a functionning brain and with the will to experiment will be able to filter the bullshit, or at least I think.

Plus, even seniors can sometimes say crap. I was listening to Glenn (Fricker) a few minutes ago saying that room accoustic treatment is the second thing you should do after purchasing an interface when you want to beginning recording... I get what he meant, but seriously, the SECOND thing you should spend money on? I'm sure he didn't think this through.

Last edited:
it could also be, how many ways can you explain the same info over again? there are specialized circumstances i.e. someone has an odd problem and they post a clip, but how many times can you post the same info about micing a v30 or splitting your bass tracks up? it's great info, which has helped me a lot over the years, but if there is no new info to post, how can you expect to have new content?

Reactions: kaomao
Very true, however anybody with a functionning brain and with the will to experiment will be able to filter the bullshit, or at least I think.

Plus, even seniors can sometimes say crap. I was listening to Glenn (Fricker) a few minutes ago saying that room accoustic treatment is the second thing you should do after purchasing an interface when you want to beginning recording... I get what he meant, but seriously, the SECOND thing you should spend money on? I'm sure he didn't think this through.
I watched his last video few hours ago too and even if it surprised me a bit at first, you have to consider he was talking about the influence the room had on the guitar tone when he was micing the cab, he was losing low end so maybe he is not that wrong. He may exaggerated a bit but i believe too that a good room for recording can solve way too many problems when is mixing time.

Last edited:
it could also be, how many ways can you explain the same info over again? there are specialized circumstances i.e. someone has an odd problem and they post a clip, but how many times can you post the same info about micing a v30 or splitting your bass tracks up? it's great info, which has helped me a lot over the years, but if there is no new info to post, how can you expect to have new content?
Yea that bothers me too man, and right when i said the forum was gold i encountered 3-4 pages (of early 2011) full of generic and boring threads :p

In my opinion if Fricker said the second thing one should buy is acoustic treatment it is just to emphasise the fact that it is quite overlooked, it is part of his character to use rather extreme shortcuts because that's what people focus on and remember.
For me it's just that he doesn't think people take what he says as the bible and balance it with other opinions, so saying it's THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO might make people do it a little sooner...

Anyway I agree with Ashgallows, there's no real point in rehasing the same tips over and over, as they are so easy to access thanks to the sticky threads, research function and so on.

Yes I'm sure that it is what Glenn meant, but I'm an advocate of really saying what I really mean. Therefore I wouldn't tell kids spend hundreds or thousands of dollars in room treatment as the most important thing if I actually don't think it is THE MOST important thing.

Anyway enough about Glenn! :)

As I recall, Glenn has always recommended DIY acoustic treatment, in which case you can treat a decent-sized room in a house for a couple hundred dollars.

I'd go Interface --> Monitors --> Treatment, myself, but treating rooms definitely seems to be what separates the men from the boys in this field. Now if only I had a large enough room to be worth treating....

Fuck. I can't remember what year I joined this forum, but I want to say 2008 maybe?

It used to be my Internet place. Like if I was on the Internet I was checking my email, looking something up, or hanging out on the sneap forum.

My wife started cheating on me and I kind of lost all of my drive for any sort of leisure time that would let me be alone with my thoughts, and I stopped coming here. I've since been divorced and kind of developed a whole new life. I'm still passionate about audio, but I've sold so much gear that I basically went from a guy who would do mobile recordings for bands to a sort of bedroom tinkerer.

I would sometimes wonder how all the guys on the forum were doing, and tonight I came back to see what kind of cool conversations were going on that I've been missing out on, and I've found that it's a ghost town.

I've met some cool people here who I am still friends with, and Ola will always be "Godamnguitar (Or whatever his username was) from the Sneap Forum."

Oh! And Jormyn! Your room IS big enough to treat! Allow me to be the 400th guy to say, "Trust me, acoustic treatment is that important."

My music room is like 7'x9' with a low ceiling. Horrible. I made some bass traps and bought a couple more and while I still have issues, my horrible mixes instantly got a shit ton less horrible with the treatment.

I had a massive dip at like 95hz or something like that, right at the mix position, and while the treatment didn't flatten that out completely, it definitely smoothed it a lot. I'm no longer having to search for that frequency in the bass and/or kick.

Oh, and get a measurement mic while you're at it if you don't already have one. Dayton makes one for like $60 (amazon) and there's a free program that will take snapshots of your monitors and room so you can make sense of what your speakers are telling you.

The room we have to jam is a very small room, and it's got insane reverberation. So I don't think there is a minimal room size to do it. I don't do it purely because I live in an apartment! (don't feel like doing it every time I move around, cause yes, I often change of apartment!)

Didn't read all the posts so my input may be already said but I think all the major tips are available here already and elsewhere. It's pretty easy to find courses on the web now. The gear in general is more effective and cheaper for some of them (greater results wth less skills if that makes sense). So what was making this forum very special and unique back in the day is slowly fading out and resulting in less activity/interaction.

AND I personally must admit that covers with amp sims and midi drums don't interest me. Not music wise nor production wise nor gear wise. Not at all to be honest. And this is what I see most of the time in the practice/rate my mix section now. What interests me is how good/surprising/powerful real drums can sound, how sweet/unique a real amp with real cab can sounds because there is work and creativity behind that. That's what I call production and that's what this forum is about after all.

AND I personally must admit that covers with amp sims and midi drums don't interest me. Not music wise nor production wise nor gear wise. Not at all to be honest. And this is what I see most of the time in the practice/rate my mix section now.

This could been fixed pretty easily by adding some sub sections to the Practice Room so the there would be only a one subforum cluttered with those cover mix practices with pretty much fake everything, one with everything real but drums and one with pretty much all real instruments for example (or something among those lines). But no, that doesn't happen and nobody's happy.

Reactions: H-evolve
There's more replies on this thread about the forum being dead than there are on most of the decent topics. In fact variations on the "what happened to the forum?" seem to be one of the most frequently posted topics recently.

Go post in something interesting folks and the place will be much less dead!

Or even start a new topic, who cares if it's been done before, would be good to rehash some stuff or find some new approaches. Hell I'd even go for a "best metal guitar/bass amps?" thread.

I've got a bunch more mic shootouts I need to sort through and post up (there's a kick one in the backline section) and I'll be getting a new drum kit soon so might post some stuff about drum tuning.

I would be all about some practical info on drum tuning. I feel like I have a good grasp on most things but drum tuning is something I know little about.

There's more replies on this thread about the forum being dead than there are on most of the decent topics. In fact variations on the "what happened to the forum?" seem to be one of the most frequently posted topics recently.

Go post in something interesting folks and the place will be much less dead!

Or even start a new topic, who cares if it's been done before, would be good to rehash some stuff or find some new approaches. Hell I'd even go for a "best metal guitar/bass amps?" thread.

I've got a bunch more mic shootouts I need to sort through and post up (there's a kick one in the backline section) and I'll be getting a new drum kit soon so might post some stuff about drum tuning.
Well I cant wait for this post :)

Nothing happened to this forum, there is just a lack of demand of metal now a days. Lack of aspiring musicians in general. When I was growing up, it was the thing to go over to a friends' house and jam out in the garage. Now a days...kids are more concerned about raves and hipster events. Metalcore isn't even a thing anymore. At least thats how things are in California.