What if...

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
My first in a series of What Ifs, because im bored thats why :)

What if Metallica continued playing the same style of metal as RTL, MOP and AJFA, AJFA sold 3 million copies, so what would have happened if they hadnt changed their style? Still sold more? Sold less? Never heard from again?

They would have retained their existing fanbase and never once appeared on Video Hits :).

Two thoughts: Would they have changed direction and made so many mistakes in the last ten years if Cliff had still been alive, and would AJFA have been better than it already is if a) they put some bass into the mix and b) they cut "To Live Is To Die" down to four minutes or got rid of it altogether?

W

I dont know, maybe people would have gotten sick of the same style of album over and over? How many of those 3 million were brought in because of the video clip for One? MOP sold 500000 at the time, so lets assume for arguments sake that they sold 1 million copies of AJFA to die hard fans and new die hard fans, that leaves 2 million who may not have bought the next one?

Considering the first 4 albums were each different (albeit slightly), I'm sure they would have kept going.

And I don't think after appearing at the Grammys for 'One', it would be possible to drag Lars away from the limelight again ;)

I think they would have continued to sell less & less.

Look at Megadeth; Countdown sold a shit load. Youth and Cyrptic Writings were not that different sounding - but sold considerably less than the previous. Same thing happened with Maiden - and every glam band ever created!

Without the Black album being the success it was, and without Metallica regulary updating their sound/image - they would have become as redudant and unsucessful within the mainstream music industry as Anthrax, Testament and Megadeth today.

I agree with Sydo. Metallica would have always been remembered as one of the most 'influencial' and 'revolutionary' heavy acts in history, that never hit it big, even if their songwriting and material went from strength to strength.

As for Mustaine staying in Metallica, I think that would have robbed us of one great band, Megadeth! Dave has said it himself in interviews and the like, alot of the early Megadeth material came about from Dave striving to out-do what Metallica were doing, and show them up etc, so without that motivation, Megadeth would not have been so great, and perhaps not have existed. It is great when an artist leaves a band and starts their own group, and you end up with 2 great bands instead of one! Look at Blaze and Maiden. :headbang:

Would AJFA have sold 3 million if not for the black album? Or had it already sold 3m by the time black was released?

It had already sold 3 million by then, I think its up to 7 or 8 million now :eek:

Sydo said:
I think they would have continued to sell less & less.

Look at Megadeth; Countdown sold a shit load. Youth and Cyrptic Writings were not that different sounding - but sold considerably less than the previous. Same thing happened with Maiden - and every glam band ever created!

Without the Black album being the success it was, and without Metallica regulary updating their sound/image - they would have become as redudant and unsucessful within the mainstream music industry as Anthrax, Testament and Megadeth today.

[color=#AOEOOA]Cryptic Writings sold a fair few. Trust hit number one on the singles charts which led to a fair few sales. Not as much as CtE but still a fair damn few.[/color]